Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Fly Rod

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 colinthomas

i bought a ron thompson 7-8 9ft rod 15 years ago for 70 quid....if fished thousand of times and caught thousands of trout......im in a private club and my mate spent 800 on his and he catches no more than i do.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭madred006

i bought a ron thompson 7-8 9ft rod 15 years ago for 70 quid....if fished thousand of times and caught thousands of trout......im in a private club and my mate spent 800 on his and he catches no more than i do.:D
    So :D ur saying the rod makes no difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭stylie

I use Sage and Loomis rods and catch more fish than the guys I fish with. Fishing Western lough's I can cast further and fish longer. So there is a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

stylie wrote: »
    I use Sage and Loomis rods and catch more fish than the guys I fish with. Fishing Western lough's I can cast further and fish longer. So there is a difference.

Aye but you're a fishing god stylie:)

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭stylie

That too is true

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭pedro7

I learned to fly fish with my Dads Daiwa Whisker and Profly rods, these rods are great but not cheap by any means. When I went to buy my own rod, my local shop let me try a few out to see what I liked. The nicest rod I thought was a Shakespeare Odessy or one of the Soniks sk3 I think it was. I use the Shakey every weekend! its a great rod. available in loads of variations. Very light and very cheap. So if you decide in a couple weeks or months that fly fishing isn't for you then you don't have a small fortune sitting in a cupboard somewhere!

The only place I would say spend is on line. I recently bought some Daiwa wilderness line and found it excellent not to expensive either.

Weight forward (WF) lines I find, are a little easier to cast large distances. But for good technique and presentation of your flies I think double taper (DT) is best to learn with.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

would highly reccomend looking at something like 9'6'' 6# rod, its ideal for starting fly fishing its not to long for a trip to the local river neither is it too short for a trip stockie lakes, its best of both worlds , but if its just river trout 9' 4-5# is perfect and if its the lakes 10' 7# is ideal, see if you can pick up the old greys mk2 rod, are a serious piece of kit, but no longer made, you might just pick one up for around 75-125 quid , for a rod that originally sold for 235e! any thing by greys, airflo, daiwa, scierra, vision, all reasonably priced and good qyaliity! same go's for the reels and line! but would recommend a weight forward line!

I just bought this. Plastic is still on the handle and they sold for £180 in their day!

Advertisement