Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unacceptable words and phrases in this sub-forum

Options
  • 08-02-2012 12:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 78,308 ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone have anything to add to this list? Once the list is relatively complete, I'll create a poll. Only then will the list be considered operational (note some words are already included in the charter)

In using the word "Unacceptable", I mean that use of the word will be taken as an attempt to troll or insult.

* Loco-sexual - yes, I know, I invented it (in parallel with others)
    * Ginger beer
    * Chicken Dinner (including reference to any other type of meat)
    * Train spotter
    * Gricer
    * Fan boy
    * Basher (can someone explain this one?)
    * Anoraks
    * Tarquin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Anoraks.

Not used by us but by people who view our hobby as a bit 'funny'.

Following on from that,i've always detested the term 'train spotter'. Granted some go out to record loco/carriage numbers and the like but they're not hard to spot,great big hulking tons of metal that they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭CIE

lord lucan wrote: »
    Anoraks.

Following on from that,i've always detested the term 'train spotter'. Granted some go out to record loco/carriage numbers and the like but they're not hard to spot,great big hulking tons of metal that they are.
    "Gricer" as well?

lord lucan wrote: »
    Anoraks.

Agreed. An IE driver once asked me in Rathmore if I was a trainspotter. I reluctantly said I was.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

"Train" - Its a despicable word :P

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Rud

Gricer and trainspotter should definetaly be banned

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,873 ✭✭✭trellheim

Why ? And I really don't get the reference to Chicken dinners ( and I've hung around here, IRN and P11 for ages ) .

And face it - Gricers, bashers and spotters hang out here. SFW ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Tarquin, unless that is your name:D

trellheim wrote: »
    Why ? And I really don't get the reference to Chicken dinners ( and I've hung around here, IRN and P11 for ages ) .
    I think I'm right with this one... It's usually considered a bash at the IRRS, who would often run final railtours over soon to be closed lines. Chicken was usually on the menu of such tours. Spawned other terms such as the "grim reaper train."

• Registered Users Posts: 24,479 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Rud wrote: »
    Gricer and trainspotter should definetaly be banned

disagree, they're common terms used everywhere and are not meant in any kind of desultory way. I'd also disagree with loco-sexual tbh, I quite like it as a term

Chicken Dinner and ginger beer I'd agree with due to the history on this forum to a certain extent but the whole concept of formally banning words seem a bit OTT to me.

Anoraks and Tarquin are more valid as they can be construed as offensive to some I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

RUI/Platform 11
    IRN - Smokebox1 in particular
    Save the Rail
    The Big Dick - when referring to Mr.Fearn
    Turbulent Priest - when referring to Fr.Reg Bryan.
    WOT
    Fitzpatrick's Grand Central Hotel New York - in particular the Wheel Tappers Bar (below).

125202603_ddd7333545_z.jpg

In before the lock. :D Night all!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,308 ✭✭✭✭Victor

RUI/Platform 11
    Why?
    IRN
    Why?
    Smokebox1 in particular
    Is this a username?
    Save the Rail
    Why?
    The Big Dick - when referring to Mr.Fearn
    Fair enough.
    Turbulent Priest - when referring to Fr.Reg Bryan.
    Fair enough.
    WOT
    Why?
    Fitzpatrick's Grand Central Hotel New York - in particular the Wheel Tappers Bar
    Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,319 ✭✭✭dowlingm

I object that Victor didn't have to put any asterisks in any of those there names like Ch***en D****rs. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

i don't really object to any of those words...my Mother taught me that its sticks and stones that braeak my bones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

May I suggest 'ferroequinologist' in place of 'train spotter'?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,479 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

In response to Victors updated post I'd also like to know the meaning of basher. Afaik it's UK louts who go on the piss on railtours??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Partizan

Karsini wrote: »
    I think I'm right with this one... It's usually considered a bash at the IRRS, who would often run final railtours over soon to be closed lines. Chicken was usually on the menu of such tours. Spawned other terms such as the "grim reaper train."

Not to mention the wearing of Roman sandals with white socks. Such an offence constitutes a thrashin in my book.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

Found a listing of 'UK' terms here, personally I find most of them cringe-worthy... apart from 'gricer' I'd never use them myself but it's a useful 'translation guide'.

http://www.trainnet.org/libraries/lib001/bashersp.txt

Some of them are just weird...

Given that terms like 'basher' and 'gricer' are used within the rail enthusiast community I can't see them as being offensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭V_Moth

Niles wrote: »
    Found a listing of 'UK' terms here, personally I find most of them cringe-worthy... apart from 'gricer' I'd never use them myself but it's a useful 'translation guide'.

http://www.trainnet.org/libraries/lib001/bashersp.txt

Some of them are just weird...

Given that terms like 'basher' and 'gricer' are used within the rail enthusiast community I can't see them as being offensive.

Albert Gastank is hilarious - should have taken that instead of V_Moth :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭dmcronin

What's deal with 'Ginger Beer' apart from being a Famous Five reference??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭V_Moth

dmcronin wrote: »

Ahem..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Ginger Beer ,for me, is associated with those far off days, when summers were always better, and when railways were all about boy porters who knew their place and Jenny Agutter and the railway children reigned supreme. Not to mention George, Anne, Dick, Julian and Timmy the dog. :D

The-Railway-Children-track.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Confab wrote: »
    May I suggest 'ferroequinologist' in place of 'train spotter'?

Might be more appropriate for loco-sexual?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭dmcronin

Ginger Beer ,for me, is associated with those far off days, when summers were always better, and when railways were all about boy porters who knew their place and Jenny Agutter and the railway children reigned supreme. Not to mention George, Anne, Dick, Julian and Timmy the dog. :D

The-Railway-Children-track.jpg

Trespass on railway property and waving knickers at trains. Down with this sort of thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

V_Moth wrote: »
    Albert Gastank is hilarious - should have taken that instead of V_Moth :pac:

Another one in that list is 'Baglet', which sounds like some kind of baked snack.

And as for Ada/Ethel, I can't help but feel I'm reading a 19th century novel...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭steamengine

Niles wrote: »
    Another one in that list is 'Baglet', which sounds like some kind of baked snack.

And as for Ada/Ethel, I can't help but feel I'm reading a 19th century novel...

'Festoon' isn't on the list. This is used to describe the older gricer, who has all sorts of gear hanging off his person. Camera, tape recorder,stop watch haversack and God knows what else. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Hungerford

Victor wrote: »
    * Chicken Dinner (including reference to any other type of meat)

Chicken Dinner may have a specific association on this board but I think we should be able to refer to other kinds of meat - otherwise it would be pretty much impossible to discuss catering...

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Hungerford

It's the favoured beverage of Tarquins.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,383 ✭✭✭cml387

UTA

• Registered Users Posts: 17,028 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

I must have wandered into some sort of parallel world in here as I have no idea what most of these actually mean and I am in my 19th year working in the rail industry (albeit in Britain)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭LaFlammeRouge

This thread is a joke.

Advertisement