Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pointless Nature of the Ronan Collins "Hour".

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 JonasADF

Ah, Ronan's alright. His listeners are on that level.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭bureau2009

JonasADF wrote: »
    Ah, Ronan's alright. His listeners are on that level.
    Which is why I am NOT a listener, along with thousands of others who are turned off by him.

RTE Management, are you reading this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

He's taking the piss in a big way of late. Invariably he'll cue a song at 12:56 or so, in the certain knowledge that there isn't time for one verse, not to mind a tasteful fade out. Without fail. Every bloody day.

And in the next breath he'll tell us all how sorry he is for not getting around to all the dedications, but there just wasn't enough time.

Lazy radio is no exaggeration!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

Its the only place you can hear this anymore:) AND I LIKE IT!

• Registered Users Posts: 71,669 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Something happened on Ronan's show last week that has been puzzling me.

He played 'Melting Pot' by Blue Mink, a song that has lyrics containing slang terms for different races which would be racist and unacceptable in 2012 (the song was recorded in 1969).

Shouldn't there be laws about playing records like this?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

**** that! Lets not call the Thought Police about some badly rhyming lyrics in a "positive vibe" song eh?

mike65 wrote: »
    **** that! Lets not call the Thought Police about some badly rhyming lyrics in a "positive vibe" song eh?

I like the song, I'm just curious as to whether songs like this can be played on daytime radio nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

He played 'Melting Pot' by Blue Mink, a song that has lyrics containing slang terms for different races which would be racist and unacceptable in 2012 (the song was recorded in 1969).

No

The Muppet wrote: »
    No

Bad choice of words, I didn't mean laws.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭squonk

Ah chill out! The song isn't inciting hatred, rather more of a 'let's all be one big happy family' vibe. Even Boyzone covered this back in 1996, you'd hardly call them purveyors of hate filled lyrics so chill out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

He played 'Melting Pot' by Blue Mink, a song that has lyrics containing slang terms for different races which would be racist and unacceptable in 2012

I'm with Michael on this one, it's all good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

Ronan, a few things:

1) Nice one on playing Bohemian Rhapsody, always a pleasure to hear it.
    2) Please never again add your voice in over the closing phrases of said song. It just sounded creepy.
    3) Don't be using such trendy words like "epic" in reference to said song. The vast majority of your listenership will be scratching their heads wondering what you could possibly have meant.

Regards,

Yakuza

Bumping this because I'm off on leave again, and have been suffering through Ronan's efforts for the last week or two.

He still has the annoying habit of playing thirty seconds of a track at the close of his show-pointless.

He took the biscuit today though, playing a Michael Bublé track (almost to the end), Ronan did a fat finger on it, stopping the Canadian crooner in full voice, and restarting the track.

And what did he do? Mumble an excuse, and left the whole bloody thing play through for a second time.

Ray Foley might have coined the phrase "lazy radio", but Ronan epitomises it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Bumping this because I'm off on leave again, and have been suffering through Ronan's efforts for the last week or two.

He still has the annoying habit of playing thirty seconds of a track at the close of his show-pointless.

He took the biscuit today though, playing a Michael Bublé track (almost to the end), Ronan did a fat finger on it, stopping the Canadian crooner in full voice, and restarting the track.

And what did he do? Mumble an excuse, and left the whole bloody thing play through for a second time.

Ray Foley might have coined the phrase "lazy radio", but Ronan epitomises it.

And again, no fan of "I want to know what love is" by Foreigner but two minutes is taking the piss, he was just into the meat of the song and "byeeeeeeee"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

Heard that, I've always liked the first verse but never cared to hear the chorus after it!

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭europa11

For someone who complains so much about not having enough time to play music, Ronan then devotes six or seven minutes to Amateur Theatre reviews and will do so every day next week :eek: :rolleyes:.

Surely something like that belongs on Mooney, or the even more unlistenable John Murray Show.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭virino

Well, I just love Ronan Collins, and I always have, and who can explain love! I wouldn't care what he says, he always sounds happy and I feel the same way listening to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

virino wrote: »
    Well, I just love Ronan Collins, and I always have, and who can explain love! I wouldn't care what he says, he always sounds happy and I feel the same way listening to him.

I think he usually comes across as being in bad form and that the hour is an imposition on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,971 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

europa11 wrote: »
    For someone who complains so much about not having enough time to play music, Ronan then devotes six or seven minutes to Amateur Theatre reviews and will do so every day next week :eek: :rolleyes:.

Surely something like that belongs on Mooney, or the even more unlistenable John Murray Show.

That's sounds like the annual Am-Dram thing RTE 1 does with Kevin Hough. It's always been dumped into Ronan's show over the years and . Maybe it was justifiable to place it there when his was the only light entertainment show daytime; these days there are other apt outlets for it such as Lyric FM or the Arts shows in the evenings.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭redtelephone

virino wrote: »

Ronan, is that you?

• Advertisement

Cathal Murray doing a great job sitting in for Ronan...slick, no inane waffle and he gets the last song played in full!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

He is always a breath of fresh air in that slot when he fills in for RC.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭virino

Indeed Cahal is great, but he just isn't Ronan. Ronan is a bundle of qualities, of which empathy is one of the foremost. I would imagine he is a very kind person to have as a friend. And after all, he has been doing the show for a long time, and it can't be easy to sound fresh and sprightly all the time, but to my mind, he manages it day after day. He's no fly-by-night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Just heard an ad for Ronan Collins' show on the radio while driving home. I'm not sure why they are promoting it.. There is no demand for "early lunchtime music" any more.. I turn over to Jonathan Healy on NT, and I presume a lot of other people do too.. Cathal Murray has a really nice manner and a nice voice, they should give him a shot at the show or get rid of it altogether.

I was actually thinking about this today.

Cathal is great in that slot, and always enjoyable. Very much so actually, given the constraints imposed on him (and Ronan) by all the ancillary stuff they shove in there.

I've always said that Ronan seems a nice guy, but as the late of this parish FlutterinBantam used to describe his presentation, it's simply "radio by numbers."

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭bellg124

I won't hear a bad word said against Ronan. No other DJ in the country can say 'Next upppp! The Dooooobie Brothers'. It's the best show on Radio. Proper, old school Disc Jockeying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Anto Bean

Collins should be moved to the evenings or to lyric

Dagnabbit...Ronan's back!

Although I heard an ad earlier for Cathal's early weekend breakfast show - definitely worth a listen.

Cheers for that-I didn't know he had one, I'll be listening too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭theholyghost

About ten years ago Ronan Collins introduced me to Del Shannon for that alone the show's existance is justified!

Advertisement