Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Why Saloon cars? – I don’t get it

Options
  • 07-02-2012 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭

I was driving a saloon car for the last two weeks and I really missed my normal estate car!
    I don’t understand this countries obsession or desire to buy saloon cars.
    Saloon cars are completely impractical and in Ireland they are over 30% of the market
    Hatchbacks make sense at over 40% with Estates however fewer than 10%.

In a saloon access to the boot is restricted
    The designs of estates now look cool
    You have no rear wiper in a saloon
    In an estate you can fit bikes, kids stuff, golf bats etc.

In Europe estates are common – maybe were not really Europeans after all and to prove this we buy saloons.

Why the fe*k buy a saloon?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

I read something about this not so long ago, it was the MD of one of the big makers being interviewed. He basically said that developing markets prefer saloon type cars as they look more substantial and to many have a better image than the equivalent hatch. It was certainly the case here up until recently where the saloon was the default choice. We were the only RHD market getting Corolla saloons for example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

Because I like them and don't have kids which influence what I buy.

In fairness the same argument could be made about estate cars vs 2 sweater convertibles

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

V Eight wrote: »
    Saloon cars are completely impractical and in Ireland they are over 30% of the market
    How are they impractical? You can carry nearly anything you need for day to day stuff and quite a few can fold down seats for carrying larger items.

Its not that restricted, depends what you need to carry. I also think most estates look crap.

You don't need a rear wiper on a saloon, that's why you don't get one, I can also fit golf clubs and stuff in my saloon no problem.

TBH, you obviously sound like you need an estate for carrying stuff around all the time. But the majority of people do not need to carry large loads regularly, and this, along with a lot of estates looking horrendus, is why estates are not popular here.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Through all car which I had so far (there was more that 10) all were hatchbacks.
    Only my last one is saloon. It looks good, is OK for everyday use, but even though it's a quite big saloon (mazda 6) when I wanted to transport a washing machine, I had to borrow my dad's opel corsa hatchback as it didn't fit my mazda, but easily fitted his corsa.

PS - I think personally that most estates looks ugly.

For example this one:
    37156_renault_laguna_2551.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Right back at you....

if you don't habitually carry piles of stuff around with you, why would you need a hatchback

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

I was driving a saloon car for the last two weeks and I really missed my normal estate car!

In Europe estates are common – maybe were not really Europeans after all and to prove this we buy saloons.

Surprised I got as far as the second statement.

When one reads such statements it makes responding a waste of life. Give me these minutes back please.

BTW, have you seen a Saloon Octavia? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,678 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

E39MSport wrote: »
    BTW, have you seen a Saloon Octavia? ;)

They make an Octavia Saloon now??????? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Impractical? I used to fit a kayak INTO a Saloon Passat.... I've a hatchback now but had no issues fitting my abundance of gear into my Passat. As for the washing machine / large tv test.... I've got roof racks. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

• The are usually stiffer than saloon/estate countrpart (better for handling, rigidity)
    • You can store stuff in a sepwerate compartment withot smell wafting into the cabin (I usually put take-aways in the boot).
    • Less space for cabin noise to reverberate around
    • You don't look like you have 12 childers to cart around :pac:
    • Actually, I have nothing against most estates or hatches and don't care much either way! Think the OP is a bit OTT in diss them tho.
    What I hate are small saloons - Astra, Focus, Jetta, Mazda3 and most of all the Flatulence. They are Paddy-specials for culchies who can't stretch to a Passat. The 'developing country' thing really rings through...

Actually, what I also hate are stupid/cost-cutting manufacturers who don't put a 60/40 split in their Paddy-spec saloons:mad:!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

CiniO wrote: »
    PS - I think personally that most estates looks ugly.

For example this one:

Why post a picture of a fairly old model ? Here's the latest one
    Renault-Laguna-Estate-2.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

That's the thing about choice isn't it... I'd NEVER buy an estate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Simple really. Lots of people don't have young kids. Lots of people don't have golf clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

I'm male, no kids and hate VAG cars and this in MY OPINION is the best looking estate on the road right now.

skoda-superb-combi-estate-2010-46.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Estate cars have never been big sellers in Ireland, small saloons have always done well in Ireland. Just one of those weird things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

I assumed Estate cars where more expensive than saloon cars as they were bigger :o

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Back from where I came everyone prefers estates over saloons. You newer know what will you need to transport so it always better to be prepared.
    In ireland estates are really rare cars! In Irish defence I will say: most older estates look like crap! Only lately estates look really great and even better then saloons, new Superb for example.

I am not sure, but I hear that estate versions have worse sound isolation too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Well estates take longer to warm up inside and they are noisier as the back end traditionally lacked a high level of trim/insulation (modern ones may well be better), they also might suggest you are a farmer.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

ThisRegard wrote: »

Because I wanted to show something really ugly :P

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Maybe I should get me one of these to cover all bases? Can handle any terrain and also cope with the wifes trips to Ikea!:D
    b14.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Saloons look better. Thats really it I'm guessing.

I assume they are also cheaper. Probably more aerodynamic and lighter too.

Of course if you want practicality, many car based MPV's are much more practical than estates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

All joking aside it's down to a combination of personal taste and what you need from a car.

I drove nothing but coupes for years just because I liked them. Feel I've grown out of them a little and have been driving saloon barges the last couple of years. Recently married, have no kids yet, rarely haul a lot around so a coupe or a two-seater would do the job just as well but I couldn't see myself in something like that as a daily.

The only estates I like are BMW's and Audi's. In fact I think Audi A4/6 Avants look better than the saloon models.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭sean1141

maybe in your opinion. in mine they all look crap. the only estate ill ever be seen dead in is a hearse:D
    some saloons do have them do they are few and far between, didnt some nissan primearas have them
    most people dont need to fit all this kinda stuff in their cars do
    ThisRegard wrote: »
    Renault-Laguna-Estate-2.jpg

god thats even more hidious than the older one

• Registered Users Posts: 12,678 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

There has been a substantial shift away from Saloons to Hatches (well, at least with company cars) in the last few years. It always used to be Saloon's for everything with the odd hatch thrown in, and very occasionally an estate for the service engineers who had to carry the big stuff.

Of the Insignia's I've ordered this year:
    11% are 4 door Saloons
    61% are 5 door Hatchs
    28% are Estates

Of the Mondeo's I've ordered this year:
    11% are 4 door Saloons
    44.5% are 5 door Hatchs
    44.5% are Estates

Hopefully, we'll continue to see the growth of Estate's - more choice for Mrs. R.O.R when they come back :-)

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    The only estates I like are BMW's and Audi's. In fact I think Audi A4/6 Avants look better than the saloon models.

A neighbour couldn't get a piece of furniture into their A4 avant. It fit no problem in the wifes K11 Micra.

That said I think the Avants look greate. RS2 anyone? Friend has the E60 520d estate, lovely car.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

in Europe the %age of estates is much higher than here in Ireland and in UK the hatches outsell the saloon variants considerably where available ( Mondeo for example ) compared to here - its all just a matter of taste.

I've recently spent a few days in Southern German and was wondering if they even know the saloon A6 exists ( have to admit I wouldn't have one ).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭no1beemerfan

I have two older cars that are saloons/coupe (an E28 and E30) and I drive a hatchback (Laguna) as my daily and I can say the hatch is 100 times more practical and I doubt I'd have a saloon as a daily. (Unless it was a BMW E65 7 series!)

I have no need for an estate, "Golf bats" fit fin a saloon btw so too kids stuff, most folk don't carry bikes around, those who do often use bike racks.

With a saloon one doesn't need a rear windscreen wiper ;)

Why the f*ck buy an estate?

I had an estate in the last two years too btw.

I put the kids bike inside. But I've a MPV and no bike rack ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Space problems, hauling stuff about? Get a van ;)

Use the saloon for fun stuff :D

I had only one estate which wasn't an estate as such (Imprezza SW) it looked better than the saloon imo. Thats just me though.

Generally I prefer saloons though, prefably big saloons :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Gophur

pburns wrote: »
    ........ They are Paddy-specials for culchies who can't stretch to a Passat.

Couldn't you come up with any better put-downs than that?

pburns wrote: »
    Actually, what I also hate are stupid/cost-cutting manufacturers who don't put a 60/40 split in their Paddy-spec saloons:mad:!

I think you "hate" too many things. You need to chill, a bit.

Advertisement