Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mayo Chronograph

Options
  • 06-02-2012 4:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi guys.

Jus want to ask if there is anyone in Mayo (most likely Westport/Castlebar Area) who have a chronograph. Id like to check my gun to meet the law requirements.

Any help would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭J.D.R

Just in case anyone doesn't have one in your area, and you can't get to a shop, here's a really simple measurement. About as far from precise as you can get, but it'll give you an indication.

http://www.acmeairsoft.com/showthread.php?t=677

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

Can test is complete nonsense. Coke cans are different thicknesses and grades of aluminium and plastic coating depending on where you are in the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

i have one an i work in castlebar
    pm me if you like

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

gerrowadat wrote: »
    Can test is complete nonsense. Coke cans are different thicknesses and grades of aluminium and plastic coating depending on where you are in the world.

Source?

I cant see any reason as to why coke would differ their packaging per area seeing as so much of their product volume, distribution and supply chains are based on the constant uniform if their packaging process and end result.

While I wouldnt condone this as anything official or reliable means of measuring FPS I wouldnt blatantly call it "nonsense" simply because I may not be fond of the idea.

Edit: seems the ML measure may differ per region but nothing to say the build material or thickness differs , seeing as the test is simply for rough measurement purposes the can dimensions would have little to no bearing on a figure thats already only a "rough idea".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭Inari

hightower1 wrote: »
    Edit: seems the ML measure may differ per region but nothing to say the build material or thickness differs , seeing as the test is simply for rough measurement purposes the can dimensions would have little to no bearing on a figure thats already only a "rough idea".

When 'rough ideas' get rougher, then you are really into plain guess work. Really the only way to test an airsoft gun is using a chronograph. Shooting cans is not reliable, nor consistent.

If you're going to be tinkering with guns, a chrono will set you back roughly €100, which doesn't really break the bank...especially if you're tinkering with airsoft guns, as you'll already tend to spend more than you should :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

Inari wrote: »
    When 'rough ideas' get rougher, then you are really into plain guess work. Really the only way to test an airsoft gun is using a chronograph. Shooting cans is not reliable, nor consistent.

If you're going to be tinkering with guns, a chrono will set you back roughly €100, which doesn't really break the bank...especially if you're tinkering with airsoft guns, as you'll already tend to spend more than you should :D

Totally agree, you can order a chorno cheaper than chips these days, the theory is solid is all Im saying. When in a pinch and all that, but if your staying in airsoft you cant really NOT own a chrono when they are as cheap as they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

hightower1 wrote: »
    Source?

I cant see any reason as to why coke would differ their packaging per area seeing as so much of their product volume, distribution and supply chains are based on the constant uniform if their packaging process and end result.

While I wouldnt condone this as anything official or reliable means of measuring FPS I wouldnt blatantly call it "nonsense" simply because I may not be fond of the idea.

External dimensions would be the same, but basic logistics would mean it's not going to be uniform, it'll be based on market availability, quality of local materials, etc. Even a few micrometers in either direction is going to means tens of FPS -- if you're using it to gauge the legality of your gun, it's probably not something I'd stake my criminal record on :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Mando Commando

Hit Tigerland in Sligo any given Saturday and they'll chrono ya right up!

Advertisement