Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

B. Science Mathematics NUIG - Actuary

Options
  • 05-02-2012 12:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hey, I'm filling my CAO this year, repeating my leaving certificate!

I'm interested in becoming an actuary for the past two years but i'm not too sure of yet. I was looking at courses in UCD and DCU but wouldn't really be a dublin person. I was in NUI Galway last year for a year and did Commerce (Accounting). Wasn't for me at all but would LOVE to return in September.

Can anyone give me any information on B. Sc Mathematics in NUIG? What career options does it carry? And if i did decide to become an actuary (very likely at this stage), does anyone know if this course carries exemptions for the actuarial exams and if so, how many?? Also, do the big 4, or insurance companies take people with straight maths degrees as trainee actuary or would I have to do a post grad course like the one in DCU to become a trainee actuary?

I love maths and it's always been my favourite subject and of now i'm 100% sure I want to pursue a career in this field.

Could anyone tell me any other careers with this maths degree too because I'm not sure what other careers can come out of it?

Some please reply .
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭TheBody

ele1992 wrote: »

I'm interested in becoming an actuary for the past two years but i'm not too sure of yet. I was looking at courses in UCD and DCU but wouldn't really be a dublin person. I was in NUI Galway last year for a year and did Commerce (Accounting). Wasn't for me at all but would LOVE to return in September.

Can anyone give me any information on B. Sc Mathematics in NUIG? What career options does it carry? And if i did decide to become an actuary (very likely at this stage), does anyone know if this course carries exemptions for the actuarial exams and if so, how many?? Also, do the big 4, or insurance companies take people with straight maths degrees as trainee actuary or would I have to do a post grad course like the one in DCU to become a trainee actuary?

I love maths and it's always been my favourite subject and of now i'm 100% sure I want to pursue a career in this field.

Could anyone tell me any other careers with this maths degree too because I'm not sure what other careers can come out of it?

Some please reply .
    Thanks!

Perhaps you could start off by reading some of the stuff in here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056498514

• Registered Users Posts: 34 ele1992

TheBody, Thanks :) very helpful!

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Young_gunner

ele1992 wrote: »

Some please reply .
    Thanks!

If you want to eventually be an actuary i think you're far better off doing an actuarial degree (you can still easily do non-actuarial work after one of these degrees)....

if you're not a dublin person, you probably should know that nearly all the actuarial jobs in Ireland are in Dublin !

Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

OP, if you're not "a Dublin person", then you probably shouldn't be considering actuary at all unless you intend on moving to a city abroad somewhere and getting a job there. There's only a small % of actuarial jobs in Cork and Galway. Practically ALL actuarial jobs are in Dublin. If you know you want to do actuary, then do an actuarial science course - you'll be able to study for exemptions, etc. Doing a maths degree when you know you want to be an actuary is just making life more difficult for you considering you'll have more exams to do outside of college.

Advertisement