Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin v kerry tonight

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Im f-ucking delighted!

Thats for last minute heartreakers!
    Thats for Joe McQuillans refereeing!
    Thats for the **** i've had to put up with from Dubs, since September!
    Thats for the 5 months i've had to repress my love for football in case of bursting into tears!
    Thats for crys of "sore loser" or "bitter kerryman"
    Thats for stupid fireworks and the boys are back in town.
    Thats for the idea that Kerry are an old team, and don't have anything left in the tank.
    Thats for "Championes" being chanted from the Hill

Ironically enough the Gaa championed the Give Respect Get Respect campaign tonight.
    Respect your position as champions, don't rub it in others faces, and you will have respect as champions.

I've bottled a lot of emotion up since September, and I hope this doesn't offend anyone.
    Im just on cloud 9. That was 3 in a row we had lost to the Dubs, and 4 would have been a killer to our confidence.

People will say its only the league, but try telling that to any Kerryman tonight. It was one to savour.

Oíche Mhaith a Cháirde.
    Ha

Ha

Ha

Ha

Ha

Ha

Ha

You do realise it was the GAA that organised all the razzmatazz this evening, I cringed when I read what they had planned during the week and it was probably an extra incentive for the Kerry men.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Its grand call me bitter all ye want, im far from it.

I have no qualms with Dublin being AI Champs.

Its the crap that I personally have had to put up with from aquaintances, and others from Dublin over the last 5 months.

The DVD's, The Books, the constant replaying of the match on TV, the Photo ops etc.

Did we have that when Cork won in 10?
    Or Kerry in 09?
    Or Tyrone in 08?

Did Cork put on Fireworks in Páirc Uí Chaoimh, a full 5 months after the final, and have lights and music for them to come onto the field?

Im not painting all the Dubs with the one brush, because there is obviously a lot more Dublin fans out there then any other team, but its just a personal thing.

Im delighted tonight that Kerry won. It was no flashy performance but they put right the mistakes made 5 months ago. Again we were 4 points up with 10 minutes to go, but this time, we closed it out.

Young lads stood up.
    BJ Keane, James O'D, Enright, Maguire, Crowley, Curtain.
    Stars of the future both in the forwards and backs.
    Sheahan starting to look like a real midfielder.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

Im delighted tonight that Kerry won. It was no flashy performance but they put right the mistakes made 5 months ago. Again we were 4 points up with 10 minutes to go, but this time, we closed it out.

Young lads stood up.
    BJ Keane, James O'D, Enright, Maguire, Crowley, Curtain.
    Stars of the future both in the forwards and backs.
    Sheahan starting to look like a real midfielder.
    This is the only parts of the post worth dealing with.

Better side on the night by far and it could have been a cricket score but it's just the wakeup call the Dubs need.

Good to see that the Gooch has taught young Keane how to hit the deck with the minimal of contact and everyone's favourite Martin King lookalike was as gullible to it as always.

dcr22B wrote: »

Better side on the night by far and it could have been a cricket score but it's just the wakeup call the Dubs need.

Good to see that the Gooch has taught young Keane how to hit the deck with the minimal of contact and everyone's favourite Martin King lookalike was as gullible to it as always.
    And im meant to be the bitter one?

Barry John put in a MOM performance tonight.

He was pulled and dragged all night, and I have no idea what you are talking about hitting the deck about.

He won 3 absolute stonewall frees tonight, one where he was physically lifted off his feet and tossed on the ground.

As for the "martin king" look alike, he was v. friendly towards ye for the first 45 minutes so I wouldn't complain. Kept ye in the game towards the end of the 1st half.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,626 ✭✭✭eire4

Dreadful second half from Dublin. We just never got going and couldn't win anything in midfield particuarly from Clusxton's restarts. That gave Kerry the platform to win the game and they took full advantage of it. Not the start we wanted to say the least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,753 ✭✭✭corny

And im meant to be the bitter one?

Barry John put in a MOM performance tonight.

He was pulled and dragged all night, and I have no idea what you are talking about hitting the deck about.

He won 3 absolute stonewall frees tonight, one where he was physically lifted off his feet and tossed on the ground.

As for the "martin king" look alike, he was v. friendly towards ye for the first 45 minutes so I wouldn't complain. Kept ye in the game towards the end of the 1st half.

Kerry are the most 'professional' side in the GAA. Their forwards buy several frees a game and as soon as they take the lead the cynical fouling starts. Not to mention the general muppetry of throwing the ball away, feigning injury or doing your best to incite the opposition. Donaghy, Tomas O' Shea, Gooch, Galvin ..... its a fine art with them.

They do everything they can to gain an edge. Some see it as a vital strength but personally i can't stand it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭themandan6611

corny wrote: »
    Kerry are the most 'professional' side in the GAA. Their forwards buy several frees a game and as soon as they take the lead the cynical fouling starts. Not to mention the general muppetry of throwing the ball away, feigning injury or doing your best to incite the opposition. Donaghy, Tomas O' Shea, Gooch, Galvin ..... its a fine art with them.

They do everything they can to gain an edge. Some see it as a vital strength but personally i can't stand it.

they still were the better team, lol, KMc still won the best pro free ever to win the AI :cool:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 106 ✭✭Mike O' Brien

Kerry by far the better team, Dubs have a lot to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Kumejima

Wasn't a patch on last year's wonderful league encounter. Kerry were decent in defence, won most of the breaking ball in midfield but up front we ran out of ideas.
    I'm no tactical genius but how many times did we see 6 Kerry men in the vicinity of the 45 yard line handpassing around the opposition and getting no where while 30 yards of space yawned open to anyone who wanted it. One time we did exploit it Darren did the necessary.
    This happened a lot last year as well, Donaghy as the lone striker up front, while we played Barcelona style posession football. We re at our best when we look for and kick into space, quickly, letting the ball do all the running.

Shocking and all as our finishing was at times, Dublin seemed to totally run out of puff in the second half. I wouldn't worry about it too much yet given the inevitable hangover after September. Ye'll have to throw some cold water on yere faces by summer time though or ye'll be handing Sam on..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,587 ✭✭✭tossy

I've bottled a lot of emotion up since September, .

You have bottled emotion up for all these months over football,remote football at that,over a championship you didn't play in,over a game you weren't involved in and watched from the stands or a on a TV ?

That's half the problem with the GAA in this country,partly the reason maybe that wild men see fit to invade a pitch and attack players and referees at will.Maybe if there was a little less bottling of emotions and a bit more of people being grounded in the reality that it is just a game we might be a bit better off.

In certain sections of Irish society the GAA is seen as release valve for the tensions of life,something akin to alcohol and is treated in a very Irish way.You live your life,you hate your job,you repress everything and you release at that weekend on the pitch or on the sidelines. Then monday morning akin to talking about a weekend on the beer you reminisce over the weekend saying what craic it was but skipping over the ugly side of it.No one ever says on a monday morning "wow what a weekend we went out and got hammered and had such a laugh and then i went home and cried myself to sleep" like Kenny powers :D

OP i'm not saying you are a wild man,prone to attacking anyone or that you cry yourself to sleep by the way. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Kerry are the most 'professional' side in the GAA. Their forwards buy several frees a game and as soon as they take the lead the cynical fouling starts. Not to mention the general muppetry of throwing the ball away, feigning injury or doing your best to incite the opposition.

you know youve just described the dublin team there and not kerry. dublin are the most cynical team about, their late tackling and off the ball antics are the worst in the country.

on the match, better team won, no big deal, its only the league.

Connolly is an absolute waster of a gaa player, to say that man has an all ireland medal is a travesty to the 1000s of decent players who have none.

i know its early in the year, but i am predicting dublin will not win the All ireland this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Kerry are the most 'professional' side in the GAA. Their forwards buy several frees a game and as soon as they take the lead the cynical fouling starts. Not to mention the general muppetry of throwing the ball away, feigning injury or doing your best to incite the opposition.

you know youve just described the dublin team there and not kerry. dublin are the most cynical team about, their late tackling and off the ball antics are the worst in the country.

Connolly is an absolute waster of a gaa player, to say that man has an all ireland medal is a travesty to the 1000s of decent players who have none.

i know its early in the year, but i am predicting dublin will not win the All ireland this year.

Connolly can be either excellent or awful, very much a confidence player, you can usually tell what way it's going after his first couple of shots. I'd definitely be using a sports phychologist if I were him to help consistently maximise his ability.

It's also a little silly to completely dismiss Dublins AI chances based on one game without arguably their two most effective forwards.

tossy wrote: »
    You have bottled emotion up for all these months over football,remote football at that,over a championship you didn't play in,over a game you weren't involved in and watched from the stands or a on a TV ?

That's half the problem with the GAA in this country,partly the reason maybe that wild men see fit to invade a pitch and attack players and referees at will.Maybe if there was a little less bottling of emotions and a bit more of people being grounded in the reality that it is just a game we might be a bit better off.

In certain sections of Irish society the GAA is seen as release valve for the tensions of life,something akin to alcohol and is treated in a very Irish way.You live your life,you hate your job,you repress everything and you release at that weekend on the pitch or on the sidelines. Then monday morning akin to talking about a weekend on the beer you reminisce over the weekend saying what craic it was but skipping over the ugly side of it.No one ever says on a monday morning "wow what a weekend we went out and got hammered and had such a laugh and then i went home and cried myself to sleep" like Kenny powers :D

OP i'm not saying you are a wild man,prone to attacking anyone or that you cry yourself to sleep by the way. :D
    I can see where you are coming from.

You might see it as a problem, but Football is my passion.

I don't take it to the extremes that you have described there, but the AIF must have been on 8 times on TG4 or RTE over christmas, and I honestly couldn't watch it. I'd watch 5 minutes, and find myself shouting at the screen over a soft free, or a stupid wide, and think its not worth it.

Yes I go way over the top with some posts, and a few have got me in trouble, or else torrents abuse :P , but I wouldn't want it any other way. If I have an opinion on Football (which I have many) I'll throw it out there. And If you don't agree with me then god help you, because I'll argue with you for the night.

Thats just what its like to grow up in Kerry.

Its grand to let your emotions out once in a while, once they are expressed in the right way.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭lala88

dcr22B wrote: »

Good man yourself. Dublin players never do that do thay?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭lala88

Dublin dont look much good without the Brogans or there good friend Joe.

Eamon Fennel's tackle on Sheehan deserved a red. He did the same against Wexford in 2010 and got away with it. It was disappointing to see as the game was fairly sporting, apart from MD Mc Auley's persistent fouling. How he is never pulled up for it I'll never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

lala88 wrote: »
    Dublin dont look much good without the Brogans or there good friend Joe.

Eamon Fennel's tackle on Sheehan deserved a red. He did the same against Wexford in 2010 and got away with it. It was disappointing to see as the game was fairly sporting, apart from MD Mc Auley's persistent fouling. How he is never pulled up for it I'll never know.

Well, like Tommy Walsh in the hurling or McCaw or Quinnie in the rugby, he'll keep doing it until he's called on it ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭thegen

Was worse to see Kerrys cynical fouling up the field to break up play and Kieran Donaghy trying to ref the game again. All that said it was a terrible game of football, some shocking unforced errors by both teams and some terrible wides. Kildare v Tyrone was a far better game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭blackbelt

Awful game. That has to be down as the 2nd worst Dublin - Kerry match for me in recent memory.The match itself lacked any spectacular edge to it and it showed with the lack of enthusiasm from the crowd.A poor advertisement and I'm trying to get my Hungarian friend to pick up the game, I was actually embarassed.

I don't mind so much, with the league setup as it is, it only requires us to beat all the teams we would be expected to beat and get a draw or something to reach the semi finals of the league and from there we go.

I can only surmise that either Dublin are still hungover from September as Cork were this time last year when we met them or that the sudden 40 training sessions in one month are still taking their toll on some of this team.

We have yet to have some players come back and Mickey Whelan is a big loss I feel as head trainer of the Dubs.

Can't argue with too many aspects of the game from general play which I will use that term lightly.Dublin clearly gave Kerry all the space in the World to launch attacks from any sector of the field while going forward, we seemed to be lethargic and uncreative. Neither team looked like All Ireland Finalists and this is a real disappointment.I think the Corks and Tyrones will be back with a bang unless Kerry and Dublin up it which I expect they will but yesterday the game was pure muck.

On Donaghy, this guy is a good player but he is the biggest whinger I have ever seen on a GAA pitch.I lose respect for him as a player and I can't understand why he is not sanctioned for his constant hounding of referees in nearly every game not that I feel sorry for Deegan.I have been saying this for years but Maurice Deegan is not fit for intercounty refereeing.I very much think he is not of senior club standard either.His interpretations of fouls and tackling is mind boggling and inconsistent that it is laughable,I actually start bursting out laughing at some of the decisions he made yesterday because the game turned to a shambles.

Please tell me he is turning 50 before May so that we don't have to put up with sub-standard refereeing from this clown.

In closing, well done to Kerry on the victory.The soft frees actually glossed over the scoreline even if Kerry should have won by more with the wides tally but there was no doubt that this did not cost Dublin as the goal was well taken and Kery won midfield and their half back line mopped up well.Think some of the new Kerry players did their county proud with some nice points.

Dublin are going to have to get back to grips with the hard nosed defensive system.Paul Brogan is an asset to this team but not at wing forward.O Gara is a liability but we all know that. Lots of work for Dublin to do but its too early to start panicing.

they still were the better team, lol, KMc still won the best pro free ever to win the AI :cool:

They were easily the better team and if Kerry set about taking Dublin apart with the same gusto they had for killing the game they'd have won by a lot more. The going sideways around the middle of the park to keep possession is another symptom of the kill the game mentality BTW.

And KMc didn't trip over an imaginary leg!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,545 ✭✭✭billyhead

Absolutely shocking game. Loads of bad wides and jersey tugging (fouls been committed left right and center). The game had no rhythm to it. Dublin should have took their chances in the 1st half and they were costly in the end. They should have at least stuck away that early goal chance. The 2 Brogans were badly mised up front and the full back line played badly. Gave acres of space to the Kerry forwards. Overall we have a lot of work to do but at least we got this ****e display out of the system and can work on improving things for Mayo next weekend. Sure the real action doesn't start till May:D

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Saw the 'highlights' there. Fennell will be very dissapointed to see a red for that, never gets his elbow up, never comes near Sheehans head, just a shoulder to shoulder. Can see it clearly from the camera behind the hill. The way Sheehan hopped up and played on with no issues after milking it for a while shows the true extent of the 'injury' imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭paddy978

copacetic wrote: »
    Saw the 'highlights' there. Fennell will be very dissapointed to see a red for that, never gets his elbow up, never comes near Sheehans head, just a shoulder to shoulder. Can see it clearly from the camera behind the hill. The way Sheehan hopped up and played on with no issues after milking it for a while shows the true extent of the 'injury' imo.

Great to get your unbiased view. Fennell didn't protest like someone as inocent as you suggest would.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Seriously??? He elbowed him in the chin. How the hell was that shoulder to shoulder?

paddy978 wrote: »
    Great to get your unbiased view. Fennell didn't protest like someone as inocent as you suggest would.

Neither did Paul Kerrigan. That proves nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭TheTwiz

I have to say I love the razzmatazz the Dubs brought to the occasion. Flashing blue lights, fireworks & The Boys Are Back in Town over the speakers. Where else would get that in the GAA

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

TheTwiz wrote: »
    I have to say I love the razzmatazz the Dubs brought to the occasion. Flashing blue lights, fireworks & The Boys Are Back in Town over the speakers. Where else would get that in the GAA

Its because the GAA paid for it and wouldn't and haven't done it for any other team. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

lol...

everybody ive seen commentating on the incident have condemned fennell for it, it was a cowardly, malicious act of thuggery.

as the tayto add says, there is always one. he will get banned for it and as ciaran whelan said, a deserved ban.

dont give up the day job anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭hisholinessnb

Jesus the bitterness on here is unreal. Well done Kerry, deserved win.
    Dublin have a lot of work to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,248 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Kerry, not cynical....BAHHAHAHAHAHA, what are you watching mate? Kerry do what they need to do to win, thats what the best teams do. Kerry and Kilkenny in hurling are the most successful and skilful teams in the country and in full flight are a joy to watch but they usually know how to win when the going gets tough.

Advertisement