Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why does RTE-Pravda allow comments on some news stories and not others?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭red menace

By "descend into farce" do you mean criticize the government? What criteria do you apply to identify a thread that will descend into farce? Boards.ie doesn't have to allow free speech as a private company, but RTE is the national broadcaster funded by the taxpayer. The propaganda machine is in full effect.

"Four legs good, two legs bad."

Nope I don't mean criticize the government but there are emotive topics that do get people worked up a lot and do attract a lot of bile.

Do you not think that if this was censorship they wouldn't even report the stories?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭pavb2

I'd still ride that blondie one on the news though.....

Case dismissed:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

PS: I'd avoid using rolleyes smileys. It takes away from the integrity of the post.

Says Mr. RTE-Pravda.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12 Sapphire Moonchild

OP: what the hell is "RTE-Pravda"? You just keep linking to the RTE News website. There's no mention of a handbag at all.

Edit: appreciate the "Thanks" guys, but I'm being serious - why does the OP keep adding the word "Pravda" to every reference he makes to RTE? WTF is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

As requested by Liam Byrne -

Here is one of the top stories from the RTE website today. http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0206/jobseekers.html It's about a new report that suggests Jobseeker's Benefit isn't adequate for even a basic standard of living. There is no court case involved. So why doesn't RTE-Pravda allow the public to comment on the story, and how will you justify it? We are only allowed to comment on positive pro-government stories, right? North Korea is Best Korea.

I'm now completely confused.

Are you open to ACTUAL possible explanations or are you flogging your "blatant censorship" line ? You've gone back to making your own assumptions again, because the last two lines of the post above show that it wouldn't matter what someone posted in reply - you have your mind made up.

I would consider it curious, yes. I do think RTE makes some curious calls at times.

So I, too, I would like a full explanation. But ranting about "RTE Pravda" and screaming about "blatant censorship" when you don't know the facts is a bit extreme for my liking.

• Advertisement
Advertisement