Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

Dublin shooting range badly needed

  • 03-02-2012 1:40am
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 31 ✭✭✭ Boa.Prinz


    The lads in Donegal have a fantastic facility here. http://www.donegalairsoft.com/index.html

    We desperately need a good range in Dublin to zero sights, practice target shooting out of the weather, general craic.

    Is here any chance this could ever happen in Dublin. Perhaps one of the many Dublin sites or shops could offer something like this to get the edge over the others.

    Thx Boa


«1

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭ dinko4gr


    Boa.Prinz wrote: »
    The lads in Donegal have a fantastic facility here. http://www.donegalairsoft.com/index.html

    We desperately need a good range in Dublin to zero sights, practice target shooting out of the weather, general craic.

    Is here any chance this could ever happen in Dublin. Perhaps one of the many Dublin sites or shops could offer something like this to get the edge over the others.

    Thx Boa

    agreed 100%. Along with gear sales and perhaps an on the spot repair service would be pretty much awesome. it would give plinkers also a place to have fun without having to actually skirmish :> combined with archery target shooting like the lads in Donegal do, it sounds pretty much a win idea.

    and it doesnt have to be free they could set a 5-10 euro entrance for the target range or charge say 5 euro for 5 targets and then you can buy extra. or even better monthly membership. hell if someone makes it happen count me in already for a full year membership :)


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,638 Jsmurff


    ASFAIK MIA sells gear , repairs it and has an indoor shooting range which worked pretty well the last time I was there

    Also last time I checked archery wasn't apparat of Airsoft so let's continue to keep it separate ;)


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,200 J.D.R


    I can't see how somewhere could possibly make a profit as a standalone range.

    Being optimistic, assuming that a range opened up and there was a constant demand for it, the profit would be minimal.

    If the range had 10 lanes of varying distance and had a stead flow of people looking to use it, and charged €10 per lane for 30 mins and operated 8 hours a day monday to sunday

    (10lanes)x(€10)x(16 30 min slots in a day)x(7 days a week)

    It comes up to €11200.

    That's at an optimal, absolute best case scenaio or running at peak capacity for4 8 straight hours 7 days a week. In reality, it'll likly only run for 3/4 hours wednesday to friday, and 7/8 hours saturday and sunday which, being optimistic again, just works out to

    2400(mid week) +3200(weekend) = €5600

    And we all know, there is no chance that any range that opened up would always have people lining up at the lanes ready to take over from the next person.

    When overheads, start up costs, other expenses are taken into account, there's no chance a viable range could operate on it's own.

    (DISCLAIMER: Very simplistic calculations used, apologies to business heads who look at this long winded post with disdain)


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,638 Jsmurff


    Well J.D.R that's why we're saying it should be built into a site or retailer in the Dublin area which it is in M.I.A and it's just fine for zeroing lasers red dots and pistol sights :)

    But if you have a rifle scope that needs zeroing then call your buddy grab a few tins and head out the back garden with a piece of cardboard simples


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,369 ✭✭✭ gerrowadat


    That's not practical for a lot of people who live in estates etc. I don't even live in Dublin and I don't have anywhere at my house that's not viewable from the public or other houses. I'm lucky in that I have places I can go nearby that relatives own, but not everyone has that opportunity.

    I think there is a niche for this sort of thing, but as J.D.R. says, it wouldn't be profitable on its own. I think it'd be a great way for a shop with a bit of space to keep people around and keep them loyal, even doing something like giving people 'range time' with AEG purchases so they can come back and plink, zero, get advice, etc.

    As with any new idea though it takes somoene sticking their neck out. My impression is that pretty much all retailers are keeping their heads down and trying to stay afloat these days.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,200 J.D.R


    Would a retailer need to get an extra level of premises insurance with such a range?

    If it was attached to an existing retailer/site with even a few chairs and a kettle so that, as everyone does when visiting a shop, lads can sit around, have a cuppa and a chat and maybe stick a tenner on the counter to play a p***** contest to see who's the most accurate shot. It might be able to bring a little bonus income to the premises

    Problem is, I don't know of any retailer with 100metresx25m of unused space in their stores


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,638 Jsmurff


    Fair'nuff ger I suppose we don't all have the advantage of living out the countryside with a garden over 200ft in width but as for the prying eye's thing feck the neighbours your on your property and aslong as your not firing into the air your fine

    Happened to me when I was living in town ( even though that property also had a large garden. It was surrounded by a 3.5ft wall and snobs either side of the house)
    But the guards said there was nothing wrong with it as I wasn't waving it at them and I wasn't acting in a threatening manor and the neighbour physically had to go out of their own way to see what Iwas doing


  • Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭ dinko4gr


    yeah on its own its prolly not viable unless you do it for RS target shooting too which a whole dif world of pain, and it doesnt have to be 100 meters or anything pretty much any warehouse space that can spare lets say tops 35 meter x 5-6-7 m for the line up would do and maybe im just pushing too much regarding the 35m hell even 25 would do :)


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭ BioHazRd


    Jsmurff wrote: »
    Fair'nuff ger I suppose we don't all have the advantage of living out the countryside with a garden over 200ft in width but as for the prying eye's thing feck the neighbours your on your property and aslong as your not firing into the air your fine

    Happened to me when I was living in town ( even though that property also had a large garden. It was surrounded by a 3.5ft wall and snobs either side of the house)
    But the guards said there was nothing wrong with it as I wasn't waving it at them and I wasn't acting in a threatening manor and the neighbour physically had to go out of their own way to see what Iwas doing

    Count yourself lucky that the gardai in this case did not understand the law. It is illegal to brandish an airsoft device in public, and that includes your own property if it is viewable by any member of the public, and that includes neighbours.

    I really hope your attitude of "feck the neighbours" was expressed with your tongue firmly implanted in your cheek. I personally would hate to have a neighbour with that attitude.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,638 Jsmurff


    BioHazRd wrote: »
    Jsmurff wrote: »
    Fair'nuff ger I suppose we don't all have the advantage of living out the countryside with a garden over 200ft in width but as for the prying eye's thing feck the neighbours your on your property and aslong as your not firing into the air your fine

    Happened to me when I was living in town ( even though that property also had a large garden. It was surrounded by a 3.5ft wall and snobs either side of the house)
    But the guards said there was nothing wrong with it as I wasn't waving it at them and I wasn't acting in a threatening manor and the neighbour physically had to go out of their own way to see what Iwas doing

    Count yourself lucky that the gardai in this case did not understand the law. It is illegal to brandish an airsoft device in public, and that includes your own property if it is viewable by any member of the public, and that includes neighbours.

    I really hope your attitude of "feck the neighbours" was expressed with your tongue firmly implanted in your cheek. I personally would hate to have a neighbour with that attitude.

    That neighbour had to poke their rather large nose through hedge row and seeing as I was in the back I could not be seen by any pedestrians unless they decided to trespass

    Also nothing but overgrown lots behind my house so no-one was in my line of sight/ fire.

    There was also a Garda sergeant living down the road who new perfectly well that myself and two other residents had rif's and I showed him what I did when plinking or zeroing in sights and he agreed that I wasn't out of order for the above reasons I wasn't shoving it in peoples faces and there was no-one at all in my line of sight that could get hurt and even of there was they would have deserved it for being foolish enough to walk through a chest high medley of nettles barbed wider and briars

    And finally yes that was a cheeky bit more aimed towards those who stick their nose where it's unwanted


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,086 ✭✭✭✭ TheDoc


    I made a post similar a few years back and I'll post it again.

    I on occasion use my airsoft stuff down the side of my house, usually in the back garden firing towards the side gate. I do it checking out new mods, new toys or just to have some fun.

    My neighbours know what I do, and what I play. But the most important factor is they know me, so there is no discomfort.

    When a new family moved into the house behind me, with three young children, the father knocked on the door querying what I was doing, as his children were watching out the window one Saturday afternoon. Me and my father showed him what I played, the AEG's etc. and had a chat about it. He apologised for coming across" as a busy body" but I quickly assured him that he had nothing to apologise for, that it can be very confusing/scary to see, but that I'm an experienced player and I dont act the bollox with my kit.

    I also had the guards called to the house one summers evening and they inspected my shed and were happy enough that I wasn't using my gear in a threatening manner, and they just wanred me not to bring outside or onto the street or gather groups of friends to be shooting my garden. That nearly four years ago now.

    The point as such is the following.

    I know I'm "breaking the law". But I just know I'm not a prat, and that I wont draw attention.
    My neighbours all know me and my family, the parents all socialise and they know I dont have anything threatening and wont cause any issues.
    My neighbour to the left is a firearms collector and houses some one of a kind items and also has licenses not normally assosiated with private citizens. The opposite side of me is a special branch Guard.

    I'm not condoning brash use of AEG's in estates or in the household.
    I'm not condoning a "**** da police attitude"

    However while your posts have been a bit brash and well , ill informed, I do to a certain extent empathise with wanting to use my kit in my household/garden.

    Its a bit of a weird one for me personally, while I usually take a stand against bolloxy laws, this one, while I'm technically breaking it, just wont cause me any guff : /


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,369 ✭✭✭ gerrowadat


    It stops being about the law and starts being about common sense. I own a car, and I'm perfectly entitled to bring it down the roundabout at the end of the estate and do mad skoda cruise control epic drifts on it. However, I don't because it's a stupid idea and is guaranteed to annoy people.


  • Registered Users Posts: 23,086 ✭✭✭✭ TheDoc


    gerrowadat wrote: »
    It stops being about the law and starts being about common sense. I own a car, and I'm perfectly entitled to bring it down the roundabout at the end of the estate and do mad skoda cruise control epic drifts on it. However, I don't because it's a stupid idea and is guaranteed to annoy people.

    On the same point if you had an nackermobile that was as load as a bomb, but drove responsibly and carefully, no one would have an issue, with you have a nacker mobile


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,638 Jsmurff


    TheDoc wrote: »
    gerrowadat wrote: »
    It stops being about the law and starts being about common sense. I own a car, and I'm perfectly entitled to bring it down the roundabout at the end of the estate and do mad skoda cruise control epic drifts on it. However, I don't because it's a stupid idea and is guaranteed to annoy people.

    On the same point if you had an nackermobile that was as load as a bomb, but drove responsibly and carefully, no one would have an issue, with you have a nacker mobile
    That neighbour of mine didn't like those either and had the guards heads wrecked calling in possible unroadworthy and stolen vehecles :pac:

    The guards that called into me happened to be visiting the sergeant (on leave) and they said that he had vouched for me they were just interested in what the fuss was all about and "Issued" me with a written warning, a pice of notepad with scrawls on it, to satisfy the mosey grumpy baxterd next door.

    One gaurs exclaimed "well I won't be able to get a porche but at least I can afford a few of these during my midlife crisis" :D


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,201 hightower1


    gerrowadat wrote: »
    I own a car, and I'm perfectly entitled to bring it down the roundabout at the end of the estate and do mad skoda cruise control epic drifts on it.

    Actually your not, thats dangerous driving and an offence... exasperated some what by it being done in a housing estate. :pac::pac::pac:


    <carry on> :cool:


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,089 ✭✭✭ moggser


    hightower1 wrote: »
    Actually your not, thats dangerous driving and an offence... exasperated some what by it being done in a housing estate. :pac::pac::pac:


    <carry on> :cool:

    he actually owns his car but still drives it like he stole it pulling wheelies and wallies in his megatron pyjama's driving round his estate screaming "whats love gotto to dooo....whats love gotto to dooo gotto too doooo wirrreeeeeh ....1.2.3.4.5 **** da police".

    true story some one prove me wrong


  • Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭ dinko4gr


    Jsmurff wrote: »
    That neighbour of mine didn't like those either and had the guards heads wrecked calling in possible unroadworthy and stolen vehecles :pac:

    The guards that called into me happened to be visiting the sergeant (on leave) and they said that he had vouched for me they were just interested in what the fuss was all about and "Issued" me with a written warning, a pice of notepad with scrawls on it, to satisfy the mosey grumpy baxterd next door.

    One gaurs exclaimed "well I won't be able to get a porche but at least I can afford a few of these during my midlife crisis" :D

    i hope you remember your attitude when you are old and grumpy "baxterd" and your neighbors kid is shooting holograms with his photon sniper or whatever and you wont call the guards. :D i get the whole wild rebellious teen spirit but make a mental note of this: regardless how old and grumpy and annoying someone can be it still costs nothing to be nice to them. who knows one day he might save your life or something like that.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,638 Jsmurff


    dinko4gr wrote: »
    Jsmurff wrote: »
    That neighbour of mine didn't like those either and had the guards heads wrecked calling in possible unroadworthy and stolen vehecles :pac:

    The guards that called into me happened to be visiting the sergeant (on leave) and they said that he had vouched for me they were just interested in what the fuss was all about and "Issued" me with a written warning, a pice of notepad with scrawls on it, to satisfy the mosey grumpy baxterd next door.

    One gaurs exclaimed "well I won't be able to get a porche but at least I can afford a few of these during my midlife crisis" :D

    i hope you remember your attitude when you are old and grumpy "baxterd" and your neighbors kid is shooting holograms with his photon sniper or whatever and you wont call the guards. :D i get the whole wild rebellious teen spirit but make a mental note of this: regardless how old and grumpy and annoying someone can be it still costs nothing to be nice to them. who knows one day he might save your life or something like that.

    Wild rebellious what.....? That guy had the whole neighbourhood after to such an extent that the homeowners association didn't even bother to remind him of when the meetings were taking place

    I merely took an interest in my hobby as one should. I then had my privacy invaded
    Honestly I don't see how Iam being rebellious here?


  • Registered Users Posts: 943 SNAKEDOC


    i think what he is trying to say it is better to try and bring the neighbours on side by been nice to them and not antagonizing them by letting them see you with the aeg's outside. i understand its on your property but see the other side of it people whether by right or law can see into your property and if they see what looks like a gun they may call the cops so why not preempt all that by telling the neighbours what is goin on offer them a go with the shooty thing and hay presto another nay sayer to airsoft is turned and we all benefit. Make love not war.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,638 Jsmurff


    SNAKEDOC wrote: »
    i think what he is trying to say it is better to try and bring the neighbours on side by been nice to them and not antagonizing them by letting them see you with the aeg's outside. i understand its on your property but see the other side of it people whether by right or law can see into your property and if they see what looks like a gun they may call the cops so why not preempt all that by telling the neighbours what is goin on offer them a go with the shooty thing and hay presto another nay sayer to airsoft is turned and we all benefit. Make love not war.

    I see what your getting at but it wouldn't work just though he owned the place he also thought that the likes of the Gaurds fire brigade and the dog warden were his imployes and bossed them around and told them how to do their jobs after he called them up for no good reason

    There was no getting through to him


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,061 Arkslippy


    Anyhooo.

    i went to the range in Donegal once and the guy who runs it gets good traffic through birthday parties and the like. it was a good value one visit interest thing but oddly enough not something I've repeated in my dozen odd visits to Donegal since.

    it gets kind of pointless for a skirmisher to be shooting a target for any length of time.

    given that at 50 feet the average aeg isint particularly accurate.

    after 2 midcap mags on single fire, i just switched to full auto to cut the target in two.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40 ✭✭✭ whyiotta


    Does anybody actually need a airsoft zero range???


  • Registered Users Posts: 11,304 ✭✭✭✭ Witcher


    whyiotta wrote: »
    Does anybody actually need a airsoft zero range???

    Some people don't want to skirmish and have no place to fire their guns so it would make sense for them but those people are too few in number to sustain a stand alone range.


  • Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭ dinko4gr


    whyiotta wrote: »
    Does anybody actually need a airsoft zero range???

    yes and we are called apartment tenants. :) Also i imagine along with us come the plinkers / collectors etc.

    Blay thats why we suggested it mostly as an add-on to a retailer. They would defo appreciate some extra bucks and im 100% it would boost their sales. It could be also with a standard membership. Random example if someone did it and managed to get like 50 people to get a membership for 10-15-20 euro a month thats not shabby. But they will get more just by people hanging around and drooling over stuff. i know i would :>


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭ sliabh


    Didn't Go Tactical have a range in their Bray place?


  • Registered Users Posts: 654 Markom5a


    theres one in mia i saw it on tallafornia :P


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,638 Jsmurff


    Markom5a wrote: »
    theres one in mia i saw it on tallafornia :P

    Mentioned it 3 times before ya but it's being ignored


  • Registered Users Posts: 31,493 ✭✭✭✭ Gatling


    There not ranges in bray or mia,
    I want an indoor range multiple lanes all over 200 ft long and the ability to use large to match box size targets, throw in some couches and decent coffee and id gladly pay to use ,

    Tallafornia seriously tallafornia

    What's next people rallying Audi's

    Langley , Virginia



  • Registered Users Posts: 1,638 Jsmurff


    Gatling wrote: »
    There not ranges in bray or mia,
    I want an indoor range multiple lanes all over 200 ft long and the ability to use large to match box size targets, throw in some couches and decent coffee and id gladly pay to use ,

    Tallafornia seriously tallafornia

    What's next people rallying Audi's


    Hey be glad you have MIA ya greedy sod there's **** all down south :mad:


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭ sharpy2010


    Realistically speaking as much as it's an add on to any business it's still expansion which at the moment sounds hood but it also incurs extra costs for said business but if you really want one why don't you approach a site it retailer and ask could you open up one under their name like a franchise?
    But also speaking would you need 200ft + I think you would only need about 100ft by 35ft. Without being 100% sure where your renting but what I have heard on average in cork it's about €7 per square foot per month in the city centre so going by my minimum of 3500sqft at €7 is €24,500 a month and as JDR pointed out at a stretch with it being constantly busy it could possibly make approx €45,000 a month, then you add on heating costs and lighting costs for a big space and all the other little bits like start upcost like timber etc. It will be awhile before any site or retailer would bring that on themselves but feel free if you would like to start one I would join up just for the chance to go plinking as I can't always go skirmishing!
    Sorry for the long text OP it is an excellent idea but like a lot of things not feasible.


Advertisement