Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards Fantasy Baseball (non-keeper) league 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭BigBadRob83

My RP strategy is finally paying off, winning my 3 pitching categories (Saves, WHIP, ERA) and focusing on a lineup that has yet to produce. Am level in one batting category and losing the other 4. Batters really need to step it up for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

You and me head to head this week Rob, let's see how your strategy works out ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Benimar

In the first 3 weeks my pitchers have gone 0-14-1 in the 5 categories :eek:

No prizes for guessing why I'm 2nd last so!

mikemac1 wrote: »
    You and me head to head this week Rob, let's see how your strategy works out ;)

Well have to stick with it at this stage, am too invested in RP's to turn back.
    Just need this bloody lineup to start hitting.... any day now lads

Was badly lacking on stolen bases so picked up Tony Campana from the Cubs
    Duly delivered, two steals :)

Still getting hammered on home runs though every week
    Will be having words with my players!

• Advertisement

Carl Crawford gone for at least 3 months, and Pujols still hasn't hit a HR.
    Still winning 4 batting categories against you Mike.... Salty!

EDIT: Oh yeah, and Ryan Zimmerman looking injured too (that's just on the batting side. Andrew Bailey and Kyle Farnsworth on DL)

Ah Philip Humber, while I wasn't expecting perfect games I also wasn't expecting you to destroy my ERA this week

Looking at the transaction trends, he's dropping like a stone

I'll keep patient for a few weeks I think

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Coeus

Ah Philip Humber, while I wasn't expecting perfect games I also wasn't expecting you to destroy my ERA this week

Looking at the transaction trends, he's dropping like a stone

I'll keep patient for a few weeks I think
    It was always going to be a tough start for Phil, with the emotion of throwing a perfect game, becoming a father during the week and up against a hitting Red Sox side. If I had him I would have benched him for this one...

Dunno if I would be so quick to drop him in a league as deep as this. Good pitching aint that easy to find so I have no problem playing him if the matchup was right...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Benimar

At the 4th attempt I get my first ever weekly win :D

After all the moaning about my pitchers last week, they got me the win as my batters took the week off.

I picked up Capuano and Niese who are looking like great acquisitions at the moment for me.

First weekly win for the Greek Gods of Walks, draft strategy finally paying off as relievers take the required 3 pitching categories for me, and the bats finally wake up to finish the week 7-2-1. AFC North rivalry carries over into another sport Mike!
    Albert Pujols going to go red-hot in May, he has to, doesn't he....

Overall record still reeling after 1-9 loss in the short Week 1.

• Advertisement

You benched your SP on the last day

I was a fraction ahead but by leaving my SP in, my WHIP went up unfortunately and I barely lost

I see what you did ;)
    Veteran move

Your batters were on fire last week too

Still three and one :)

You benched your SP on the last day

I was a fraction ahead but by leaving my SP in, my WHIP went up unfortunately and I barely lost

I see what you did ;)
    Veteran move
    Yes, this is a tactic I have used a few times before :)

Yet to have the chance in this league as my team has been awful, well mainly my batting which has been anemic. I knew I was gonna be weak in power but I built it for speed which has failed to materialise. Gonna have to start making some risky roster moves...

Open to trading most of my batters, looking for upgrades in the lineup:
    1B Pujols
    1B Pena
    1B Konerko
    SS Alexi Ramirez

Any reasonable offer for other guys.

My bats (where I invested nearly all of my high picks) are killing me!

Open to trading most of my batters, looking for upgrades in the lineup:
    1B Pujols
    1B Pena
    1B Konerko
    SS Alexi Ramirez

Any reasonable offer for other guys.

My bats (where I invested nearly all of my high picks) are killing me!
    Konerko is doing alright this season, good AVE, decent power. Hit a homer in all today...

You aint the only with problems at 1B, I have Ike Davis on my roster :o

Coeus wrote: »
    Konerko is doing alright this season, good AVE, decent power. Hit a homer in all today...

You aint the only with problems at 1B, I have Ike Davis on my roster :o

Am getting good production from Konerko and Pena, so know might have to give them up to upgrade elsewhere.
    Though I might be selling low on Pujols, with my position in the league can't afford to wait for him to get it together.

After over thirty changes I'm finally happy with my roster :)
    Going to tone down all the fiddling and tinkering

And my hitters are performing at last, I've lost most hitting categories almost every week so far

Ubaldo Jimenez is scary with his inconsistency!
    I start and I haven't a clue if he will perform for Cleveland or if he'll destroy my stats
    Not good for the nerves

Ubaldo Jimenez is scary with his inconsistency!
    I start and I haven't a clue if he will perform for Cleveland or if he'll destroy my stats
    Not good for the nerves
    Ubaldo is the Tim Lincecum of the AL in that he was the staff ace but no longer is. This is mainly due to the reduced velocity on his pitches. I drafted him in the keeper league but dropped him a few weeks back due to his inconsistency, he wasn't really getting enough Ks either. That league is nowhere near as deep as this league so it was easy enough to find a replacement. Here though the waiver wire is as thin as it gets...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

Don't get me started on Ub J!
    Drafted him last year in our current keeper in round 3 as my 'ACE' pitcher.
    He didn't start properly until mid-May due to various injuries.

Once in a blue moon he gets to about 5 innings with no hits and 8Ks and then blows up and gives up 5 runs in one inning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

7-2
    9-1
    9-1
    9-1
    8-2

Sad thing is I don't even know where it's going wrong. Going to have to put some work into it over the next few days.

Anyway, I'm blowing up the team (Isotopes), just assume everybody is on the trading block (Reddick and Pedroia would depend a lot on the offer).

Masked Man wrote: »
    7-2
    9-1
    9-1
    9-1
    8-2

Sad thing is I don't even know where it's going wrong. Going to have to put some work into it over the next few days.

Anyway, I'm blowing up the team (Isotopes), just assume everybody is on the trading block (Reddick and Pedroia would depend a lot on the offer).
    Is CarGo on the block? He is easily your best player...

You should use your DL spot for your injured pitcher and try and pick up a solid starter or pitching prospect. That aint easy in this league league.

I've had to rebuild my team to get back over .500. I only have 10 players left who I drafted...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭UCD AFC

I also overhauled my staff from what I drafted - I had ignored relievers which was hurting me (still have 0 closers though :( )

CarGo is available. I'm pretty strong in OF and I think I'd be ok losing one player from there (even if it is my best player).
    Coeus wrote: »
    You aint the only with problems at 1B, I have Ike Davis on my roster

:o

Think I might have to look for an upgrade there.

Rob, I'm definitely interested in discussing a trade.

Masked Man wrote: »
    CarGo is available. I'm pretty strong in OF and I think I'd be ok losing one player from there (even if it is my best player).

:o

Think I might have to look for an upgrade there.

Rob, I'm definitely interested in discussing a trade.
    Yea, I had already benched Ike by then. I held for as long as I could hoping he would turn it around but when there was talks of him been demoted I decided to cut him. Morse is back for me now so hopefully he can provide 1B type production.

I'd be interested in CarGo aswell. I'll have a look later and see if I'm willing to give up what I think he worth...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Trade proposed to Masked Man. Its not quite as stupid as my trade last year for Pujols but I'm still giving up a lot.

Thoughts anyone ?

I give up : RA Dickey, Mark Reynolds, Nick Swisher, Justin Morneau

Isotopes give up : Carlos Gonzalez, Ryan Roberts.

I really dunno what I expect the answer to be !

Trade proposed to Masked Man. Its not quite as stupid as my trade last year for Pujols but I'm still giving up a lot.

Thoughts anyone ?

I give up : RA Dickey, Mark Reynolds, Nick Swisher, Justin Morneau

Isotopes give up : Carlos Gonzalez, Ryan Roberts.

Interesting offer. Probably wouldn't do that myself as don't like getting bits and pieces for star players but that's just me

Just accepted the trade.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 SurelyYouJest

You folks might enjoy this site:

http://razzball.com/

Masked Man: So, you traded CarGo. In times past, humans were burnt at the stake for lesser heresies.

Lastly, as you'll learn at Razzball, should you visit, there is one rule with two renditions for fantasy baseball, to wit...

SAGNOF = saves ain't got no face
    SAGNOF = steals ain't got no face

And if he well and truly stinks, he's a schmohawk.

Oh, for one more, since I saw some posts mourning the soul who puts up some numbers while benched, well, that's a sonuvabench.

Well and truly lastly, glad to see some getting interested the game (the real game and not so much fantasy).

Sorry, for one more, keep in mind the notion that it is not a mortal sin to stash guys on the DL. Meaning that if you have the DL and aren't too worried about your max weekly moves limit, then if you are going to drop and add then you might as well do a drop, add a DL soul, stash him on the DL, and then add. And keep an eye on those souls likely to be called up in the not so distant future. For example, on more than one occasion I've cleared my bench to add guys who weren't likely to be up in the MLB for another month or so. So long as you don't think that you'll fall out of playoff contention in the interim, then is also not mortal sin to clear the bench in order to grab yourself some up and coming studs. Also, look for guys who are doing well now in limited time and it looks like they stand gain regular playing time. The latest of such souls is Norichika Aoki. I added him to all my teams about a month ago (I've got 16 teams, one season, 09, I had 32). Anyway, enjoy the game(s).

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭UCD AFC

Hi guys, I seem to have my team settled ok, one or two problems here and there but the team has a winning record and that was sort of my aim for my first fantasy season.

Would anyone be willing to trade a decent catcher for 3B Aramis Ramirez,
    42 runs 9 homers 42 RBI 2 SB .263 Avg.

Been hearing a lot of hype about Anthony Rizzo 1B for the Cubs
    ESPN Fantasy podcast gave their first ten minutes to him today

Snapped him up during the week and he is expected to be called up over the weekend or next week

I'm hoping for a lot
    Getting murdered in batting categories this week, 10 runs behind :o

• Advertisement

Been hearing a lot of hype about Anthony Rizzo 1B for the Cubs
    ESPN Fantasy podcast gave their first ten minutes to him today

Snapped him up during the week and he is expected to be called up over the weekend or next week
    Yea, I was looking to pick him up in this league myself but he was gone when I checked yesterday. He is tearing it up down on the farm this season so could do well. Any highly touted prospect is worth a pickup in this league. You wont be wanting a repeat of his callup for the Padres last season though...

Advertisement