Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

That just doesn't make sense!

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

http://sfdebris.com/videos/startrek/v882.asp

he mentions it here in the review of 'waking moments'
    I emailed him too and he said cathexis showed it.. but i cant find his review for that, and I wont have time to watch it until tomorrow

he seems pretty certain that the ship monitors their brainwaves at all times there, but it seems to me from the way he said it that he's referencing one of his own reviews.. and I do think I saw it on one of his reviews.. but no cathexis review there..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

http://sfdebris.com/videos/startrek/v882.asp

he mentions it here in the review of 'waking moments'
    I emailed him too and he said cathexis showed it.. but i cant find his review for that, and I wont have time to watch it until tomorrow

he seems pretty certain that the ship monitors their brainwaves at all times there, but it seems to me from the way he said it that he's referencing one of his own reviews.. and I do think I saw it on one of his reviews.. but no cathexis review there..

I applaud the hunt :)

For me that link is difficult viewing, I lasted 4 mins & had to stop {american armchair reviewer humour really bores me} I'll trust your judgement on that one & agree it's likely one of his own views. I've had a poke around the web myself, like you I can see opinions etc on it I just can't find it in cannon...I'll keep looking...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

EnterNow wrote: »
    Why is it that altering the past in First Contact, affects & changes the current timeline - and altering the past in the newest film, creates a new timeline & leaves the old one still existing?

Because alternate timelines don't make for good drama.

PICARD: They're creating a temporal vortex.
    RIKER: Time travel!
    (the Enterprise suffers a shockwave)
    PICARD: Data, report!
    DATA: We appear to be caught in a temporal wake.
    WORF: Captain, ...Earth.

DATA: Everything looks normal, sir.
    RIKER: Wait, if the Borg went back in time and assimilated Earth, shouldn't the whole planet be Borg?
    DATA: Whatever changes they made in the past probably resulted in the creation of an entirely new timeline, separate from our own.
    PICARD: We must follow them back. Repair whatever damage they've— Uh? Oh, okay. Well, that's grand so. Mr Hawk, set course for Risa! I think we've earned ourselves some shore leave. The other timeline can take care of itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

^
    :pac:

Two hours of scantily clad risan women would have also been a good film though...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Because alternate timelines don't make for good drama.

PICARD: They're creating a temporal vortex.
    RIKER: Time travel!
    (the Enterprise suffers a shockwave)
    PICARD: Data, report!
    DATA: We appear to be caught in a temporal wake.
    WORF: Captain, ...Earth.

DATA: Everything looks normal, sir.
    RIKER: Wait, if the Borg went back in time and assimilated Earth, shouldn't the whole planet be Borg?
    DATA: Whatever changes they made in the past probably resulted in the creation of an entirely new timeline, separate from our own.
    PICARD: We must follow them back. Repair whatever damage they've— Uh? Oh, okay. Well, that's grand so. Mr Hawk, set course for Risa! I think we've earned ourselves some shore leave. The other timeline can take care of itself.

yeah its kinda like needing a tiny tiny amount of red matter but carrying a lorry load of it around, or a star exploding which can destroy the entire galaxy or r2d2 repairing a federation ship.. things like this just turn a **** movie into an excellent summer blockbuster

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 Ferrakins

i used to wonder who did their hair but then after a while i guessed they just went to the holodeck

one thing i cant figure out is, at the end of voyager, when the sphere comes out of the transwarp conduit just at earth - if the borg had one of these all along, why didnt they just send a hundred cubes through it and assimilate the planet before?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

Considering the amount of security breachs, Worf should have been fired a long, long time ago. I'd love to see his record but he is a terrible securty chief

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Ferrakins wrote: »
    i used to wonder who did their hair but then after a while i guessed they just went to the holodeck
    they show a hairdresser in one ep of TNG don't they, Bolian? Also Picard pretends to be one in that Barrion Sweep episode iirc.

All that hair would make a terrible mess of the holodeck and we're yet to see any little robo-sweeper or anything about. Actually, how do they keep the corridors so clean all the time?

one thing i cant figure out is, at the end of voyager, when the sphere comes out of the transwarp conduit just at earth - if the borg had one of these all along, why didnt they just send a hundred cubes through it and assimilate the planet before?

wouldn't make for a very good episode. First two mins, big fire fight as cubes emerge, lots of dying, then the next 43 or so mins of the Borg assimilating everything and ending trek ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Simi

Ferrakins wrote: »

There was an episode showing Picard getting a hair cut.

As for the voyager finale, it's best not to think about it. It's just terrible. They killed the franchise long before enterprise could.

Yeah I think his name was Mot, we also see Worf getting his hair cut in Schisms...when he reacts to the blades up near his face.

That Borg question has been asked many times before, one can only deduce that assimilating Earth just isn't a big priority for the Collective. It's hard to really believe that though, because two Cubes would have been more than enough. It's one of the things that actually doesn't really make sense, & the writers created this problem for themselves

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Simi wrote: »
    There was an episode showing Picard getting a hair cut.

Must have been a pretty short episode :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Voyager and the Borg....*sighs*

At least with TNG, you didn't know how many cubes they had, or terrority.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭downwithpeace

IvySlayer wrote: »

Voyager neutered the Borg, from big scary machine men to Swedes in name.

IvySlayer wrote: »

Exactly, the scariest enemy is the one you know bearly anything about!

Q-Who was a masterpiece in atmosphere

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

Exactly, the scariest enemy is the one you know bearly anything about!

Q-Who was a masterpiece in atmosphere

Species 8472 were a missed opportunity to give all of the quadrants a new enemy as well. What a shame that was neutered in one episode of Voyager too. :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Species 8472 were a missed opportunity to give all of the quadrants a new enemy as well. What a shame that was neutered in one episode of Voyager too. :(

Yeah.. 8472 were awesome and then they made friends :confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Supermensch

The episode Genesis from The Next Generation. When I saw the fully-formed iguana that supposedly was Data's cat after 2 days of devolution I laughed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Why is it that altering the past in First Contact, affects & changes the current timeline - and altering the past in the newest film, creates a new timeline & leaves the old one still existing?

On this (and I know it was discussed in the thread covering the new film) but was it ever mentioned in the film, or book, or comic or anything else that could be seen as canon, that the existing timeline survived? Or is it just an assumption based on a combination of physics theory and a hope that Abrams wouldn't be so arrogant as to rub out 45 years of film and TV?

Beefy78 wrote: »
    On this (and I know it was discussed in the thread covering the new film) but was it ever mentioned in the film, or book, or comic or anything else that could be seen as canon, that the existing timeline survived? Or is it just an assumption based on a combination of physics theory and a hope that Abrams wouldn't be so arrogant as to rub out 45 years of film and TV?

I refuse to subscribe to believing 45 years of cannon was wiped out. Abrams can fugg right off tbh.

But surely using what Trek have established time and time again with First Contact, and numerous TV episodes, from Trials & Tribbleations, the Past Tense two parter, Children of Time, right back to The City on The Edge of Forever that is exactly what he did. That's exactly the issue I had with the film leaving the cinema and despite reading lots of people talk about alternate timelines and what have you I've never been able to get on board with it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭filmbuffboy

Didnt Abrams making Vulcan now non existant essentially prove he was arrogant enough to discount 45 years of star trek history?

dont get me wrong, I love the new film. Given the state the franchise was in, I welcome it. But at the same time I cant help but be annoyed at the total disregard for a timeline which I grew up with and pretty much know back to front

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭somuj

Did anyone even watch the dreadful film. The original timeline still exists. JJ's dirt film is in an alternate timeline as explained by spock.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭somuj

Did anyone even watch the dreadful film. The original timeline still exists. JJ's dirt film is in an alternate timeline as explained by spock.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

Didnt Abrams making Vulcan now non existant essentially prove he was arrogant enough to discount 45 years of star trek history?

dont get me wrong, I love the new film. Given the state the franchise was in, I welcome it. But at the same time I cant help but be annoyed at the total disregard for a timeline which I grew up with and pretty much know back to front

ST 2009 is set in an alternate universe. I wouldn't even regard any information about the Star Trek universe contained in it as canon either (Romulan star randomly going nova for example). You'd think the millions of years of stellar expansion would have tipped them off. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭filmbuffboy

Goldstein wrote: »
    ST 2009 is set in an alternate universe. I wouldn't even regard any information about the Star Trek universe contained in it as canon either (Romulan star randomly going nova for example). You'd think the millions of years of stellar expansion would have tipped them off. :pac:

but thats just the problem. going forward, with another movie on the way and new individuals at the helm of what is star trek for the forseeable future, how are we to separate canon from 2009 star trek onwards? Personally, I find it very hard to do.

somuj wrote: »

Yeah, but the Spock from the established timeline crossed over into JJ's timeline & told of how the galaxy was effectively destroyed or something. Total nonsense. Still, it made for a semi-decent sci-fi action film...it just happened to have the words Star Trek stuck onto it

somuj wrote: »

When did Spock explain that? He explained how he went back in time and altered the timeline but I didn't catch anything to say that he was claiming the original timeline still existed.

It's definitely an alternate timeline. As soon as the Narada/Spock went through the wormhole, they created a alternate timeline in a 'new' universe.

1. Where everything we know from the previous 45 years happened, as well as Romulus being destroyed and Spock disappearing into a Black Hole.

2. The new JJ timeline, with everything that happened in the movie. I'm actually interested in seeing how these changes effect the universe, though we may never get a good sense of just how much changed.

Universe 2 is probably going to be the 'main' timeline from now on, unless someone manages to get the rights to do a new series down the line.

But what are you basing that on as that contradicts pretty much every previous Trek episode and film involving time travel? That simply isn't how Trek have established how time travel works and, more importantly, it's not how Back to the Future established how time travel works :)

• Advertisement

When do we ever see that it's not how it works like that though? Just because our crew get back to the main timeline, doesn't mean that the alternate timeline didn't continue without them.

Doesn't Parallels in TNG show that pretty much every possible universe exists together, we just usually don't have any interaction with it?

Who knows, in a possible alternate universe, i'm captain of the Enterprise :P

Advertisement