Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BookDepository: Return of the 24 hours of sales 02.02.12

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭dobh

got the rachel allen and the nature photography books. great deals.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭donnacha

got one of these - thanks
    Kajor wrote: »
    http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/Rachels-Favourite-Food-at-Home-Rachel-Allen/9780007275793

Rachel's Favourite Food at Home (Paperback)
    by Rachel Allen

€5.88 Save €12.12
    67% off
    RRP €18.00

468 remaining

Short Description for Rachel's Favourite Food at Home
    If you've ever prayed for kitchen inspiration, Rachel's Favourite Food at Home serves up the answers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭Tym

Hardback of I am Legend for under a fiver:P

Save 6.53.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

totoal wrote: »
    From wikipedia - Doctorow's newest young adult novel, For The Win, was released in May 2010. The novel is available free on the author's website as a Creative Commons download, and is also published in traditional paper format by Tor Books [my emphasis]
    How is the Cory Doctorow book a bargain? It's available for free as a download, you don't need to buy it? :confused:http://craphound.com/ftw/download/
    Thanks to Totoal for the post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Oracle wrote: »
    How is the Cory Doctorow book a bargain? It's available for free as a download, you don't need to buy it? :confused:http://craphound.com/ftw/download/
    Thanks to Totoal for the post.

If you dont like reading books on a screen and prefer a book its a bargain, nothing confusing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

If someone wants to pay €6 for a book, that's available free to download, because they prefer a printed book, that's fine. I don't think most people would consider that a bargain though.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Kajor

http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/Blood-Sinister-Celia-Rees/9781407115504

Blood Sinister (Paperback)
    By Celia Rees

€2.04Save €6.35
    75% off
    RRP €8.39

500 remaining

Short Description for Blood Sinister
    Ellen hasn't seen Andy for years - and the transformation is incredible. He's tall, with high cheekbones and tousled hair. If Ellen was normal, she'd have a crush on him. But Ellen is dying. Her illness is a mystery. It's as if all the strength is being sucked from her. What dark force is reaching out to claim her, draining her lifeblood away?

The Dangerous Book Of Heroes is now 7.08, you save 16.93. I'm definetly going to buy it, it'll be great for creative writing.

Here's info on it:
    From the co-author of the bestselling 'The Dangerous Book for Boys', this is a book of heroes, new and old, known and sadly forgotten, now to be glorified as they ought to be. From Captain Scott to Joe Simpson, from Douglas Bader to Ernest Shackleton, from Gertrude Bell to Emily Pankhurst, Conn Iggulden brings our great heroes from history back to life. Filled with the British sense of fair play and decency that made 'The Dangerous Book for Boys' so popular, 'The Dangerous Book of Heroes' celebrates those who fought for what is right and good, those who made amazing discoveries, those who moved boundaries in their lifetimes. A book of heroes written by Conn Iggulden, a man who knows what makes a hero.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭brian_t

The Dangerous Book of Heroes

Did you notice that there are two different prices on this.

http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/ Price is € 8.39

http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/Dangerous-Heroes-Conn-Iggulden/9780007260928 Price is € 7.08

It's selling fast.

I am God (Paperback) By (author) Giorgio Faletti

€3.48 - Save €6.11

A serial killer holds New York in his grip. He does not choose his victims. Nor does he watch them die. But then there are too many of them for that. The explosion of a twenty-two storey building, followed by the casual discovery of a letter, lead the police to face up to a dreadful reality: some of New York's buildings were mined at the time of their construction. But which ones? And how many? A young female detective hiding her personal demons behind a tough appearance, and a former press photographer with a past he'd rather forget, and for which he still seeks forgiveness, are the only hope of stopping this psychopath. A man who does not even claim responsibility for his actions. A man who believes himself to be God. Praise for the Giorgio Faletti: "In my neck of the woods, people like Faletti are called larger than life, living legends". (Jeffery Deaver). "Publishing sensation". ("Financial Times"). "I Kill is one of those bestsellers that proceeds at a cracking pace and presses all the right buttons with clinical efficiency. Giorgio Faletti's thriller is set in Monte Carlo, home to so many obnoxious millionaires and their trophy girlfriends that what the city really needs is a serial killer. Enter just such a killer .. The writing has no great literary pretentions, but then it does not have to. The plot is the thing". ("Sunday Telegraph). "The best selling first novel by Giorgio Faletti ...has been defined as a masterpiece and Faletti himself as the best living Italian writer." (Corriere della Sera).

• Advertisement

An Autobiography (Paperback) By Agatha Christie

€5.64 - Save €12.36

Agatha Christie's 'most absorbing mystery' -- her own autobiography, with new exclusive CD containing newly discovered priceless recordings from more than 40 years ago of Agatha dictating excerpts about her life as a writer. Over the three decades since her death on 12 January 1976, many of Agatha Christie's readers and reviewers have maintained that her most compelling book is probably still her least well-known. Her candid Autobiography, written mainly in the 1960s, modestly ignores the fact that Agatha had become the best-selling novelist in history and concentrates on her fascinating private life. From early childhood at the end of the 19th century, through two marriages and two World Wars, and her experiences both as a writer and on archaeological expeditions with her second husband, Max Mallowan, Agatha shares the details of her varied and sometimes complex life with real passion and openness. Then, in 2008, Agatha Christie's grandson made a remarkable discovery. While clearing out her old house in preparation for its opening to the public, Greenway in Devon, a box of old tape reels was found to contain the recordings of Agatha dictating her Autobiography for her typist. These remarkable recordings are not only an amazingly rare example of Agatha's voice, but they also partly explain the engaging nature of her Autobiography - for they reveal the normally reclusive Agatha telling her own story in a lively, spontaneous and often conspiratorial way, whose passion in talking about her life is captured in the printed Autobiography. Now this new edition comes complete with a CD of highlights from these priceless tapes, giving Agatha Christie's millions of fans the opportunity to hear the Queen of Crime's story in her own words, and rediscover her remarkable full story in this special edition of her book, which is newly introduced by Mathew Prichard, the grandson who discovered the tapes.

@Brian
    I am god sounds kickass:O

Yeah just a quick one I noticed. I wouldn't buy this in a million years but if you like Agatha Cristie or know someone who likes Agath Christie they may like this book (shrugs)
    Agatha Christie Autobiograpy!!! You save just under 13 euro and it only costs 5.6. Sure why not?

Paddington Suitcase (Paperback)

By Michael Bond, Illustrated by R. W. Alley

€5.64 - Save €12.36

Enjoy eight delightful Paddington story books in this special gift edition suitcase. Children's favourite, Paddington Bear is a distinguished small bear of earnest good intentions who gets drawn into mishap and adventure at every turn. Thankfully his great sense of logic and determination manage to get him out of most scrapes, albeit in perhaps some rather unconventional ways. Find out what happens when Paddington gets all the wrong kind of attention at the zoo, how he skyrockets on a funfair ride and how he 'helps out' around the house!with messy results! The Paddington books contained in the suitcase are: Paddington and the Busy Day Paddington and the Marmalade Maze Paddington and the Tutti Frutti Rainbow Paddington at the Fair Paddington at the Palace Paddington at the Zoo Paddington Minds the House Paddington the Artist

• Registered Users Posts: 11,942 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Padding sold out already ... 500 units!

GBX wrote: »
    Padding sold out already ... 500 units!

It took 3 minutes and 20 seconds.

Agatha Christie's autobiography took about 11 minutes to sell out.

The Octonauts and the Frown Fish (Hardback) By Meomi, Illustrated by Meomi

€3.66 - Save €9.53

Hello Kitty meets Star Trek under the sea! Dive in for adventure with these cute new picture book characters. The Octonauts are a crew of cute animals who love to explore the big blue ocean. From their underwater base, the Octopod, the eight intrepid friends are always ready for fun and excitement! When the Octonauts meet a fish with a giant frown on his face, they begin to feel glum too! The Octonauts try everything they can to cheer him up; making music, field trips, miniature golf, and even a baking marathon. Will their new friend ever smile?

Lord of the Flies (Paperback) By William Golding

€3.72 - Save €5.87

Gone in 61/2 minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 tess26

Cupcakes from the Primrose Bakery
    (Hardback)
    Martha Swift

€4.62
    Save €13.38

The Time Machine by HG Wells. Price: 4.02. Save: 6.77.

A Victorian scientist develops a time machine and travels to the year 802,171 AD. There he finds the meek, child-like Eloi who live in fear of the underground-dwelling Morlocks. When his time machine goes missing, the Traveller faces a fight to enter the Morlocks' domain and return to his own time. THE TIME MACHINE remains one of the cornerstones of science-fiction literature and has proved hugely influential.

Memory Boot Camp (Paperback) By Tony Buzan

€5.16 - Save €10.43

Improve your short-term and long-term memory in just seconds a day. With Tony Buzan's exclusive memory pack, you'll have everything you need to extend your memory life and jump start your creativity and brain power. Get the essential tools you need to remembering names, places, and faces. Or just get a sharper edge on the competition with Tony Buzan's help. This memory pack comes complete with: A 192pp book loaded with quick techniques to increase your memory, self-tests that can be completed in just seconds a day, and the secret behind mind-mapping. A wipe-off board and 4 colourful wipe-off markers that will help you create your mind maps, the most effective way to increase your memory. A colourful memory wheel with dozens of memory combinations so you can test yourself regularly.

• Advertisement

Moab is My Washpot (Paperback) By Stephen Fry

€3.54 - Save €7.25

Moab is My Washpot is in turns funny, shocking, tender, delicious, sad, lyrical, bruisingly frank and addictively readable. Stephen Fry's bestselling memoir tells how, sent to a boarding school 200 miles from home at the age of seven, he survived beatings, misery, love, ecstasy, carnal violation, expulsion, imprisonment, criminal conviction, probation and catastrophe to emerge, at eighteen, ready to try and face the world in which he had always felt a stranger. When he was fifteen, he wrote this in a letter to himself, not to be read until he was twenty-five: 'Well I tell you now that everything I feel now, everything I am now is truer and better than anything I shall ever be. Ever. This is me now, the real me. Every day that I grow away from the me that is writing this now is a betrayal and a defeat.' Whether the real Stephen Fry is the man now living, or the extraordinary adolescent now dead, only you will be able to decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

Ended up buying 4 books in the past 24 hours that I would have never bought under normal circumstances! I just get sucked in by these sort of things:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭donnacha

lindtee wrote: »
    Ended up buying 4 books in the past 24 hours that I would have never bought under normal circumstances! I just get sucked in by these sort of things:(

in fairness there were some decent deals to be had - just bought 1 myself

I think that there was a better selection on offer this time around then in their last 24 hour sale.

Advertisement