Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Castleknock or Ashtown?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Stripey Cat

navsat wrote: »
    In this time I live in Zurich, Switzerland. I never see junkie or robbery here.
    All night I can go with no crime happen to me.

You'll be fine then. Dublin is almost exactly like Zurich.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

Having lived in both, I would say for convenience, Ashtown. Castleknock doesn't have amenities that Ashtown does and I find SQ very handy, as well as the train to town. Castleknock in general has been quieter at night, random drunks, parties etc. Train station also in Castleknock but further from town and a bit of a trek for most living there.

As has been said before plenty of decent places in town. I have to laugh at the idiots who slate the whole area cause they know a blow in etc that lived in a stupidly bad place they just went with, rather than doing some research first.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Jay D wrote: »
    As has been said before plenty of decent places in town. I have to laugh at the idiots who slate the whole area cause they know a blow in etc that lived in a stupidly bad place they just went with, rather than doing some research first.

+1 on that.

Know of students / just out of college people living in some of the not so great areas and that tends to colour their views of the northside of the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Hannibal

monument wrote: »
    +1 on that.

Know of students / just out of college people living in some of the not so great areas and that tends to colour their views of the northside of the city.
    well DCU is in Ballymun and there's never a report of anyone being robbed or beaten up etc most areas are quiet once you're not naive about how you approach them

Dotsey wrote: »
    +1 on that.

well DCU is in Ballymun and there's never a report of anyone being robbed or beaten up etc most areas are quiet once you're not naive about how you approach them

I was thinking more along the lines of students living within crap areas inside the canals.

But DCU is very much so not in Ballymun. The Ballymun Road entrance is in Glasnevin, while the north entrance is Santy / Whitehall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Hannibal

I was thinking more along the lines of students living within crap areas inside the canals.

But DCU is very much so not in Ballymun. The Ballymun Road entrance is in Glasnevin, while the north entrance is Santy / Whitehall.
    DCU is very much so in Ballymun! You're listening to Bono too much if you think that area is Glasnevin. Glasnevin is down where the Botanic Gardens and the graveyard is. The Collins Ave entrance is practically close to Santry but the college as a whole is much closer to Ballymun than anywhere else

The Ballymun Road entrance is 50 yards from the traffic lights at the junction between Finglas and Ballymun. Although a proportion of people living in this area strangely refer to it as Glasnevin North and through snobbery got the Avenue/Road/Park changed from Ballymun to Glasnevin

Dotsey wrote: »
    DCU is very much so in Ballymun! You're listening to Bono too much if you think that area is Glasnevin. Glasnevin is down where the Botanic Gardens and the graveyard is. The Collins Ave entrance is practically close to Santry but the college as a whole is much closer to Ballymun than anywhere else

The Ballymun Road entrance is 50 yards from the traffic lights at the junction between Finglas and Ballymun. Although a proportion of people living in this area strangely refer to it as Glasnevin North and through snobbery got the Avenue/Road/Park changed from Ballymun to Glasnevin

You're wrong. Glasnevin is a wide area which goes from south of the graveyard to north of DCU

And this is not a new thing, the red crosshairs are in the same location in both maps:

Historical the name Ballymun was just confined to the area around and a bit north of what is now the Ballymun M50 junction. The subdistricts which now form Ballymun were apart of the wider Santry area.

DCU was in the area 'Wad' (after the small river of the same name, I'm guessing) and all maps available on OSI.ie show that this was a subdistrict of -- you've guessed it -- Glasnevin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Mance Rayder

I already told you in the other Thread. CLONTARF. Its 3 mins on dart and you wont have any trouble. Its poshtastic.

Technically the whole area is in the townland of Ballymun in the Barony of Santry.;)

By the way if you really must choose between Ashtown and castleknock well Ashtown if your renting, it's lovely have friends there. Castleknock if you win the lotto. :P

It's still Dublin west though which is a big NO NO for me. its too close to bandit country. AKA Mulhuddart, Blanch, Clonee, and the other pimples on the ar$e of Dublin.

• Advertisement

Its so in Ballymun. Anyway Ballymuns fooking huge so just because some estates have bad reputations doesnt mean that the whole area is bad. THere are parts of Ballymun that are nicer then parts of Glasnevin. There I said it. I should know I lived in all those areas.

Whitehall is way over by the Swords road junction. Glasnevin is further up the Ballymun road. It's Ballymuntastic. I suppose theres a little bit of Santry going on there too....

Look, randomer on internet vs OSI maps = OSI maps wins. :pac:
    But its not called the Santry road, or the Glasnevin road no, it's the Ballymun road. ;)

Typically, when you are on X name place road you are not always in X name place. The Dublin Road(s) in Galway, Kilkenny etc are not in Dublin! The Swords Road in the city is not part of Swords! The Howth Road is not in Howth!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

By the way if you really must choose between Ashtown and castleknock well Ashtown if your renting, it's lovely have friends there. Castleknock if you win the lotto. :P

It's still Dublin west though which is a big NO NO for me. its too close to bandit country. AKA Mulhuddart, Blanch, Clonee, and the other pimples on the ar$e of Dublin.

What a stupid stupid answer. I live in Blanchardstown and brought up in Castleknock. Never had an issue

There is no issue with Dublin West that there isn't anywhere else.

Personally for the OP I would go with Ashtown due to facilities if no car.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Hi my first thread closed I dont know why so I make this new.
    Someone who live in Castleknock or Ashtown?

First thread many people say Dublin 1 there is many heroin addict, so I decide live longer away from city center.
    Can you recommend this area and why is this good or bad place?

Thank you very much.
    I dont understand what you mean. Posh what is that? and I will not live in Finglas. Thanks
    I will work in city center. Walking distance to shops will be very nice.
    Castleknock have many shops in walking distance?
    Many areas you say are in south part. Is north side very bad? I not say Dublin 1 full of addict but other people on forum say that.

They say stay away from Talbot street and oconnell street.
    Unprovoked attack happen many time in Dublin? I read in Irish web news attack on finnish teen.

Irish people also scared? this is not ok
    Maybe I will go with train to Connolly station. But I want ask if drugdealer or junkie on trains?
    In this time I live in Zurich, Switzerland. I never see junkie or robbery here.
    All night I can go with no crime happen to me.

A pro troll would have made a lot more deliberate spelling errors.
    You are doing well in screwing up the grammar (although you make it a little too obvious in places - most places actually).

But, you've got people arguing over nothing so thats a result.
    And while most of us recognise the fact that you are simply a sad twat with nothing better to do than attempt an impersonation of a non EU citizen seeking advice about Dublin, we can smile at the probable fact that you have possibly never set foot outside Dublin (or whatever part of Ireland you hail from).

I reckon you've never been to Switzerland, let alone Zurich.
    But of course, there is no way of proving that. Unless you can do so.

You're doing well at what you set out to do though. Well done for that.

It's just a shame people like you have nothing better to do with their lives. It would be tempting to say that you are a wasted talent, but the sad truth is, you are probably good for fúckall else.

If babies came with barcodes, I reckon your mother would have demanded a refund on day one.

Ok mods. Ban me now if you must. But the I only speak the truth

On the topic of where DCU is (Off topic I know) according to the OSI maps the whole area historically falls under the barony of Coolock ( I made a mistake when I said Santry Barony, its actually the Parish of Santry in Coolock Barony). Most of the Northside of Dublin is part of this . Fingal ie North of Coolock (Swords to Balbriggan) would be in Balrothery Barony.

The lines are blurred nowadays and I must admit I was partially just poking fun at DCU students who didnt want to be associated with Ballymun.

DCU 'straddles' Glasnevin, Whitehall, Santry and Ballymun.

Also I agree with the above poster, OP is taking the michael.

amtc wrote: »
    What a stupid stupid answer. I live in Blanchardstown and brought up in Castleknock. Never had an issue

There is no issue with Dublin West that there isn't anywhere else.

Personally for the OP I would go with Ashtown due to facilities if no car.

If I was brought up in Castleknock I doubt I would have any issues either.:D

It's the beverly hills of west Dublin.

I fear we may have strayed a little from our theme.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Hi my first thread closed I dont know why so I make this new.
    Someone who live in Castleknock or Ashtown?

First thread many people say Dublin 1 there is many heroin addict, so I decide live longer away from city center.
    Can you recommend this area and why is this good or bad place?

Thank you very much.

Why don't you search for somewhere that has a good school that you can learn to speak english properly and go and live there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

stevieob wrote: »
    Why don't you search for somewhere that has a good school that you can learn to speak english properly and go and live there?

banned, 1 month

• Registered Users Posts: 19 navsat

I check on maps Ashtown is northside. Dublin west more danger than city center?

sorry but I not troll, Sometime I use translate google. My english not so good but I will learn in future more.

Ashtown has Superquinn, the supermarket with the the best cheese counter in Ireland.

There also is pharmacy, a liquor store, a hair dressers and not much else.

The train station is right beside the train tracks.

Castleknock has no supermarket, no cheese, no nothing really.

• Advertisement

You'd hope so. Irish Rail are not that bad that they build train stations away from train tracks.

You'd hope so. Irish Rail are not that bad that they build train stations away from train tracks.

They built Phoenix Park railway station nowhere near the Phoenix Park though, didn't they?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

Ashtown has Superquinn, the supermarket with the the best cheese counter in Ireland.

There also is pharmacy, a liquor store, a hair dressers and not much else.

Castleknock has no supermarket, no cheese, no nothing really.

Liquor store in SQ anyway and you left out Bombay Pantry!? tut tut ;)

True. There is an Indian Takeaway which is a part of a chain of such restaurants in Ashtown. It closes at 10PM.

Lively place.

Is the cafe bar place on the corner near the station still open?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

True. There is an Indian Takeaway which is a part of a chain of such restaurants in Ashtown. It closes at 10PM.

Lively place.

Is the cafe bar place on the corner near the station still open?

There's two places down there that do food, one is Douglas and Kaldi

The other is an Asian place I think, facing out onto the canal. Never been though.

Advertisement