Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Friends pis$ing me off!

• 29-01-2012 3:59am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭

Guys I've had issues with some of my friends lately. I have given up drink because my iron in my blood is very high and its a good bit over acceptable limits, had blood tests taken, and besides giving blood, I've had to make diet changes and decided to cut out alcohol until I get back my iron in blood to normal levels.

Some of my so called friends give out to me for not drinking now and laugh at my excuse. I ended up nearly decking one of them but didn't because he was too cheeky and far too cocky for my liking and I don't like people that mock me if its health related. I have a few friends who understand my problem and they accept it and don't mind.

I was out tonight and the same sh*t happened again, some of the lads joking to my face because I drank Orange. It was hurtful to me. I quietly left the pub after I told them I was going to toilet and went home. I had to go home because my rage was bad I would have killed someone.

I want to look after my health and if they can't accept that, I think they aren't good friends.

I am a bit upset and annoyed now so any good advice you might offer will be appreciated.

Rant over.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Sounds like you need a drink mate.

teednab-el wrote: »
    Guys I've had issues with some of my friends lately. I have given up drink because my iron in my blood is very high and its a good bit over acceptable limits, had blood tests taken, and besides giving blood, I've had to make diet changes and decided to cut out alcohol until I get back my iron in blood to normal levels.

Some of my so called friends give out to me for not drinking now and laugh at my excuse. I ended up nearly decking one of them but didn't because he was too cheeky and far too cocky for my liking and I don't like people that mock me if its health related. I have a few friends who understand my problem and they accept it and don't mind.

I was out tonight and the same sh*t happened again, some of the lads joking to my face because I drank Orange. It was hurtful to me. I quietly left the pub after I told them I was going to toilet and went home. I had to go home because my rage was bad I would have killed someone.

I want to look after my health and if they can't accept that, I think they aren't good friends.

I am a bit upset and annoyed now so any good advice you might offer will be appreciated.

Rant over.

Buy a non-alcoholic beer. Nobody will ask you then....
    Or you could just tell them to grow up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Havermeyer

You won't get good advice in here. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Throw magnets at yourself as a party trick?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭Captain_Generic

I ended up nearly decking one of them but didn't because he was too cheeky and far too cocky for my liking and I don't like people that mock me if its health related.

So he was bigger than you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Mr. Rager

They sound like immature pricks tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

Scythe em down .. raze them all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

I ended up nearly decking one of them but didn't because he was too cheeky and far too cocky for my liking and I don't like people that mock me if its health related.

So he was bigger than you
    he wasn't but I can look after myself don't worry. I do kickboxing and krav maga in my spare time. I didn't want to do something I would regret in a public place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

Next time they tease you just break down in tears in public.

The awkwardness will shut them up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

Hi Le Bandeet;)

Lad, they're not friends, they're drinkin buddies. Nothing wrong with that, even drinkin buddies have their place, but they're not the type of people you'd go looking for when you need a shoulder to cry on. You may know them all your life, but I guarantee you deep down there's a barrier there somewhere.

Most people say they have loads of friends, but in reality, some people have none, others might have one or two. Everyone else you pal around with are just that, good pals. Again though, nothing wrong with that, but you have to know what place they fit into your life.

Regarding your health, fcuk what anyone else says. Look after number 1, nobody else will.

• Advertisement

Next time, preferably in the smoking area, you pull out a bag of heroin and shove it in their faces, call them pussies for freaking out. On the other hand, if they call your bluff and want to go and shoot up, maybe it's time for some new friends.

Just tell em you are bloody good at krav maga they'll be like "I don't even.." in which instance you strike and render them angry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

&
    I had to go home because my rage was bad I would have killed someone.

then ...
    he wasn't but I can look after myself don't worry. I do kickboxing and krav maga in my spare time. I didn't want to do something I would regret in a public place.

:pac:

Do kickboxing myself, part of the fun is trying to reason people out of fighting with full knowledge that if they pursue the violent route you can't be held responsible for what happens :D

I used to have a drinking buddy. Her birthday was about 3 days before the start of my final year exams, so I said I would come and not drink. She didn't talk to me for a week for "ruining her night" before it even happened.

I find if people have a problem with you not drinking its really just cause they have a problem with how much they drink. Sober people will make them feel bad, better drink up. I cut back on my drinking in the last year, did not go down well with my friends drinking buddies.

Don't mind them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭Leo Dowling

I had the same medical problem. Tell them you have "heavy metal poisoning" which is true, and sounds cool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Thalia_26

Rant over.

They laugh at your 'excuse' - what that you want to look after your health? That's not an excuse that's a very good reason.

You're right, if they can't accept that you want to look after your health, they aren't good friends. They sound like people who just want mates to drink with.

As for advice - stick with the friends who understand why you gave up the booze and continue what you are doing - your health is important and should be your priority and if others have a problem with that - well, if they were my mates, I wouldn't bother with them because they clearly have weird ideas about what's important.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

Just say nothing and drink non alcoholic beer as someone else said, nobody would even notice, drunk people are funny enough for a few hours, then leave, tell the people that don't take the piss, tell anyone who mocks you over it that something, something their ma's **** something something, don't let it bother you, it doesn't matter, sticks and stones and all that jazz.
    Side note, start smoking weed. :)

On the other hand , there's no cure for being a completely fucking insane

I keep remembering stories about this stupid girl! Started on anti-depressants a few years ago. She was one of the only people I told. They made me really sick at first so she came over with a bottle of vodka so we could go out.

Couple of days later the doctor told me not to drink for a month cause I started on a high dose, think I lasted 2 weeks before she made me come out cause it was student Christmas night. I remember us in the bathroom as she poured hidden drink into my glass saying how she was such a bad friend giving me drink but she wanted to have a good night.

Now I can't totally blame her cause I could have said no but I was a mess at the time and she was not one bit supportive. If I stopped being part of the drunk pair of the town that left her alone with the title.

Long rant cause that girl drove me nuts. Be strong and put your health first. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭micropig

OP Don't let what other people think get to you so much!
    Breathe In with anger, out with love
    Ignore them & chat to your friends, they'll soon get bored with commenting on what your drinking, they sound as if they are having a great night if they're greatest amusement is what your drinking

On the other hand , there's no cure for being a completely f[SIZE="2"]u[/SIZE]cking insane

True. You know what i mean though. I've learned that the best way to avoid a scene is to leave the scene and dissapear from trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

You drink your orange my friend, if some wise guy gets smart with you I'd suggest you just ignore the ignoramus. If he persists with his petty insults I'd sock him in the jaw..

I know that anger thing when you don't have the physicality to back it up. Some big lads about these days, must be all that reinforced cereal

.. Just bury the hatchet.

LH Pathe wrote: »
    I know that anger thing when you don't have the physicality to back it up. Some big lads about these days, must be all that reinforced cereal

.. Just bury the hatchet.

What do you mean?

True. You know what i mean though. I've learned that the best way to avoid a scene is to leave the scene and dissapear from trouble.

You're pretty much delaying the inevitable though. If your friends are worth explaining the situation to then there won't be a scene. Avoiding a scene won't avoid the fact that you're friends may be complete dickheads

What do you mean?

bury it. then wiggle it about n let it linger.. trust me, the cranberry juice will flow

You're pretty much delaying the inevitable though. If your friends are worth explaining the situation to then there won't be a scene. Avoiding a scene won't avoid the fact that you're friends may be complete dickheads

I think I finally can say that they are dickheads. Just some of them though. There are others that did understand my story in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭CageWager

I'd do this if I were you...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭BeefyS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

Fuck sake, when did AHs turn into a fucking psychological/personal support thread where people come to whinge and moan...

Never mind....

Any way OP, as Fr. Murphy said on my Fourth Year religious retreat:
    Fr, Murphy wrote:
    GO HARD OR GO HOME

NOTE:The above may be fictional for humorous purposes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

CageWager wrote: »
    I'd do this if I were you...

Order a cranberry juice?

.... :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭LaVail

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,822 ✭✭✭phill106

Just donate blood before you go out, that will lower your iron levels!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,161 ✭✭✭amacca

part of the fun is trying to reason people out of fighting with full knowledge that if they pursue the violent route you can't be held responsible for what happens :D

you like the reasoning bit?

not me......I like being non-responsive/mono-syllabic as I observe what weaknesses they have before I strike cat like in my swiftness and devastating like a shockwave or something (+other better similes I cant think of right now)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Rant over.

Raphael,Leonardo,Michaelangelo........ and and..Teednab-el ,... No way you're one of them aren't you

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/42/Tmnt_7.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

I can only assume you are quite young. Sounds like you have a few issues that need addressing. A few lads in a pub slagging you should not result in you flying into a rage and having to leave before you kill someone. Maybe work on your self confidence so it won't get to you as much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

I can only assume you are quite young. Sounds like you have a few issues that need addressing. A few lads in a pub slagging you should not result in you flying into a rage and having to leave before you kill someone. Maybe work on your self confidence so it won't get to you as much.

Absolutely. What struck me about your post wasn't the fact that you were getting a hard time but that you don't seem to be able to take a bit of a ribbing. Instead of expecting a bunch of lads to be serious about your condition you should give it back a bit and let it slide off. I have a friend who has the same condition and his nickname is now Tony Stark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

There's a good chance in 15-20 years, those piss-head friends will be in exactly the same routine except with bigger beer bellies on them, living for every weekend to go out and get trollied, complaining that life is shíte, Ireland is a dump, etc, etc, when the real problem is them. I'd be happy to be different to that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Break the wrist, walk away.

But seriously though, a bit of piss taking from your mates shouldn't make you that angry. Just slag them back and chill the fook out. It's normal for groups of lads to abuse each other over anything and everything, surely you've got some dirt to throw back at him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭xoxyx

Seriously good advice. *Checks if in AH or PI.* When did you get so smart Micky!! :p:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

Damn,Mickys advise is much better than mine. I was going to say slip him a few roofies then when he passes out put him naked in a dumpster out the back of the pub with a dildo stuck in him and a big sign in front of him for when he wakes up "See what drinking does to ya???".

But go with Mickys, it's much better (and possibly legaler).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭maiden

Did u get checked for Heamochromotosis????

Sindri wrote: »
    Fuck sake, when did AHs turn into a fucking psychological/personal support thread where people come to whinge and moan...

Never mind....

Any way OP, as Fr. Murphy said on my Fourth Year religious retreat:
    Fr, Murphy wrote:
    GO HARD OR GO HOME

[SIZE="1"]NOTE:The above may be fictional for humorous purposes.[/SIZE]

All I can say is that I'm annoyed about it. If you don't like what's up, you didn't have to post.

You are correct, I have poor self confidence in general but in fairness I don't think many people would put up with the sh*t that some of the lads are spouting out. I just had to control my temper by walking away. At least it was better than doing some damage to someone.

maiden wrote: »

Did u get checked for Heamochromotosis????

Yeah doctor did all the necessary checks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Tonto86

oh you had to leave incase you released your fists of fury! your a lad, lads take the piss outa their mates. Now stop being a bitchy little girl about it and man up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,404 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

I'd have to agree with the poster who said the main issue I'd be worried about is your anger. A group of young lads will take the piss out of each other. They may have been insensitive but I'm sure they didn't mean it unless they're complete knobs. Wanting to give them a good hiding is far worse IMO

Tonto86 wrote: »

oh you had to leave incase you released your fists of fury! your a lad, lads take the piss outa their mates. Now stop being a bitchy little girl about it and man up.

F*ck off.

Collie D wrote: »
    I'd have to agree with the poster who said the main issue I'd be worried about is your anger. A group of young lads will take the piss out of each other. They may have been insensitive but I'm sure they didn't mean it unless they're complete knobs. Wanting to give them a good hiding is far worse IMO

True but wanting to do and doing a thing are not the same. Having second thoughts does mean that I did consider my actions and therefore found it best just to walk away in the heat of the moment.

• Advertisement
Advertisement