Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Serious weight loss help needed!!!

Options
  • 28-01-2012 10:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hi all,

Was just wondering if anyone has any success stories from either Unislim or Weight Watchers? I have recently moved from an area where neither were available to an area which hosts both!

I have recently met a girl who has done both and she said she hated WW as it was basically about starving yourself so she moved to Unislim where she lost an amazing 4 stone.

But as you know everyone is different... Here's a bit of an insight into my life...

I am an active person and eat well but just can't seem to shift weight. I recently weighed in at approx 12 stone (which you may think is heavy) but if you told me to go run 5 miles I would have no problem... My problem is I don't know how to lose this weight!! I play football with my local club, train 2 times a week and we have one spinning class a week. I would be considered one of the fittest on the team and I love training.

My food on a daily basis would usually consist of a healthy smoothie for breakfast, an apple for a snack mid morning or evening, a turkey wrap for lunch with lettuce and peppers and usually one fillet of fish or chicken for dinner with veg or pasta. Obviously I break out every now and again or get a bit peckish for something sweeter but usually I am very good!

Would either WW or Unislim be beneficial? I am really stuck and unhappy!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Rougebladez

What is your BMI?

It doesnt sound like you need to lose weight to me but give me your BMI.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭bunny24

My BMI would be approx 26... Not too accurate!

I don't look a healthy weight but I feel healthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Rougebladez

It seems to me you dont need to lose weight.

A BMI of 26 is just above Normal weight (18.5-25).
    But it certainly wouldnt warrant the need to lose weight rapidly like you are suggesting.

It sounds like your eating habits are near perfect.
    If everyone else ate like you we wouldnt need a HSE.

Also a reason it might be high is because muscle is actually heavier than fat so by being muscular your bmi would be high.
    Most Pro rugby players bmi would be in the Obese category.

Are you sure you dont just have a girly hang up about your hips etc??

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭bunny24

Oh if only that were the case!! :)

No, I have been told by friends and family who are just being honest about the weight I have put on, which is what I need.

In the past I would always have been very skinny as I was training for different sports every night of the week, so even just looking back on photos there is literally a HUGE difference!!

I think I will attend a Unislim class on Tuesday & see how I go :)

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭TigerIsa

I swear by WW, every time I decide to start up again I'll always lose 2lbs a week until I've reached my goal, their plans are great it's not at all about starving yourself, they just change your eating habits eg portion sizes which were the problem for me. Never been to Unislim but definitely recommend WW.

Good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 kaireland

Weight Watchers is ran by Leaders who are NOT nutrition experts. I don't know about Unislim, but I assume it's also ran by people who lost weight and want to help other people lose weight. The problem is that because they're not nutrition experts, they might give you wrong information or inadequate advice. I tried Weight Watcher many years ago. I remember three particular anecdotes. The leader of one of the meetings said that for Halloween it was better to use your points for candy rather than peanuts as candies have less points due to peanuts' high fat content. From a nutritional point of view candy is pure refined sugar which alters blood sugar levels and is not good for you health, especially for weight loss- no nutritional value whatsoever!-, whilst peanuts-even if higher in points- are natural, contain fibre, an antioxidant called resveratrol, and lots of nutrients like vitamin E, B6, B9, B3, etc. In another meeting a teenage girl was told by the leader that she could drink as many Diet drinks as she wished as they counted as zero points. Diet drinks contain sodium, which is not beneficial for your health in excess, and are very high in phosphorus which is bad for your bone health. Finally, I remember a lady using all her points for alcohol. She's lost weight, but mostly using her points for alcoholic beverages. The leader said to her that it was fine as long as she didn't exceed her points allowance. This is common sense, how can this be healthy. I found this negligent! Weight Watchers only focuses in calories and portion control. If you manage to use all your points in healthy food it might not be that bad, although that doesn't mean it will be balanced either. I would recommend you see a qualified Nutritional Therapist or Dietitian instead! Hope this helps and good luck with whichever strategy you choose to achieve your goals!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

I lost 4 stone, got to my initial goal and kept it off for 5 years with WW, it worked for me. I am now counting calories (have 2 stone to lose) as I wanted a change (I put weight back on not cause I stopped going to WW but cause I went on a 4 month drinking / eating binge).

You need to find what works for you, everyone is different. Personally I think nothing will work if your mindset isn't right.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Pixie Girl

I've tried WW and did lose weight on it.... Weight watchers will work but the problem with WW is it doesn't educate anyone about proper real food...

Have a read of this article, sums it all up really....

http://www.pvnutritionaltherapy.com/why-weight-watchers-wont-make-you-healthy/

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭nowayjosie

Has anyone tried Pharma Nord 24/7 - I am going to buy it as I have checked it out on the web and it seems along with exercise and healthy diet it burns fat - unless any of you guys have heard any different I'll buy it tomorrow, so get back to me on this please:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Daisy M

Bunny would you consider slimming world? Its meals plans are pretty similar to what you are eating now so you would probably enjoy it.
    This is a basic summary from our sw thread written by toniTuddle its a great summary of the three different plans. The extra easy plan is the one most people are using.
    Green Plan
    -Allowed all the usual fruit, veg, pasta and rice
    -Can have 2 healthy a's (choose between milk/cheese)
    -Can have 2 healthy b's (choose between meat/poultry/fish/olive oil/seeds+nuts/cereal/bread)

Original(Red) Plan
    -Allowed the majority of fruit and veg (just gotta watch out for the starchy ones) and any lean meat
    -Can have 2 healthy a's (choose between milk/cheese)
    -Can have 2 healthy b's (choose between cereals/bread/olive oil/beans/peas/pasta/potato listed on page 33)

Extra Easy Plan
    -Allowed all the usual fruit, veg, any lean meat, pasta and rice
    -Can have 1 healthy a (milk/cheese)
    -Can have 1 healthy b (cereal/bread/olive oil/canned fruit)

Along with this you are allowed a number of what is called syns each day between 5 and 20 each is is approx 20 calories. You can use these for food that is not free. The strictest rule is you must have 1/3 super free with all meals, super free is most fresh/frozen fruit and veg.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

bunny24 wrote: »
    Oh if only that were the case!! :)

No, I have been told by friends and family who are just being honest about the weight I have put on, which is what I need.

In the past I would always have been very skinny as I was training for different sports every night of the week, so even just looking back on photos there is literally a HUGE difference!!

I think I will attend a Unislim class on Tuesday & see how I go :)
    Save yourself a life time of d-iets, go Paleo/primal and you will get there.

Added to that your diet is not as good as you have posted, at least not when it comes to consistency.

There are a world of 'options' here and lots of subjective evidence that one way works better than others but ultimately for me, I see people yo-yo all the time if they move away from a Paleo/primal approach. If you want a permanent approach choose a way to eat NOT a way to DIET

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

I lost 4 stone in just under 18 months with WW.

Put some of it back on (not because of WW failing but because I was binge drinking and eating takeaways every day for months), maybe put on 2 stone in total.

Ive lost just under 1stone of that in 10 days of the Dukan diet.

I think its whatever works for yourself, but both the options I said (WW & Dukan) are not the healthiest/balanced of diets nutritionally.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

add up your calories (portions especially of pasta are vital to know)
    add up the calories burned through exercise
    along with you BMR and maintence calorie figure and see if your net calories are going below 1200 this may be slowing down your weight loss, even eating most of your calories in the evening can slow some people down.

Your BMI is just on the border of healthy weight which is nothing to be alarmed about it great you want to get fitter but with your diet being fine and exercising a good amount maybe your body has adjusted and is maintaing your 12 stone, you could try changing up your routine, modest calorie cycling just to wake up your metabolism

everyone's body is different don't focus on what works for others, try them but ultimately you'll know what is best for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭nowayjosie

saa wrote: »
    add up your calories (portions especially of pasta are vital to know)
    add up the calories burned through exercise
    along with you BMR and maintence calorie figure and see if your net calories are going below 1200 this may be slowing down your weight loss, even eating most of your calories in the evening can slow some people down.

Your BMI is just on the border of healthy weight which is nothing to be alarmed about it great you want to get fitter but with your diet being fine and exercising a good amount maybe your body has adjusted and is maintaing your 12 stone, you could try changing up your routine, modest calorie cycling just to wake up your metabolism

everyone's body is different don't focus on what works for others, try them but ultimately you'll know what is best for you.

Hi would you know if Pharma Nord works for fat burning along with a healthy diet and exercise - I asked around but no one I know has ever taken it - can you give me any advice

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

No, diet and exercise will do it just fine to be honest

If these pills worked, everyone would be skinny

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

nowayjosie wrote: »
    Hi would you know if Pharma Nord works for fat burning along with a healthy diet and exercise - I asked around but no one I know has ever taken it - can you give me any advice
    What works is realising you can't out train a bad diet and key to nutrition is increased food quality and decreased junk food

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Frogdog

I've noticed a common theme in this thread, it goes along the lines of:

"I've done WW. I lost X stone in Y number of months/years. After that I then put on X+1 stone, but it wasn't because of not going to WW, it's because I'm a binge eater".

When will WW goers ever realise that it's WW itself that causes them to put the weight back on afterwards and never fix their binge eating habits? WW does three things:

It does not promote healthy eating.
    It does not promote education regarding food choices and nutrition.
    It does not work!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

Frogdog wrote: »

"I've done WW. I lost X stone in Y number of months/years. After that I then put on X+1 stone, but it wasn't because of not going to WW, it's because I'm a binge eater".

When will WW goers ever realise that it's WW itself that causes them to put the weight back on afterwards and never fix their binge eating habits? WW does three things:

It does not work!

Have you been in Weightwatchers?

I totally disagree with your comments not the case with the ww classes I attend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Same can be said about any diet e.g. low fat, low carb, paleo/primal, zone, etc

The problem is rigid dieting and lack of flexibility. Too many people are on a DIET so when they slip up and eat a chocolate bar, its off the diet and into the binge rather then moving on and resuming the diet.

A lot of people need to move out of this all or nothing approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭tiny_penguin

It does not work!

Have you seen the new program introduced last year - there is a huge emphasis on healthy eating and healthy foods. While the program does allow you to eat anything as long as you stay within your allocated points all of the literature highlights options that are 'filling and healthy' and shows how much better meals are when compiled mostly of these foods as opposed to processed junk.

The program allows for flexibility that if you have a bar of chocolate or a bag of crisps you have not ruined all your hard work and treats can be included easily into your diet within moderation. I would not be able to stick rigidly to a paleo/primal diet for instance, I know that myself and so I go with what works for me. I put on weight when I went travelling because I was eating whatever I wanted, deep fried high fat, lots of bread and pasta, it was not because weight watchers failed, it was because I wasn't using what I had learned to maintain my weight.

It is not for everyone and not everyone has success with it, but the same can be said for any 'diet' or eating plan. As was said I have heard the same from people doing all and any diets. The key to success as you have said is to change your habits for good and not just while you lose weight. And no matter what resources you find help with this then go for that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

It does not work!

As a former WW'er, I take issue with the above bolded comment.
    Yes, there are many things wrong with WW, but to say it doesnt work is ridiculous.There are plenty of people who have lost weight through WW and kept it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Daisy M

Max Power1 wrote: »
    As a former WW'er, I take issue with the above bolded comment.
    Yes, there are many things wrong with WW, but to say it doesnt work is ridiculous.There are plenty of people who have lost weight through WW and kept it off.

Dont bother rising to the bait comments like these are best ignored they are thrown in on purpose to get peoples backs up. I used to get annoyed now I couldnt care less what some random keyboard warriors opinion:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Daisy M wrote: »
    Dont bother rising to the bait comments like these are best ignored they are thrown in on purpose to get peoples backs up. I used to get annoyed now I couldnt care less what some random keyboard warriors opinion:)

If everyone had an attitude like this, I truly believe there would be less wars.

Advertisement