Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Urban chickens in Dublin

Options
  • 27-01-2012 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭

Hi

Does anybody know what the situation is in Dublin regards keeping chickens in an urban area?

Do I need to register with Department of Agriculture and how do I go about it?

Thanks. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

Yes, click on the link below to find out more detail and your nearest office to apply.
    Information Note for Applicants for Registration of a Poultry Holding

The Diseases of Animals Act 1966 (Registration of Poultry Premises) Order 2008 as amended by the Diseases of Animals Act 1966 (Registration of Poultry Premises) (Amendment) Order 2011, requires that anyone who keeps poultry be entered on the register of poultry premises. Such records will be of vital importance in containing and controlling an outbreak of disease should one occur in Ireland.

Registration Process

Most commercial producers and processors of poultry and eggs are already registered with the Department. If you are not already registered and if at present, or in the near future, you are likely to
    • Keep domestic poultry (even small numbers of chickens, hens, turkeys, ducks or geese for your own use),
    • Own or trade in domestic poultry or other captive birds (such as pigeons, sporting birds or exotic birds but not pet birds in domestic households),
    please complete the application form (PR1) and send it to your local District Veterinary Office (addresses under) as soon as possible.

Poultry kept for home Consumption or as a Hobby
    Keepers of backyard flocks must fill in form PR1. The declaration on the back must be signed. Upon receipt the District Veterinary Office will either approve or refuse registration. You will be informed of this by letter.
    http://www.agriculture.gov.ie/avian_influenza/informationonthepoultryindustry/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

I keep hens in Dublin, so do a lot of my neighbours, I never asked anyones permission. I even kept hens in Dublin city centre when I lived there, they could be seen from Bridgefoot street, I didn't ask anyones permission then and never any trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭merc3ps

I keep hens. I am not in the city, but in a village. I haven't done anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭muckyhands

Yes, click on the link below to find out more detail and your nearest office to apply.

http://www.agriculture.gov.ie/avian_influenza/informationonthepoultryindustry/

Hi

Sorry for taking so long but thanks very much for that. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Bird Flu? that's last year's fad, or was it the year before?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Yama

I know this post has been dead for a while but .........

Has anyone actually applied in Dublin City. Would like to know what response they got before considering applying.

Live in North Strand with 40m2 grass back garden.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭El Kabong!

Yama wrote: »
    grass back garden.

Thanks

Not for long if you get hens!

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Yama

Good point!

El Kabong! wrote: »
    Yama wrote: »
    grass back garden.

Thanks

Not for long if you get hens!

Advertisement