Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do people work unpaid overtime?

Options
  • 27-01-2012 7:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

I work for a very large professional firm where it is expected that you work beyond your contracted hours for no additional pay or time in lieu. We do not receive bonuses either.
    Its bugs the sh**e out of me but if i got up and left at the time we are supposed to leave I would be stared at like I had two heads.
    There are people in there working 60+ hours a week for no thanks. They are doing it to make someone else rich! Its madness!
    I'm glad to have a job but I want a life as well!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Erper

Hi m8...
    If u really want to get this clear talk to ur hr manager...
    He should explain to u how many hours and what are ur bemefits at ur work.
    Also read ur contract if u have it.
    Its ilegal to stay and no being paid...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Form a militant union and cripple the company until it no longer turns a profit and has to close down - that'll learn 'em.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭confusticated

Clogsworth wrote: »
    I work for a very large professional firm where it is expected that you work beyond your contracted hours for no additional pay or time in lieu. We do not receive bonuses either.
    Its bugs the sh**e out of me but if i got up and left at the time we are supposed to leave I would be stared at like I had two heads.
    There are people in there working 60+ hours a week for no thanks. They are doing it to make someone else rich! Its madness!

So are you, no? If all you'll get is funny looks for leaving on time, why not leave on time?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

I worked in a multi national and i did maybe an hour or two extra a week.

It meant that if i needed to head down to the bank or get off early for whatever reason there was no issue. It also means your boss thinks you take your job seriously and are not a clock watcher and will consider you for a promotion or whatever

20 hours unpaid overtime a week is a bit of a pisstake though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭flanders1979

Some people are just lickarses, They probably leave as soon as the boss goes home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

You stay there working for longer than you're contracted to because people stare at you if you leave.....is that it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭InkSlinger67

I do it the odd time. Not because it is expected or demanded but because I have an interest in getting work done on time or because I'm actually interested in what I'm doing.

Why not!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Erper wrote: »
    Hi m8...

Here; have some free letters:

iuykwnycoifyoeaeaecceooouuueeikufcxjnxkxjcashjfdsalu;HCDhhdshfdlhiwqetretretrdsacudhkjnc.nczx

If you run out again let me know and I'll send you some more.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

I'll let you know when I get out of work in a few hours.

• Advertisement

Sky King wrote: »
    I worked in a multi national and i did maybe an hour or two extra a week.

It meant that if i needed to head down to the bank or get off early for whatever reason there was no issue. It also means your boss thinks you take your job seriously and are not a clock watcher and will consider you for a promotion or whatever

20 hours unpaid overtime a week is a bit of a pisstake though.

They wont consider u for promotion, they will just use u all the time....
    I was doing something similar on my work until i gave up on it.
    I was working for everyone and everything on that job, noone told me thx...
    And than sone idiot who came to company for a month or 2 get promotion...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

Why not inform your boss that you are not obliged to work for free so you wont be doing it. Rather than working for nottin and then complaining about it.

TheZohan wrote: »
    Erper wrote: »
    Hi m8...

Here; have some free letters:

iuykwnycoifyoeaeaecceooouuueeikufcxjnxkxjcashjfdsalu;HCDhhdshfdlhiwqetretretrdsacudhkjnc.nczx

If you run out again let me know and I'll send you some more.

Haha
    Funny, funny guy

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭harmoniums

I usually do 50-55 hours a week, I'm salaried so no overtime.
    Why? because thats what it takes to get the chips out the door.

Also we're a single income family, I do what it takes to make sure I'm compensated as highly as possible.

Since starting this schedule my yearly take has increased about 60% and I've been promoted a few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Clogsworth

So are you, no? If all you'll get is funny looks for leaving on time, why not leave on time?

I did about ten hours extra this week. If we dont do it the work wont get done and the particular person will get a bad review.
    I dont want a promotion because i dont intend on working for these bloodsuckers long enough. I just want the organisation on my CV and a good reference from them.
    I just find it surprising how many people stay long term. The pressure is worse as the get promoted. The money is good but not good enough to be doing 60 hours!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

I can understand people putting in that little bit of extra effort if the company is going through a difficult spell or just starting up and you are confident that you will be rewarded when better times come.:)

But it sounds like you and your colleagues are just being exploited by greedy cnuts. Nothing unusual in that, actually; it's what capitalists do.:rolleyes:

One solution is to join a union, or at least insist on an employment contract.:cool:

Another would be to start attending night classes, learn Portuguese and study the boss's signature. It won't be long after that before you have several millions to your name and can invest it in Brazil.;);)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

In before someone bashes the dole!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Bigus

What sort of income are you on 10<15<20<30<40<50<60 ? a lot would depend on which bracket you're in .
    Basically lower paid workers should get paid for all overtime and the higher up the scale you move the more you'll do for "nothing" to justify an exhorbitant salary.

I gather you are not in the public sector :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,291 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Sadly, it seems to be the way it has gone now. Certainly in the construction industry, lower level management are working 7 til 8 or 9 in alot of cases. Madness in my opinion but it is now expected. Not for me that crap. The people who were giving their time like that in the boom got the same kick in the arse as everyone else when things went tits up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

Thank god im a gardener.

• Advertisement

harmoniums wrote: »
    I usually do 50-55 hours a week, I'm salaried so no overtime.
    Why? because thats what it takes to get the chips out the door.

Also we're a single income family, I do what it takes to make sure I'm compensated as highly as possible.

Since starting this schedule my yearly take has increased about 60% and I've been promoted a few times.

Thats good for you bur those kind of oportunities are very rare

• Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭hallelujajordan

Here's a crazy thought . . If you work really hard you might get better at your job and move on to a bigger and better one, or you might get promoted or your company might do really really well and you get to keep your job . . :D

Imagine that !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

Go to work at 8
    boards for an hour
    read emails for 10 mins
    40 minutes breakfast
    30 minutes dump
    2 hours pretend to be on phone to US
    2 hours lunch
    3 hours on boards.
    1 hour dinner
    3 more hours on boards
    go home
    Repeat
    ???
    Promotions all round for dedicated workers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

I did about ten hours extra this week. If we dont do it the work wont get done and the particular person will get a bad review.
    I dont want a promotion because i dont intend on working for these bloodsuckers long enough. I just want the organisation on my CV and a good reference from them.
    I just find it surprising how many people stay long term. The pressure is worse as the get promoted. The money is good but not good enough to be doing 60 hours!

Accountant?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

Or just do your job in the allotted time and go home.
    Unless there is a crisis its looked down on to need extra time to do your job

Bigus wrote: »
    What sort of income are you on 10<15<20<30<40<50<60 ? a lot would depend on which bracket you're in .
    Basically lower paid workers should get paid for all overtime and the higher up the scale you move the more you'll do for "nothing" to justify an exhorbitant salary.

I gather you are not in the public sector :D

No im not in public sector.
    Im earn 45k which is decent but not worth 60 hour weeks. Plus my journey is an hour and a half each way so thats even more leisure time gone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

You an accountant OP?

Accountant?

Well spotted!

mikemac1 wrote: »
    You an accountant OP?
    Yep...if only I could turn back time!

• Advertisement

subway wrote: »
    Or just do your job in the allotted time and go home.
    Unless there is a crisis its looked down on to need extra time to do your job

Its not possible to do the work in our contracted hours. The deadlines set are too tight. Im not lazy, I work hard but its the culture of the place and im not going to change it.

Advertisement