Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So who's doing the Single Lifts?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

60kg girls hitting 2xBW deads are complete novices?!

/hides own stats :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭gymfreak

daveyc21 wrote: »
    Sorry about that I reckon both of them will be around the high 50's low 60's. Junior and open. I think they may only do the squat and deadlift to start as we have only had them a few weeks. I reckon both will hit 80-110kg in the squat and 115-135kg in the deadlift. Obviously still complete novices coming from training in westwood to Ironside but a few months down the line these numbers should be significantly better.

Oh wow, those are some fantastic numbers! And the girls are very close to my weight class which is great motivation to me. I'd actually like to watch them compete..is it IDFPA or the GPC single lifts?

It's taken me a year to hit a PR of 80kg on the squat(only about 2weeks ago) so I'm really impressed with those numbers. Do you mind me asking if either come from a sporting background? In fact, you should just get them to start up a log in the logs section:D:P It'd add a bit of competition!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

gymfreak wrote: »
    Oh wow, those are some fantastic numbers! And the girls are very close to my weight class which is great motivation to me. I'd actually like to watch them compete..is it IDFPA or the GPC single lifts?

It's taken me a year to hit a PR of 80kg on the squat(only about 2weeks ago) so I'm really impressed with those numbers. Do you mind me asking if either come from a sporting background? In fact, you should just get them to start up a log in the logs section:D:P It'd add a bit of competition!

I reckon both of them may be training specifically for powerlifting too...just a thought...

I reckon both of them may be training specifically for powerlifting too...just a thought...

People ACTUALLY do that???? Seriously?:eek:

Still, ya gotta admit 50kg girls that are squatting and deadlifting that much is pretty damn impressive, especially if they haven't been strength training long?

People ACTUALLY do that???? Seriously?:eek:

Still, ya gotta admit 50kg girls that are squatting and deadlifting that much is pretty damn impressive, especially if they haven't been strength training long?

People who what to compete competitively yes...

• Advertisement

People who what to compete competitively yes...

*2nd lightbulb moment in less than 2mins**
    :pac::pac:

I would make a fantastic competitive eater though! Been training for months at it now!

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Da Za

Yes it's impressive but by the way you're sounding here, I could be wrong, you appear to sound like you think that it's insane a for "girl" to lift that. When it comes to lifting and strength anything is possible.

Sounds like you're limiting yourself with holding it in such high regard.

Da Za wrote: »
    Yes it's impressive but by the way you're sounding here, I could be wrong, you appear to sound like you think that it's insane a for "girl" to lift that. When it comes to lifting and strength anything is possible.

Sounds like you're limiting yourself with holding it in such high regard.

Nope, not insane. Just hard! Getting better at anything is hard! Getting PRs are hard!

All I was saying was that I don't know any girls with numbers like that. It's easier for guys to look around and read logs and find impressive stats or role models. But, I actually havent found any female role models that I'd look up to tbh. I had followed Jen Commas Keck for a while..but then after all her spiels...and hey look at me..and then realising that her numbers werent impressive at all...it was a bit of a let down! So I dont really have any standards to look up to...just taking it as it comes :)

I'd be interested to know what the girls records are on the ironside board at the minute and how they progress through the year though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭G86

100kg squat??

Complete novices you say??

Wtf?!
    //hangs head...

Nope, not insane. Just hard! Getting better at anything is hard! Getting PRs are hard!

All I was saying was that I don't know any girls with numbers like that. It's easier for guys to look around and read logs and find impressive stats or role models. But, I actually havent found any female role models that I'd look up to tbh. I had followed Jen Commas Keck for a while..but then after all her spiels...and hey look at me..and then realising that her numbers werent impressive at all...it was a bit of a let down! So I dont really have any standards to look up to...just taking it as it comes :)

I'd be interested to know what the girls records are on the ironside board at the minute and how they progress through the year though!

that blonde chick from worlds...grr...name escapes me...or that lidia one L is in love with...or take up bjj and be the next kyra gracie...

• Advertisement

Susanna....

There's plenty of top women powerlifters......check out powerliftingwatch.com, theres always plenty of footage going up

that blonde chick from worlds...grr...name escapes me...or that lidia one L is in love with...or take up bjj and be the next kyra gracie...

Yeh...you see, I meant chicks who AREN'T taking anything! certainly no point in me (personally) admiring anyone who does.

And yup, lots of hot WL chicks...but obviously I dont understand their training to follow their logs......waaaaaait...maybe thays it!!!!

I should train for WL instead..:P :P that might solve the problem of role models!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Da Za wrote: »

I think you're missing her point...

Girls tend to be really weak, or REALLY strong. There never seems to be people competing in the middle.

It wasn't in reference to her........I just posted it for the craic hedley

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭token

Supposedly who logs here squats 125kg and deadlifts 150kg @ 60-63kg. I hate her.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭daveyc21

Just to give an idea one of the girls in Ironside who is around the 60kg mark did 140kg squat x 3. She is a weightlifter though. Another one of the girls she competes against is somewhere similar. I suppose that would be considered a relatively high level nationally.

What do yis reckon the turnouts will be like? How many lifters would you generally expect at a comp? Would it be fair to assume, with GPC and IDFPA being on the same day, a lot of people will opt for GPC?

/newb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭G86

Just to give an idea one of the girls in Ironside who is around the 60kg mark did 140kg squat x 3. She is a weightlifter though. Another one of the girls she competes against is somewhere similar. I suppose that would be considered a relatively high level nationally.
    I'm sure she's a lovely person too...

...but I kinda hate her now :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

What do yis reckon the turnouts will be like? How many lifters would you generally expect at a comp? Would it be fair to assume, with GPC and IDFPA being on the same day, a lot of people will opt for GPC?

/newb

People have different reasons to enter different competitions. Just because a load of folks on here took a dim view to the IDFPA's decisions doesn't mean everyone in the country will.

There is still support for a tested fed with walked out squats. I know more lifters who are interested would opt for/ are going to the IDFPA.

• Advertisement

d'Oracle wrote: »
    People have different reasons to enter different competitions. Just because a load of folks on here took a dim view to the IDFPA's decisions doesn't mean everyone in the country will.

There is still support for a tested fed with walked out squats. I know more lifters who are interested would opt for/ are going to the IDFPA.

So my hopes that all but two other people in my weight class would go to Limerick for the day so I could place top 3 are pretty much dashed then? :(:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

So my hopes that all but two other people in my weight class would go to Limerick for the day so I could place top 3 are pretty much dashed then? :(:pac:

Yeah, maybe.
    It could happen either way.

There are people with top 3 results in some feds who wouldn't touch the results of the same class in another fed. Its just what happens when you have loads of feds.

Just get stuck in and have a good time, sure.

Ah I'm kidding. I'm weak as a kitten. Only really competing for the experience/fun of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭dartstothesea

Same, I'm going to have to try to not worry about trying to lift anything decent at this and just have as nice a time as possible.

I'll have to head up to Gorey on the friday evening before it to be there on time, it seems. Lemme know if any Raw Cru or Strength Forum heads are socializin'.

Sorry for highjacking the thread lads:o But I'm actually REALLY curious about girls and training!!

Last few questions...I swear!!
    I reckon both of them will be around the high 50's low 60's. Junior and open. I think they may only do the squat and deadlift to start as we have only had them a few weeks. I reckon both will hit 80-110kg in the squat and 115-135kg in the deadlift. Obviously still complete novices coming from training in westwood to Ironside but a few months down the line these numbers should be significantly better.

Dave I just want to clarify, the two novices that you said were competing at the weekend..they are a separate entitity to the WLing girls you mention below???
    Is that the girl that plays on the Irish Womens' rugby team and is on the Irish WLing squad? I actually saw her train in ECB last summer and thought she was pure savage!

Thanks!!! and sorry for all the questions! I just have a streak of curiousity!

When he says novice, I assume he means novice to a pl comp!

Freak, I think that's the same girl alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Wood

JayRoc wrote: »
    That's spooky, I was struck down by the same horrible ****ing dose last Saturday and all. Only feeling right today and training for the IDFPA's has been a bit ****ed as a result.

Did you give me some sort of STI-over-internet?

Are you still heading down?

Any chance of hitching a ride with you, could split petrol and coffee costs with you? Bus leaves Dublin at 5:20am saturday morning, so including taxi into town it'll cost me about 35 quid to go on my own

From the IDFPA forum there seems to be a big interest in the comp this year

• Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭COH

Wood wrote: »
    head?

Any chance of a ride, could split you? it'll cost 35 quid

Words deleted to reveal true message

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭JayRoc

Wood wrote: »
    Are you still heading down?

Any chance of hitching a ride with you, could split petrol and coffee costs with you? Bus leaves Dublin at 5:20am saturday morning, so including taxi into town it'll cost me about 35 quid to go on my own

Advertisement