Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USC Query

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Chessala

Heya guys,

I just got my P60 at work and it states that I paid 698€ in USC. Now I "only" earned 15651€ last year as I only started working in May, no previous employment.

According to the USC calc I would be owed around 275€ (only supposed to pay 425€ USC with that yearly income)USC refund, is that correct?

Just a bit confused here...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

well USC is taxed on a weekly, fortnightly or monthly basis depending how you are paid and this is prob between diffferent bands if you got paid more in one week for overtime say than the annual overall figures so you may be entitled to a refund,

People think payroll is perfect- it is rarely right imo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Whiplashy

If someone tells you incorrect information over the phone ask for them to send it to you in writing quoting the relevant legislation which supports their treatment which you are entitled to under the customer charter. Make sure you get the name and district of the person you are talking to and ask for the inspectors name to address it to referencing the person handling the claim.

Excellent advice! I'll certainly be doing it from now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Chessala

I'm actually a bit confused by what rate the USC is decided? I mean, I know when which percentage starts but....I got my first pay ever in June 2011, how is it decided how much I have to pay? Do they go by the "base" wage for the year and set it to, lets say, 7% because I'll earn a base of 22k a year?

I'm being paid monthly by the way.

Would it work if I put my earnings tat I had in the year in the calculator and set it to what I earned that year and then take the value of the USC I should have paid or do I have to go through every month?

Advertisement