Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An open letter from Boards.ie to Minister Sean Sherlock

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

189960.JPG

Unfortunately I typo'd my email address! D'oH (oops, that's a copyright infringement right there!!!) :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭infowars.com

if this law is passed it will meen the end of the internet and who knows maybe give them the chance to put a tax on the net,

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Emailed him too:
    Minister Sherlock,

I'm not going to write a long-winded email, as you know of and have heard all the arguments. All I will say is that following this through is not only political suicide, but also will resign your career and what reputation you have left to the dust-bin of history.

If you allow yourself to pass this, you will go down as a truly pathetic excuse for a human being, and the absolute epitome of an Irish politician. I urge you to grow a backbone, and shelve this piece of dictatorial nonsense.

Yours,

My real name Jimmy Bottlehead

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Seán Sherlock discusses online copyright legislation in Dáil Éireann.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Condatis

dusterd wrote: »
    Would this also mean if I copied text from a website and pasted it on here that it would be considered an infringement and therefore shut down this site?

Not if you properly attribute what you copy to the original source.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Condatis wrote: »
    Not if you properly attribute what you copy to the original source.

If they copied and pasted the whole thing it'd still be infringement as far as I know. Extracts only are allowed I believe.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

tumblr_lybwl9VEp31qzigy0o1_500.jpg

Great work DeV, as always, <3 boards.ie and the attitude.

More funny pics from the original TUMBLR here No $h|T Sherlock

God damn it wont let me add the URL! The irony here is rich. Anyway, URL is http://nosh itseansherlocktd.tumblr.com/ with no space, obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,894 ✭✭✭✭Stark

"Not found
    We couldn't find the page you were looking for.

Feel free to contact support if there's anything
    we can help you find.
    "

Foiled by boards.ie's censorship filter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Talentcoop

Did the Irish people vote to end democracy and freedom in the last election ?

Seems daily the current Government believe that's the mandate they were given.

Sherlock is just another numbskull interfering in something he clearly knows nothing about - the short timescale and lack of consultation (which might educate him) as shameful as much of the other measures taken by the current FG/Lab dictatorship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Spoonman75

Signed. Thanks for keeping this in the public eye Boards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭DoesNotCompute

signed.

wheres the link to singe guys?

wheres the link to singe guys?

http://stopsopaireland.com/

one more step to end freedom of speech,thats all this is,wellcome to the new world order

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

I just want to know what happens when all the 'thanks' from users won't fit on one page.

Oh and as a lawyer I think this is appalling & undemocratic legislation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭deise go deo

Déanta

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭ianhobo

Watching that video is scary, he claims that it will be signed, irregardless, as such, he didn't even prepare a speech when asked where his speech was.
    He says "The Internet" like someone who has never used "The Internet", and keeps repeating how "ISP's and Copyright holders must come together and talk" while making repeated circular motions with his hands. What a clown
    hellboy99 wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

The snivveling weasel danced around the topic for 15 minutes and then says that the SI is imminent anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Minowaman

hellboy99 wrote: »

Wow. All 7 of our great TD's debating an issue that is being talked about all over the world. Could of sworn we had a few more of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Fair play on putting the notice up like that with both sides of the argument so that we can have a reasoned discussion and not just one side. That would be totally unfair to all users:mad:

Fixed your post for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭frankled

Signed and sent. :)

ianhobo wrote: »
    Watching that video is scary, he claims that it will be signed, irregardless, as such, he didn't even prepare a speech when asked where his speech was.
    He says "The Internet" like someone who has never used "The Internet", and keeps repeating how "ISP's and Copyright holders must come together and talk" while making repeated circular motions with his hands. What a clown
    He hasn't a clue, is it any wonder we are where we are when we have people like this running the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Fixed your post for you.

Right, you're pretty new to this forum but we don't allow posts like the above. Also the site's owners taking a position is not the forum taking a position, people can support this legislation all they want on here, no one is going to stop them.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Absolutely Nesf. Forum rules still apply. This is a *discussion*... dissent is welcome and healthy. Either you can critique my letter or I guess start a second thread putting forward the opposing side. There doesn't seem to BE an opposing side though.

We arent saying "leave pirates alone" we're saying there is a chilling effect on user generated content when you hold the platform responsible for the actions of a small number of users, regardless of how diligent the platform is.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Spiritofthekop

Poor Sean Sherlock.

Obviously the weird kid who nobody spoke to in school... now probably loves this attention he is getting.

Sad little man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Shakti

His site is down for maintenance??????
    says it all really

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Seems Mr Sherlock dislikes people contacting him through his website

http://www.seansherlock.ie/index.php
    Site is currently down for maintenance.

and i was just about to send him a mail, does anyone have any e-mail addresses for him since he's going to try ignore us all I think its only fair we stop using his website and mail him directly,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭token56

Signed, but this is seriously worrying. The level of debate being had by the people in power is completely horrendous. Only Catherine Murphy seemed to have a clue about what this meant and actually outlined the important issues. Seriously scary stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 1rishguy

Signed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Has Sherlock been questioned about the dubious legality of his own website then?

EdIt - Down for maintenance hmmm

Advertisement