Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The YooToob thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Savage trip!
    How old are you, man? If you don't mind me asking.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

CianRyan wrote: »
    Savage trip!
    How old are you, man? If you don't mind me asking.

That's a very personal question :p

I'm 20. In the summer of 2011 me and my friend spent our life savings on this trip and it was the best 5 weeks and 4000miles I ever spent my money on!

Mental, man. I wish I had the saving power and mates to do that with now, never mind at 18! Fair play, man. It looks like a blast.

Mental, man. I wish I had the saving power and mates to do that with now, never mind at 18! Fair play, man. It looks like a blast.

19 at the time (21 this year). It was really fantastic. The trip was actually inspired by the top gear America trip when they bought the cars in Miami.

You should start saving:D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

You've plenty of time! ;)

We drove from Vegas south to Kingman, AZ - one of the old Route 66 towns, then took (as much as we could) of 66 right out to where it ends in Santa Monica then the PCH from SM right up to San Fran stopping off in Santa Barbara and Monterey for the night en route.

EPIC road trip! :)

• Advertisement

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    You've plenty of time! ;)

We drove from Vegas south to Kingman, AZ - one of the old Route 66 towns, then took (as much as we could) of 66 right out to where it ends in Santa Monica then the PCH from SM right up to San Fran stopping off in Santa Barbara and Monterey for the night en route.

EPIC road trip! :)

I remember you had a thread on here about the route 66 a while back! Thats what I plan to do next time I've saved up enough :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Seeing this sort of stuff makes me realise I have a car buying addiction hence why I'm always broke.... I've always wanted to do something like that though :D

Ded_Zebra wrote: »
    I remember you had a thread on here about the route 66 a while back! Thats what I plan to do next time I've saved up enough :D

A lot of 66 is gone now. As you know it was once the main route from Chicago to LA but was replaced by the I-40 in the 70's. Since then it has deteriorated as has a lot of the towns along with it and in some cases the road just ends. You can be traveling along and literally run out of road. You then have to double back on to the freeway and try to rejoin further on.

In the last decade or so there has been somewhat of a revival and *some* states have repaved but others, e.g. California don't have the money to. Sat Nav is of no use doing 66, you need maps and a good navigator beside you. Well worth the trip though but it can be annoying as you can't just get on it and drive.

A lot of 66 is gone now. As you know it was once the main route from Chicago to LA but was replaced by the I-40 in the 70's. Since then it has deteriorated as has a lot of the towns along with it and in some cases the road just ends. You can be traveling along and literally run out of road. You then have to double back on to the freeway and try to rejoin further on.

In the last decade or so there has been somewhat of a revival and *some* states have repaved but others, e.g. California don't have the money to. Sat Nav is of no use doing 66, you need maps and a good navigator beside you. Well worth the trip though but it can be annoying as you can't just get on it and drive.

Yeah I'm a bit worried about it disappearing before I get the chance:(
    We did manage to do about 80miles on the 66 in Arizona so at least I can say I've been on it!
    I think my plan would be to buy a car in Chicago and drive as much of the 66 as possible, finish up in LA and then do the coast up to San Fran again then flog off the car:cool:

TBH I would do it the other way around, i.e. fly to San Fran, drive south to LA then east on 66. Couple of reasons why: PCH is better driven north to south as you can just pull in anywhere you want to stop to take pics, etc as opposed to having to cross the road. Sounds trivial but when traveling north and you see a spot you would like to stop there is often traffic behind you and coming south too so you tend to just plough on. Also if you finish up in Chicago you will get a direct flight home as opposed to going SF > LA / AT > DUB. You will most definitely thank yourself for this once you get home. ;)

• Advertisement

TBH I would do it the other way around, i.e. fly to San Fran, drive south to LA then east on 66. Couple of reasons why: PCH is better driven north to south as you can just pull in anywhere you want to stop to take pics, etc as opposed to having to cross the road. Sounds trivial but when traveling north and you see a spot you would like to stop there is often traffic behind you and coming south too so you tend to just plough on. Also if you finish up in Chicago you will get a direct flight home as opposed to going SF > LA / AT > DUB. You will most definitely thank yourself for this once you get home. ;)

You have a point alright. There are a few drawbacks though, California do not issue temp tags so I would have to pay to register the car in my home state (which I can't do for obvious reasons) I also Know people who live in San Fran thats why I would like spend time there at the end. That is a good point about the PCH though. The only thing about heading south though is that yoou are on the sea side of the road so there is less room for error. :p
    ON the other hand it is hard to sell a 49 state car in Cal as you have to get it to pass a smog test. Also the people in cal don't really want ****ty old us cars with big V8's as much as people in other states do. A cal car is also easy to sell in the other 49 states as there is no rust etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭homer90

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Chriscl1

170MPH in a S2000 much feel ****ing mental!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

This video plagued almost every vid I watched....

Disappointed!

That's better :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Bigus

Ok some of these you've seen before but some you haven't , good supercar fail compilation .

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

• Registered Users Posts: 9,587 ✭✭✭tossy

Shocking the amount of people breaking the rules of the road and not stopping at the scene of an accident.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭Dartz

Tubdubber no longer lets me replace the audio on videos with the Benny Hill theme...

That E46 vid was just brilliant. Testing the electrics, watching the metal parts get welded, that first start of the engine. Watching thousands of parts coming together to make one machine. To think, we witnessed someones car being assembled. Someone out there may have this car, not knowing that there is a vid on how it was assembled. The VIN was shown IIRC ;) unless it was a rejected car

Back to vids, it was either this or bummerdale :pac:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I love Big Muscle, I'm not even that into muscle cars but he's a great presenter.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I love Big Muscle, I'm not even that into muscle cars but he's a great presenter.

Yeah it's a great one, well worth subscribing if that's your thing.

Just the noise out of it...would blow me away if I had a go...not to mention the 475 horses pulling you along too :eek:

Amazing how most of the cars got off with little damage bar the Porsche at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Japanese hoons.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Did somebody say big engine?

perhaps a tad impractical for the daily commute :D

Advertisement