Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The YooToob thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

Doesn't look realistic at all, but not a bad effort I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,371 ✭✭✭Dartz

DOE..... so rediculous it's almost funny.

Drive a basic saloon perfectly safely and it'll randomly spin out and splatter a group of kids. Either that, or check your rear brakes in case they lock on... it's definitely not a speeding car.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Hahaha, the lot of them. Bloody hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

It worries me that somebody came up with that as an idea and somebody else approved it

• Advertisement

Dartz wrote: »

Drive a basic saloon perfectly safely and it'll randomly spin out and splatter a group of kids. Either that, or check your rear brakes in case they lock on... it's definitely not a speeding car.

It's a road safety awareness ad, not a documentary. The point -- illustrated clearly in the video -- is that the car was not being driven "perfectly safely" and the clear implication was that the driver was speeding. We know that because the ad is scripted accordingly.

They didn't film a random car that happened to be passing and then pretended that it was speeding. In other words it's a one-minute awareness-raising effort, not a description of an event that is to be taken literally.

CianRyan wrote: »
    Hahaha, the lot of them. Bloody hell.

The intention, as I understand it, is to show figuratively that a "classroom of our children" have been killed on the roads since the year 2000. I don't know when the video was made, but as far as I can see the idea is to engage our emotions by showing what that would be like if it happened all at once. Again, it's not meant to be absolutely literal, though I guess it's to be expected that some people will view it that way.

All the best ads, whether they are selling deodorant or promoting road safety, try to engage our emotions in a powerful way.

Why would anyone want to look at these ads in a purely literal sense?

Unfortunately, when the emotion it engages is laughter, the ad has very much failed.

Or, te Pub Loo one... "What if he'd gotten glass in his eye?". The ad seemed more dangerous to me than the consequence even if it was probably controlled, or CGI.

Or, te Pub Loo one... "What if he'd gotten glass in his eye?". The ad seemed more dangerous to me than the consequence even if it was probably controlled, or CGI.

I doubt any ad reaches 100% of its target audience, and some people will put their own (unique?) interpretations on what they see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭coolisin

I just think the "metaphorical" road safety adverts don't work.
    Poor Cgi or over the top fake just disengage the audience and the advert is no longer shocking to work! These ad's always have a car rolling through a hedge.

Back on the ad though love the way all the adults get out of the way!

also in other news:
    http://www.newstalk.ie/Man-charged-after-driving-girlfriends-car-onto-track-during-VW-Beetle-race

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

lol.....sorry but I did laugh when the car came over the hedge.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

My God that's awful. I much prefer the G'N'R version.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭dougie-lampkin

That tagline "shame on you" is just downright offensive. I haven't killed a classroom of children, why should I be ashamed? Shame on you, DOE, for having such a cheap ad.

The faked video with the two lads in Chile posted above has better CGI.

That tagline "shame on you" is just downright offensive. I haven't killed a classroom of children, why should I be ashamed? Shame on you, DOE, for having such a cheap ad.

There's that literal thing again. The ad doesn't say dougie-lampkin killed a classroom of children, it says speeding has killed a classroom of children since the year 2000. The shame is on the speeding motorists involved in the fatal collisions, and presumably the DoE's hope is that the fully justified shaming might have an effect on those motorists who continue to speed but who haven't killed any children (yet).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    There's that literal thing again. The ad doesn't say dougie-lampkin killed a classroom of children, it says speeding has killed a classroom of children since the year 2000. The shame is on the speeding motorists involved in the fatal collisions, and presumably the DoE's hope is that the fully justified shaming might have an effect on those motorists who continue to speed but who haven't killed any children (yet).

I wonder how they make that assertion.
    Have they looked at every accident where a child was killed and analysed if speed was a factor.
    Since the forward motion of a car is it's speed, one can say that speed is a factor in ALL accidents.
    How is "speed was a factor" ascertained?
    Would the car have to break the posted limit or would a car that traveled within the limit but maybe inappropriately so also be counted?
    What where the exact circumstances of each accident?
    Did they just count the number of kids that got killed on the road, regardless of the circumstances and then said "X amount of kids got killed due to speed!"?
    If that is the case it's just pointless hysteria along the lines of Babies Will Die!
    They might as well do an ad that says:

Have you ever gotten into a car? Did you know that children get killed on the road?
    That means that you are a potential baby murderer!
    How dare you drive a car, you should feel guilty about it!

You will now argue that the above sentence is hyperbole.
    Yes. And so is the ad. So you cannot argue that the hyperbole in the ad is OK and mine isn't, simply because one suits your single minded, unblinking anti-car agenda and mine doesn't.
    I'm simply using the same argument to illustrate how silly those ads are.
    But then you are an extremist and have proven time and time again that you will simply reel off your propaganda without listening to anyone's argument, so I will simply reel off my reply without listening to yours.
    So you have what you want, you shouting down at people and not paying a blind bit of notice to them. You know it achieves the opposite, i.e. people in general will dismiss your argument, get entrenched against you and people who would otherwise be won over by reasoned argument, also turning against you.
    You are doing more damage against road safety than any nutter speeding at 200 km/h through Eastern European cities.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Moar of the yootoobs, less of the serious

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

• Registered Users Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Pique

Those big ol' police cruisers can fairly shift. I was expecting some hairyness on those high speed motorway bends.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

It is my mission in life now to emulate these people..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

I really hope the car is taken off this idiot. I've nothing against guys having a laugh in a quite corner of a car park but to do this sheet in the middle of a town in the middle of the day is just plain ****ing stupid. It also gives real rally fans a bad name for fool acting.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

Ha! They smoked the Westboro Baptist Church! Now I know why Yanks don't like Daysuls :p

I bet thats nothin' on your Cortina :pac:

Why are so many Twin-Cams owned by such utter ****ing twats?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,874 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

It is my mission in life to avoid contact with morons who think that that video is something to be emulated.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

It's your mission in life to emulate absolute assholes who pollute people with cancerous diesel fumes and smoke :confused:

Quazzie wrote: »
    It is my mission in life to avoid contact with morons who think that that video is something to be emulated.
    It's your mission in life to emulate absolute assholes who pollute people with cancerous diesel fumes and smoke :confused:

For feck's sake, why is everyone so fooking serious on this Board?

Can't you take a joke? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Bigus

Jesus. wrote: »
    For feck's sake, why is everyone so fooking serious on this Board?

Can't you take a joke? :(

He's not joking

Bigus wrote: »
    He's not joking

And so what if he's not? Some clampits could do with a good smokin' :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Jesus. wrote: »
    And so what if he's not? Some clampits could do with a good smokin' :)

I'm pretty certain there's a degree of assault in smoking people intentionally like that and quite frankly find it difficult to understand how a cyclist deserves what's displayed there.

If this was done to me, the person who did it's head would prohibit any further smoke emitting from the exhaust. :)

Advertisement