Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'The Field' - Irish relationship to land.

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

It is always interesting to see landlords who were sympathetic to the tenants. I wonder were there many?
    As we have been discussing Limerick, there were several good landlords in that county - the O’Briens of Dromoland, Dunravens of Adare, Monsells of Tervoe, de Veres of Curragh Chase, Spring-Rices of Mount Trenchard, and Perys of Dromore are the best known.
    Reverend William Sewell wrote in the Quarterly Review of 1840 that "An Irish gentleman, well born, well educated, and with his natural tendencies modified by English associations, is perhaps one of the most perfect specimen of civilised nature" and based this conclusion on his dealings with the Limerick gentry, especially Monsell and Adare.
    Good article on Monsell, with references and details on the others here http://limerickcity.ie/media/Media,4088,en.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

The O'Briens of Dromoland really knew how to share out clan lands :rolleyes:

http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclare/places/dromoland_castle.htm

Where is Bannisidhe when you need her ?

CDfm wrote: »
    OK, I agree with you on this, but did the British like the Irish ?

The British people or the British political system?
    I would view it more of an issue between classes as many people in England suffered under Westminister over the past few hundred years and Scotland had terrible famines too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

The British people or the British political system?

Both.

Did the welfare of the Irish matter to the and how did they view the Irish as a people.
    I would view it more of an issue between classes as many people in England suffered under Westminister over the past few hundred years and Scotland had terrible famines too.

But how comparable is it.

I am often struck by Wellingtons phrase the "proprietors of the country" and how close it is to Marx as an economist.

Advertisement