Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starbucks

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Karmella

SpaceTime wrote: »
    That's why a Starbucks one is several shots.

If you want a good coffee in one of those chains order a flat white.

Can I go off on a tangent here and ask what a flat white actually is? (Or supposed to be) I've ordered one in Costa from time to time and they are nice, but just wondering what the difference is between that and a cappuccino say.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 hightide

Starbucks rely on a Bloated image, You can find really good coffee in many other outlets, Cork is full of tradition , Starbucks is by no means any measure of a city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Karmella wrote: »
    Can I go off on a tangent here and ask what a flat white actually is? (Or supposed to be) I've ordered one in Costa from time to time and they are nice, but just wondering what the difference is between that and a cappuccino say.

Just a properly made strong cappuccino really.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭calnand

A proper flat white is a single shot with textured milk with microfoam (no large foam used in cappuccinos) is poured in on top of the shot. It's a more smooth and velvety texture. And yes I am a coffee snob.

That's basically a cappuccino.

What Starbucks and others call a cappuccino is more like a screwed up crossover between a cafe latte and a milkshake!

The LEGALLY recognised definition of an Italian cappuccino:

125ml milk, no warmer than 3-5C, containing a minimum of 3.2% protein and 3.5% fat

25ml shot of hot espresso coffee

Directions

Add coffee to a 150-160ml capacity ceramic cup

Froth milk with steam to a temperature of 55C, and add to cup

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭moyners

That's basically a cappuccino.

What Starbucks and others call a cappuccino is more like a screwed up crossover between a cafe latte and a milkshake!

The LEGALLY recognised definition of an Italian cappuccino:

125ml milk, no warmer than 3-5C, containing a minimum of 3.2% protein and 3.5% fat

25ml shot of hot espresso coffee

Directions

Add coffee to a 150-160ml capacity ceramic cup

Froth milk with steam to a temperature of 55C, and add to cup

A proper flat white as made in Australia and New Zealand, the milk isn't frothed like a cappucino. The wand is held deeper in the milk and its only 'stretched'. It's hard to explain without seeing it but there is a big difference in texture. They're very very rarely made right over here though and are usually not far off a cappucino. One of the biggest things I miss about New Zealand is the proper flat whites.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Douglas Eegit

coffee_types.png?w=620

This is good way at differentiating the coffee types.

You've got to be extremely careful in France when using foreign terminology for coffee!

Cappuccino there often means a coffee topped with spray on whipped cream and topped with sprinkles!

Café crème - is closer to a cappuccino or perhaps a flat white.

That being said, I don't rate French coffee at all. They've nice cafes and a growing "coffee culture" as opposed to a "cafe culture" but the quality of coffee there is historically surprisingly bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Someone said on Starbucks FB page that they saw work going on in Douglas Village Shopping Centre for a Starbucks.....can anyone here from the area confirm?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,436 ✭✭✭TheChizler

ongarboy wrote: »
    Someone said on Starbucks FB page that they saw work going on in Douglas Village Shopping Centre for a Starbucks.....can anyone here from the area confirm?
    I'm sure I'd have heard about that, nothing escapes the girlfriend's father down in Driscoll's. I'll keep an ear out! There's work going on for TK Maxx, maybe that was it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Just took a walk over and there's certainly some work going on but no signage to indicate its for a Starbucks.

The unit next to Leonard's (so, second on the left entering from the front village) has a notice up saying construction work in progress and from the looks of it it's going up as far as the corner diagonally opposite M&S where there used to be a coffee stand as that's closed off with plastic sheeting and theres working going on behind. It does sound consistent with what I've heard previously about a Starbucks for that area but if it's taking in two units by Leonard's and that corner piece then it looks like it'd be huge - especially since I think those units have two floors.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭xabi

You've got to be extremely careful in France when using foreign terminology for coffee!

Cappuccino there often means a coffee topped with spray on whipped cream and topped with sprinkles!

Café crème - is closer to a cappuccino or perhaps a flat white.

That being said, I don't rate French coffee at all. They've nice cafes and a growing "coffee culture" as opposed to a "cafe culture" but the quality of coffee there is historically surprisingly bad.

Speaking of bad coffee, this is a Starbucks thread after all ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,813 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

ongarboy wrote: »

You could check with the planning department to see if they've lodged an application......... oh wait, Starbucks don't do planning permission!

xabi wrote: »
    Speaking of bad coffee, this is a Starbucks thread after all ;)

Le jus de chaussette (sock juice) is the normal terminology.

JohnK wrote: »
    Just took a walk over and there's certainly some work going on but no signage to indicate its for a Starbucks.

All the hoarding has been painted green now so that would seem like a bit of a sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭ofcork

At least one less vacant store,surprised there is no movement on the old blacktie store.

Wow, I knew they had a reputation for swamping an area but I didn't think they have 3 right in the city centre.

JohnK wrote: »
    Wow, I knew they had a reputation for swamping an area but I didn't think they have 3 right in the city centre.

you should visit Dublin city centre!!! There's possibly 5 or 6 within eyesight of O'Connell Bridge!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Was such a no brainer for years and years. To be fair, they are generally grand places to sit and read the paper/iPad for an hour and the coffee isn't at all as bad as the "cool' people let on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭calnand

ofcork wrote: »
    At least one less vacant store,surprised there is no movement on the old blacktie store.

I remember reading in the examiner/echo that it was sold, it was in the article announcing some building/shop developments a while back.

Found it. http://www.irishexaminer.com/property/commercial/savoy-owners-buy-quills-342839.html

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Was such a no brainer for years and years. To be fair, they are generally grand places to sit and read the paper/iPad for an hour and the coffee isn't at all as bad as the "cool' people let on.

There are loads of places to sit and read a paper in fairness. I dislike their coffee and that's all without claiming to be cool, imagine that!

3 right in the city centre is a bit much imo, definitely over saturation. A lot of people won't care because they will still go anyway, just cheapens the aesthetic of the city imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Can't say I'm enjoying the thought of ANOTHER Starbucks in the city. I'd rather see the independent coffee places do more. Between that and the new Nandos going in where Meadows and Byrne used to be, it does feel like the city is losing something.

On the other hand, there is no denying this is bringing in jobs (though possibly at the expense of smaller, local cafes) so that's a positive. Also, Starbucks does offer an option to sit down and meet proper in the evening that isn't a pub. This is something that should have been available in the city for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭mcko

I don't like their coffee, but that is just me , my son loves the place and all his teen age friends hang out there at the weekends, it is unfair on small coffee shops, I love Mary Rose in the market and coffee rosters in French Church St, but that is just me, unless you are a farmer you have to put up with competition and free markets,I agree with the open in the evening comment. They are not stupid and have done their research and it looks like the business is there to support a third one.

On a different topic, anyone know who is going into the old Wallace shop on Patricks St.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Pitcairn

mcko wrote: »

On a different topic, anyone know who is going into the old Wallace shop on Patricks St.

Holland & Barrett I believe. Lots of money to be made in those vitamins.

mcko wrote: »
    I don't like their coffee, but that is just me , my son loves the place and all his teen age friends hang out there at the weekends, it is unfair on small coffee shops, I love Mary Rose in the market and coffee rosters in French Church St, but that is just me, unless you are a farmer you have to put up with competition and free markets...

Out of curiosity, would your son and his friends have hung out in the likes of a Gloria Jeans or Mary Rose or that coffee roasters before Starbucks came on the scene? I'm not sure where the point was made - think it might have been in one of the news articles a few months back - but essentially what they were saying is that the typical Starbucks customer isn't actually someone who'd normally go to a coffee shop so the likes of Mary Rose or the coffee roasters on French Church St. are probably not really losing much/any business to Starbucks. Those places would tend to attract the typical coffee drinkers (ie, adults rather than teens/college students) who are probably unlikely to go to Starbucks in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭mcko

I completely agree with you I am just speaking in a personal capacity.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Pitcairn wrote: »
    Holland & Barrett I believe. Lots of money to be made in those vitamins.

I wonder how that will affect Here's Health. There's a lot of overlap between the two in what they sell and considering the size of that space, H&B are going to have quite a range.

It would be nice if some of the independents would open even a bit later. Closing cafes at 6 or even 5 sometimes strikes me a a bit crazy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭flo8s967qjh0nd

I'd be seriously concerned about the flagrant breach of the planning process here. That's three developments without any attempt to apply for planning permission.
    Arguably, the Princes St and Opera Lane stores would be likely to get planning, even retrospectively. However, I very much doubt whether the rumoured starbucks on St. Patrick Street would ever get planning in such a prominent site.
    http://www.eveningecho.ie/cork-news/starbucks-set-to-open-another-cork-store/

Advertisement