Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible Irish SOPA Law? :/

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

I guess we are misunderstanding each other. What I got from your initial comment was that people should stop contacting their local TDs. Is this right?
    I completely disagree with you if that is your stance. Like Stephen Donnelly and others have said on opposition benches.. "We are recieving a tornado of emails on this issue ... "
    The work I am doing and others also is having a major affect. TD's do listen to what you have to say... especially when you badger them on an issue, ring them day and night, bombard their offices with phonecalls.
    Let's not forget that similarly in the US... it was individuals who in turn killed SOPA!
    I felt the wording of your orininal comment was unwelcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

gavmcg92 wrote: »
    I guess we are misunderstanding each other. What I got from your initial comment was that people should stop contacting their local TDs. Is this right?
    I completely disagree with you if that is your stance. Like Stephen Donnelly and others have said on opposition benches.. "We are recieving a tornado of emails on this issue ... "
    No, what I said is that companies need to get involved for it to make an impact. People can email all they want but once companies and jobs are on the line, then they'll listen more.
    Let's not forget that similarly in the US... it was individuals who in turn killed SOPA!
    You saw how many large organisations objected to it right?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

So has this been passed? They were trying to rush it through were they not?

smash wrote: »
    You saw how many large organisations objected to it right?

Indeed, and I thought it was a fantastic success.

However I think, ultimately it was the people that killed this bill. Obviously you are going to disagree with me on this but that is the opinion that I hold.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

Also the stopsopaireland.com petition was organised poorly.
    When someone signed the petition an email went to sean sherlock and richard bruton which would have meant their office receiving more than 80,000 emails.
    A list of signatories of the petition was never kept.
    It was done in the wrong way, It needed a lot better organisation, it needed posters and advertising all over the country.

• Advertisement

Noticed a lack of posts on my facebook feed from friends who are involved with Labour and Labour youth. Normally they would be two of the most active people I know on facebook and decided to see if I had accidentally blocked them, checked my friends and couldn't find them so a quick search and I discovered that both had unfriended me. Bumped into one of them in town today and asked why, he told me that he was told to delete me as my continued posts regarding Labour being the puppets of big busyness and accusations that Sean Sherlock was dancing to EMI's tune was nothing but hate filled propaganda.

Noticed a lack of posts on my facebook feed from friends who are involved with Labour and Labour youth. Normally they would be two of the most active people I know on facebook and decided to see if I had accidentally blocked them, checked my friends and couldn't find them so a quick search and I discovered that both had unfriended me. Bumped into one of them in town today and asked why, he told me that he was told to delete me as my continued posts regarding Labour being the puppets of big busyness and accusations that Sean Sherlock was dancing to EMI's tune was nothing but hate filled propaganda.
    You should unfriend them in real life. they sound like morons!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Party before friends.
    You'll be wearing a star of David before too long if those lads get their way.

smash wrote: »
    You should unfriend them in real life. they sound like morons!
    mikom wrote: »
    Party before friends.
    You'll be wearing a star of David before too long if those lads get their way.

As I told the lad, I didn't realise that we were living behind the Iron Curtain. Shame that I'm most likely going to lose at least 1 if not 2 good friends over their blind allegiance to their political party. Ironically enough they both attack those FF voters who continuously voted FF and it seems that they are no different.

As I told the lad, I didn't realise that we were living behind the Iron Curtain. Shame that I'm most likely going to lose at least 1 if not 2 good friends over their blind allegiance to their political party. Ironically enough they both attack those FF voters who continuously voted FF and it seems that they are no different.

The party would drop them like a hot snot if the roles were reversed.
    So young to be under the whip...... it's sad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

These guys are laughable and should not be given any media attention. They do not represent the vast majority of people who oppose the current layout of this SI.

Here's a mad, mad idea: the vast majority of people who oppose the layout of this SI should go out and protest. That way, the people who oppose it are properly represented, and there's a chance our voices are heard. I suspect that Sherlock would change his tune if even a tenth of the people who signed the petition shouted at him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Here's a mad, mad idea: the vast majority of people who oppose the layout of this SI should go out and protest. That way, the people who oppose it are properly represented, and there's a chance our voices are heard. I suspect that Sherlock would change his tune if even a tenth of the people who signed the petition shouted at him.

I doubt it. The whole deal stinks. Changing a twelve year old law that benefits media companies only? C'mon, the guy's getting something outta this.

darokane wrote: »
    Also the stopsopaireland.com petition was organised poorly.

A list of signatories of the petition was never kept.

You mean this list?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AqU8tX-26C6RdF94UGtZc2k5RS1teHZEY1cwQkMxV1E#gid=0

Check the page before you think of blaming a good campaign.

36,000 signers who agreed to showing their name.

You mean this list?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AqU8tX-26C6RdF94UGtZc2k5RS1teHZEY1cwQkMxV1E#gid=0

Check the page before you think of blaming a good campaign.

36,000 signers who agreed to showing their name.

I profusely apologise but i received an email from them telling me that every time someone signs the petition an email went straight to sean sherlock's office and no lists were kept.
    Sean Sherlocks office deleted said emails without reading them.
    So No that is not good campaigning.
    A print out with the 80,000+ signatures should have been brought personally to them.
    A good campaign would not have just disappeared, A good campaign would have organised a mass protest instead of the couple of jokes of protests that we've had because of facebook events.
    The good campaigners seem to have given up.

I'm referring to the media attention. It seemed RTE were giving on the hour updates on how many people had signed the petition. I don't know about you but going from no coverage to daily coverage within a few days constitutes a some what successful campaign on behalf of tj mc intyre and co. (as far as the petition is concerned)
    The true fairy tail finish will be a rewrite to the current SI.

I'm referring to the media attention. It seemed RTE were giving on the hour updates on how many people had signed the petition. I don't know about you but going from no coverage to daily coverage within a few days constitutes a some what successful campaign on behalf of tj mc intyre and co. (as far as the petition is concerned)
    The true fairy tail finish will be a rewrite to the current SI.

As regards media coverage i agree yeah it was brilliant
    It just all seems to have fizzed out in the last week.

and for that I blame Mr Sherlock for his complete autocratic leadership stance, refusing to listen to the people and legal IT experts and going ahead with the SI as it stands in a manner that he vouched not to do if he got into government.

ACTA is on it's way... we need to regroup and hit both of these issues head on!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

As an aside BTJunkie closed down voluntarily,it seems other similar sites are planning to do the same.
    Plus certain sites have blocked access from the US.Not sure if I can name them here but the story is available on Torrentfreak.
    Is this a preview of what may happen here?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,767 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

maybe if sherlock released the consultation documents we'd have something to talk about

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

maybe if sherlock released the consultation documents we'd have something to talk about

I doubt there's much to speak of. ''Europe'' is probably telling him to do this. That ''Europe'' excuse is wearing thin. FG's ''dog ate my homework'' line me thinks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

• Registered Users Posts: 11,767 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

I profusely apologise but i received an email from them telling me that every time someone signs the petition an email went straight to sean sherlock's office and no lists were kept.
    Sean Sherlocks office deleted said emails without reading them.
    A print out with the 80,000+ signatures should have been brought personally to them.
    A good campaign would not have just disappeared, A good campaign would have organised a mass protest instead of the couple of jokes of protests that we've had because of facebook events.
    The good campaigners seem to have given up.
    very hard to start a big protest from nothing, unions are good at it as they have an organisation in place, otherwise it was just a spontaneuos protest.

didn't realise they sent the petition signatures 1 by 1 to the minsters email address? ha! but i bet they didn't imagine 80,000 (or even 50,000 irish IPs) would sign it.

they did encourage people to go to their tds over the weekend and many did, but it won't make the news, it kinda hard to get in the news if the gov go quiet. you need to something to argue against. The best thing would have been for sherlock to published the 50 submissions he got last summer at some point in the last 7 months and maybe this wouldn't have been such a last minute issue. The time crunch being the gov running from defending themselves against the music industry in court.

Burgo wrote: »

Here we go again!

The government closing the public out of politics.

"Hush now! We will run the country.... you just get back to your everyday life... you don't know how to run a country. We have your interests at heart!"

Last time I checked, this was a peoples republic!

I signed a petition today on a similar issue (treaty on the fiscal policy in the EU), to demand a referendum on the issue.

Who cares if we don't "need" to hold a referendum! The people have spoken (70%). We want a referendum on the issue!

I voted for Labour in the last election, mainly because of their support for students and free education. Not only have they broken their promise on that issue but they have also, potentially introduced an SI that could be detrimental to the freedom of information on the internet.

I have told the 2 Labour representatives, one of which is a close friend, that they have now truly lost my vote.

Shame on them. I expected this from Fine Gael but not Labour. A party that I have supported for a few years now.

Meanwhile the real pirates rule the seas.
    Sony Music has been accused of raising the price of a Whitney Houston album on Apple's iTunes Store within hours of the singer's death in the US.

Angry fans initially pointed the finger at Apple for the increase in price of Houston's greatest hits album, The Ultimate Collection, from £4.99 to £7.99.

However, The Guardian reports that it was actually record label Sony Music which increased the album's wholesale price at about 4am California time on Sunday.

Originally released in 1997, The Ultimate Collection was the second biggest-selling album on iTunes on Monday, after Apple returned the record to its original price late yesterday.

But fans of the singer have hit out at the temporary price increase as it came so close to the 48-year-old being found dead at the Beverly Hills Hilton on Saturday afternoon, local time.

Some described the move as "cashing in" on the tragic death, while others said that Apple and Sony Music should be "ashamed" of the alleged "shameless exploitation".

http://www.digitalspy.ie/media/news/a365468/whitney-houston-itunes-price-hike-blamed-on-sony-music.html

Scum.

All about the money, money, money....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,096 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Scum.

Scum.

Nothing new to me!

and they wonder why so many people are involved in piracy! There is your answer Mr Willie Kavanagh and EMI!

Was surprised to see this... almost a month after the original email. Ah sure a reply is a reply...
    Thank you for your email on the matter of internet freedom.

We recognise the need for copyright holders' rights to be upheld. Artists’ work should be protected from theft. This is the case on the main street, and it should be the case on the web too. It requires a strong legislative response to deal with it. However, this response cannot come at the expense of individuals' rights to privacy and the need to ensure that the internet remains a dynamic, innovative resource.

We believe that the laws recently debated in the US on the matter failed to strike this balance, and we agree with those who have made the point that there is a danger that similar legislation could be introduced here.

In late December, Fine Gael and Labour said that it would be introducing legislation on the matter. It would provide for copyright owners to apply for injunctions against Internet Service Providers (ISPs) in order to stop illegal material being downloaded by their customers. However, this is a blunt instrument which fails to strike the balance between the rights of copyright holders and individuals’ privacy.

There are questions as to how such a law would be compatible with European law. In a case before it in November, the European Court of Justice (ECJ) ruled that “National authorities must not adopt measures which would require an internet service provider to carry out general monitoring of the information that it transmits on its network.”

Fianna Fáil believes that the proposed new law should be compliant with the ECJ’s verdict. Fine Gael and Labour need to ensure that users’ privacy will be protected. We also believe that the Data Protection Commissioner should be consulted on the matter.

We do not need the Government in effect to be ordering ISPs to police the internet, which would be an infringement on net neutrality. We believe that they must produce a comprehensive framework on internet management which balances the rights of copyholders, the privacy of end users, and the need to maintain and protect a dynamic internet.

Thank you again for taking the time to contact me on this matter.

Yours sincerely,
    The Office of Micheál Martin TD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

According to the FrontPage of thejournal, that wanker Sherlock has signed it.

On a related note, has anything like this ever been overturned? And is there any way to make enough noise to get him out of the dail?

According to the FrontPage of thejournal, that wanker Sherlock has signed it.

On a related note, has anything like this ever been overturned? And is there any way to make enough noise to get him out of the dail?
    WTF?

The guy should be forced out of office.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

JUNIOR MINISTER SEÁN Sherlock has this afternoon confirmed that he has signed the statutory instrument that reinforces online copyright laws in Ireland. The controversial ‘Irish SOPA’ legislation was the subject of much debate last month amid concerns it would limit internet freedom. More to follow

Asshole,he went ahead and signed something he barely understood,just shows the arrogance of the guy amid huge opposition from many many quarters in the public & business.

Advertisement