Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

weanlings for beginners

Options
  • 21-01-2012 12:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

dont know if this is the right forum to put this in but already put it in the farming section and didnt get response - so here goes.

neighbour has offered me 7 weanlings - not sure how many days old but the price is good, so i am told and we have got calves from him before - put them on cows who have lost their newborns.

have had cattle for 12 years but got rid of 2 winters ago, just for the break. anyhow - does anyone here have experience of feeding - 8 weeks to wean? but what is the best way? calf nuts and what?

any advice welcome.

thanks

dave

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Why would you want to?

Will the sale of them cover the input?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

Dave, you dont say how old the calves are or if their weaned fully off milk.
    You are out of cattle you say but I presume you still have stock and a herd no.?
    Oh hang on their days old, milk replacer, you can bucket feed 7 no problem twice daily, keep on a clean straw bed and they wont need hay for a week or two, introduce calve ration gradually. Cant remember the amount, I might look it up later, but when they are eating enough ration cut off the milk replacer. Theyll be about 10 weeks by then. Access to water is vital as switching from replacer to water can cause problems. Also watch out for over drinking water when you switch.
    God I've forgotten so much stuff.
    I say go for it if you have the time and space, sell them as yearlings, or keep on to stores, money is good at the moment, you might have something left for yourself.
    Will the sale of them cover the input?
    If we knew that we'd all be rich :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

You know what, I was posting too late and I read weaners instead of weanlings :o:D

If you don't already, put me on ignore :)

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭jack77

Has your herd number not been deactivated? should give a bell to find out in case

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

I'd say be very careful...
    They would want to be coming very right to make money, even then you need to wonder why he's doing you such a favour??
    Rearing sucks is a bit time consuming but very rewarding and no offence you need to be real tight at managing them as a loss can happen very quick...

I'd say this will be our first year in the last 10 that we'll not be buying in sucks... the numbers just don't stack up at the moment... I just don't have the confidence that prices will remain string long enough to get a return... sucks being bought now for €500 and €600 will get it hard to leave a profit and I suspect are mostly being bought as "cheap" replacements..

No point in being a busy fool :o:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭bozd

Thanks for all the input
    Tommy2bad I'll take all that on board - sound advice - I help my neighbour out and he me, bought stock from him before and trust him.

Jack77 - I got a letter from the Department saying I need to let them know before I get stock - well it never said how long the notice or anything - so dont know if they can do anything if I give them a weeks notice and just buy the stock. 13 years ago, when applying for the herd no. they were himmming and hawing about when they could come out and I just said - I'm getting cattle next week give me a no. or I will stay out of the system - 3 days later I got it.

as for being a busy fool Bbam, I've always been one and dont intent to change my ways now:D

Advertisement