Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Blu ray recorder

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 burdenedgnome

The Panasonic DMR-PWT530EB Smart 3D Blu-ray Disc Player with 500GB HDD Recorder and Twin Freeview+ HD Tuners came and it can neither connect to satellite or firewire. I can not use it as a tuner-recorder from satellite or transfer my home videos from Sony camcorder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 224 ✭✭tmull

As I predicted here in previous posts Panasonic were dropping features and raising prices on each new release. Are you saying that there are no AV inputs at all on this new model ?. I also said that with all its faults the 720,released about two years ago would be missed when it was superseded. I dread to think of what will replace my 720 and 750 when the time comes. Good luck with your purchace. TMULL

• Registered Users Posts: 9 burdenedgnome

It gave instructions in manual to transfer from camcorder with serial port. The serial port on my camcorder is only for the pictures and short videos recorded on SD card - a feature I do not use. Only only other input on Panasonic is coax. Perhaps newer camcorders are different and could download video through a serial port. Not much point in a 500 GB harddrive with so few ways of transferring data on.

According to local shop Panasonic is only manufacturer of recorders with Hard drives. I guess they can put what features they like on with no competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 tomasdeb

Can you get your hands on any old HDD machine? I have an old Sony. It cannot record off air since the analogue switch off (except Freeview in or near the North) but is still good for recording from the camcorder via either scart or audio/video cables.

Another thing. Is there any point in recording your tapes to hard drive if that drive is plsyable on one machine?

The Panasonic machine you've bought seems to be a PVR only without scart input and unable to archive to DVD. The BWT series is a better option - but not cheap.

My beloved Freesat recorder started acting up about six weeks ago.First the timer that I set for recording started flashing as If it was about to start but after the program started the light was still flashing but the recording did not start. I discovered that if I just pressed the record button the program would record but the I discovered the I could not watch or record a second channel.I spoke to the repair man and he suggested a factory reset. I did this but then discovered the timer would work on one channel only and if I tried to set a second timed recording the light would come on as if it was about to start but it just kept flashing and not recording. About a week later when I powered it up it started recording immediately and would not respond to any command from the rc. Only way to stop it was to power it off. Handed it in to AVTV the official Panasonic dealer in Cork but talking to him yesterday he is not too hopeful. These boxes cannot be replaced but I may replace it with a dvd recorder to take some pressure off my 720. Any suggestions appreciated. TMULL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

TMull

The chances of getting a DVD recorder with a MPEG4/Saorview tuner is all but virtually impossible. You may unfortunately have to go down the route of getting the DMR-BWT740 (or a refurbished Freesat recorder on somewhere like Ebay or Amazon) in order to partially/fully get there. It will transfer (740)recordings from the hard drive to either DVD or Blu Ray only , not direct.

As for the Freesat unit did you contact Panasonic directly for advice? It is possible the hard drive may be starting to fail and replacing it may resolve the issue. Also an authorized Panasonic service center may be able to re image and install the original software with the relevant updates. Get the list of official service centers from either Panasonic's website or from the store in Limerick. Worth a try.

Cunnijo, Thanks for your input. The AVTV outfit informs me that they are the only official Panasonic agents on the island of Ireland. At least they were 3 years ago when they replaced the drive on that machine under guarantee. As I know the manager he was the one I gave it to .He spent some time at it and found the said drive was very unsteady and would soon need replacing but the main problem is the main board is faulty and not now possible to get. He said if he went ahead it would be very expensive and he recommended that I just give up on it. I do make a lot of recordings so in truth I have had my moneys worth out of it.I have already put a new sat receiver into my system and have it connected to my 720 through one of its AV inputs so that will do me for the time being for Freesat.
    Tried every dealer in Cork today to find a DVD recorder and none of them stock them any more .Two of them said they doughed that I would be able to source one. I would be reluctant to try the refurbished one as suggessted but I shall start looking into it.
    About two years ago a member on here showed me how to copy files wirelessly from my 720 to a Temp folder on my laptop using XBMC. I still have that on my laptop but all attempts to do it again fail me . Could anyone advise me please. TMULL

Hi TMull
    Regarding Panasonic authorised service centers I have found this on the Panasonic website. The company you mention is not one of the ones listed however.

http://panasonic.eu/ServiceCenter/en_GB/index_ie.html

As for a suitable replacement have a look at this link. There are some really good quality machines there.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1311.R4.TR5.TRC2.A0.H0.XPanasonic+Freesat&_nkw=panasonic+freesat+recorder&_sacat=0.

I would also look on ebay for a main board for your unit. They may not be as expansive as you may have been told. Some of the smaller service centers will look there first to try and save the customer money on repair costs.

Cunnijo, Thanks for those links. AVAE are listed in the link as Panasonic agents. I put the 750 back into the system last evening and it still does enough for me to hang on to it until it packs up completely.The tuners also provide a whole weeks epg for all the Freesat channels and although the timer does not work the recorder still records to the hhd as long as I start it manually with the remote control. Havent tested the drive yet but I still have the ability of transferring a file from the 750 to the 720.
    Had agood look around ehe ebay site and although most are refurbished with at most six months guarantee I was surprised to find a brand new one ,unused but on display advertised by a shop for 399 pounds sterling. This close to Christmas and having eleven grandchildren it is beyond my means.In my opinion this 750 is the best box Panasonic have ever made and I would recommend it to any member here. TMULL

Hi

Panasonic have finally released the replacement for the DMR-BWY740EB in the form of the DMR-BWT850EB. Features are fairly similar however the Euro AV socket (Scart) is gone. An issue for all who have set top boxes whether they be Sky or Virgin Media (UPC). Just a point to note.

• Advertisement
Advertisement