Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

West Clare Railway to Reopen(Moyasta-Kilrush)

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

CptSternn wrote: »
    I was excited when they first opened the Ennis/Galway line, until I saw the prices. Paying like 40 quid to take over an hour to get to Galway is mental. If I take the family there I can drive and get there quicker for a fraction of the price. If they made it a bit more reasonable then I am sure more people would actually use it. You can't afford even a day trip there on the weekends at the current prices.

You're forgetting something called "Irish Government/Civil Service Logic".
    Because nobody uses it, you have to jack up the price. So when numbers plummet after that, it gets heavily subsidized and the price gets jacked up. When finally only three people use the train (all OAP's who travel for free), the service gets canned.
    We're witnessing something similar with rates at the moment. because income from rates is down, rates get jacked up, income plummets, rates get jacked, etc...
    When someone mentions supply and demand, economy of scale, making the service attractive, saving costs by efficiency, promoting via advertising and PR stunts, promotion via special offers, etc... the people in the civil service howl "Witchcraft and Devils Magic!" and go on another tea break.
    Because, what are you going to do to them? They can't be fired, you can't cut their wages, you can only move them sideways or up.
    So being a creative thinker will only draw unnecessary attention when you work there. And that's the last thing you want.

Have there been any proposals to open this up as a greenway rather than as a railway?

The Galway - Limerick train is the same price as the bus at €20 day return but about 30 minutes slower than the X51 express bus.

The opening of train stations at Oranmore and Crusheen will make it even slower.

Advertisement