Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repairing GRP

Options
  • 17-01-2012 11:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

hi
    I would like to learn how to properly fill cracks and dinks on my old GRP boat - nothing too structural but just to develop a skill I could apply once the weather gets a bit warmer, and end up with a fairly decent finish. Can anyone recommend a good way to learn or any good online tutorials?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Here are some starter videos to get you going.You can also buy a gelcoat repair kit that will save you doing all that mixing http://www.marineparts.ie/paint-and-maintenance/epoxy-repair-kits/plastic-padding-gelcoat-filler.html
    I will be doing a gelcoat repair job in a few weeks and will put up some photos if you haven't got it done already :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWEE6SFUdpg
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=en-8SbhdF_k&feature=related

• Registered Users Posts: 46 orion50

Excellent - thanks!

In the second vid he goes on about rubbing compound ? what is this and where do you get it?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

You can get it in any motor factors it's like wax but a bit grittier try and get white if you are working on a white gelcoat I use G3 and find it very good. When sanding down the repair and it's just about level start working it down wet with 400,600,800,1000,1500 and even 2000 wet and dry paper, the compound is just the next step and should remove any of the remaining scratch marks.

31HzsraobgL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Fergal
    Thanks.

Boat is outside on the hard. Waiting for a nice day.. isn't it always the way...

• Advertisement

Can G3 rubbing compound be applied by hand/cloth or is it essential to use a mechanical buffer? some of the cheapo buffers are described as being unsuitable for this work ( non variable speed etc) and i dont want to shell out loads for a variable spped job

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭breghall

orion50 wrote: »
    Can G3 rubbing compound be applied by hand/cloth or is it essential to use a mechanical buffer? some of the cheapo buffers are described as being unsuitable for this work ( non variable speed etc) and i dont want to shell out loads for a variable spped job

personally I have always used a variable one as it is easy to burn your gelcoat if you use one that is spinning too fast directly on to it. where as with a variable one you can build up to the desired finish without any damage being done.

orion50 wrote: »

You can do it by hand no problem I was doing it today on my trailer mudguards :D wax on wax off, if you do use an variable speed grinder or buffer keep it wet with a bit of water as the G3 is quite thick on it's own and as breghall said it can burn the finish.

Thanks - i know the variable speed buffer ( that has got to be a double meaning!) is the proper job but I ccouldn't justify it for what I have to do,.

I'm using plastic padding gelcoat filler and i find the white does not match the older original gelcoat Is it worthwhile trying to add some colour to the plastic padding to dullen it a little or any other suggestions (such as put back the yellow staining....!)
    Any local suppliers of colouring compounds?

• Advertisement
Advertisement