Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Feel like I got skanked, do I have to pay?

Options
  • 17-01-2012 10:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭

How do,

Just back from the mechanics today. I left my car in for an oil change last Thursday and to investigate a noise coming from the engine which I assumed had something to do with the oil drop (which it did I found out). I didn't hear from them Friday or Saturday so dropped down in person yesterday to see what the story was. I was told that the oil had been changed and a leak in the tank was fixed. I was also told that my brake pads were wearing thin. I told them that I didn't want anything else touched at the moment. Very short on funds so selling the car in a month or so anyway. NCT is due next month so as per usual, I expect it to fail (usually doesn't mind you) and then get the mechanic to fix what's on the fail list. He said that's fine and it would be ready this afternoon.

Dropped in today to be greeted with a bill of €300. Pretty clueless with cars but felt that was a tad steep. Asked to see the receipt and lo and behold, there's charges for fixing slow punctures on tires (I have a mate who said he could help me out with tires), brand new wipers (never asked for them, I can buy them and install them myself anyway), suspension check (never asked for), brake test (never asked for) and the piece de la resistance...my wiper reservoir refilled (charged for of course).

Talking to the boss, he gave me the speel that he felt that it was to help for my up and coming NCT. I explained that he could have at least rang me for confirmation and he said "I thought you'd be appreciative". That got me fuming, whiy would I be appreciative of something I have to pay for. I explained if I knew that all this 'had to be done', I would have kept it off the road until I could afford it. He said he's take off the price of the tires and the wipers. I reluctantly agreed until I saw the price only drop by something like €40. I said to take the wiper refill off too and got the response 'sure it's only a fiver' (doesn't matter, didn't ask for it, take it out with a straw for all I care).

Was about to pay then the another mechanic came in who possibly overheard my discussion and mentioning that I want my old wipers back on as in I'm not going to be bullied into buying these new ones. He started to say that the wipers have been thrown out which shocked me that he needed to tell me such a thing. I explained that they took them off and threw them out without my permission so it's not my problem.

Felt I needed to clear my head and get other people's advice so explained I can't pay it (I honestly can't) and left it with them overnight as they said they couldn't let it go without payment. As I left I explained to the mechanic and secretary that they shouldn't have done all this without a confirmation which was only a phone call away and they both said they understood. So what do you think? Going back tomorrow. I feel like I want to pay for the oil change and the repair to the tank only and the labour time halved (as half of it was probably for stuff I didn't ask for). Have I got a chance? Am i being unreasonable?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,615 ✭✭✭✭listermint

How do,

Just back from the mechanics today. I left my car in for an oil change last Thursday and to investigate a noise coming from the engine which I assumed had something to do with the oil drop (which it did I found out). I didn't hear from them Friday or Saturday so dropped down in person yesterday to see what the story was. I was told that the oil had been changed and a leak in the tank was fixed. I was also told that my brake pads were wearing thin. I told them that I didn't want anything else touched at the moment. Very short on funds so selling the car in a month or so anyway. NCT is due next month so as per usual, I expect it to fail (usually doesn't mind you) and then get the mechanic to fix what's on the fail list. He said that's fine and it would be ready this afternoon.

Dropped in today to be greeted with a bill of €300. Pretty clueless with cars but felt that was a tad steep. Asked to see the receipt and lo and behold, there's charges for fixing slow punctures on tires (I have a mate who said he could help me out with tires), brand new wipers (never asked for them, I can buy them and install them myself anyway), suspension check (never asked for), brake test (never asked for) and the piece de la resistance...my wiper reservoir refilled (charged for of course).

Talking to the boss, he gave me the speel that he felt that it was to help for my up and coming NCT. I explained that he could have at least rang me for confirmation and he said "I thought you'd be appreciative". That got me fuming, whiy would I be appreciative of something I have to pay for. I explained if I knew that all this 'had to be done', I would have kept it off the road until I could afford it. He said he's take off the price of the tires and the wipers. I reluctantly agreed until I saw the price only drop by something like €40. I said to take the wiper refill off too and got the response 'sure it's only a fiver' (doesn't matter, didn't ask for it, take it out with a straw for all I care).

Was about to pay then the another mechanic came in who possibly overheard my discussion and mentioning that I want my old wipers back on as in I'm not going to be bullied into buying these new ones. He started to say that the wipers have been thrown out which shocked me that he needed to tell me such a thing. I explained that they took them off and threw them out without my permission so it's not my problem.

Felt I needed to clear my head and get other people's advice so explained I can't pay it (I honestly can't) and left it with them overnight as they said they couldn't let it go without payment. As I left I explained to the mechanic and secretary that they shouldn't have done all this without a confirmation which was only a phone call away and they both said they understood. So what do you think? Going back tomorrow. I feel like I want to pay for the oil change and the repair to the tank only and the labour time halved (as half of it was probably for stuff I didn't ask for). Have I got a chance? Am i being unreasonable?

Woh Woh,

What was the 'repair' to the tank? Oil pan i presume? did they just replace the sump nut? and oil change it?

That is NOT 260 Euro worth of work. Oil change and sump nut would ring you probably 60-80 Euro. Sounds like they are taking the piss.

Is this a reputable service centre?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Phone some places ask for quotes on the work that was done and compare. Take it from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Bigus

Did you leave the car in for a service or an oil change ?

Would you be complaining if they gave you back the car in an un-roadworthy condition?

I can see your side of the story but also think what they did is not unreasonable, unless you specifically stated oil leak and oil change only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

I left my car in for an oil change last Thursday and to investigate a noise coming from the engine....I told them that I didn't want anything else touched at the moment.
    Bigus wrote: »
    what they did is not unreasonable, unless you specifically stated oil leak and oil change only.

Why post?why not just read the op.

Actualllylike, that's bs IMO. Have you used these guys before as they seem to be trying to shaft you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

Contact Simi maybe? see what they say aboit it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 hohohaha

you did not ask for the work to be done so you don't have to pay, as well as that what value is on the car after cost of repairs nct and insurance while trying to sell it
    weigh it up if too expensive leave it with them they will get money for scrap value.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭actuallylike

On the bus (obviously:o) so can't reply in depth. Will do when I'm home.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭cat320

Saw this kind of thing before, they are trying to ride you, oldest trick in the book, we will do all the other stuff that you can do yourself and takes 5 min to do and shove on the charges then. I wouldnt take it from them, tell them you will pay for what you asked to do and nothing else, thats taking the complete pi**. You should put them on here and shame them so no one else will go there in future..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

What exactly was done to "fix the leak in the tank"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

somthing is interesting me in all this, can the garage legally hold his car until he pays? just has me curious because i remember a similar thing happening before in somewhere i was working

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭couldntthink

Regardless of anything, they should have given you a ballpark figure and this kind of thing is un acceptable in the motor trade these days. Communication with the customer is vital.

Sick of places like this giving us all a bad name.

Kick up a huge fuss.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Cdub

They are acting the b£$£ox with you, no question.
    You should take them on full bore and insist on paying what you think is fair, no more. Not the first case I've heard recently especially when your a 'walk in' with no relationship with them.

listermint wrote: »
    What was the 'repair' to the tank? Oil pan i presume? did they just replace the sump nut? and oil change it?
    No idea, going down now to find out exactly what was done.
    squod wrote: »
    Phone some places ask for quotes on the work that was done and compare. Take it from there.
    Will do that after I get the final price of oil change, repair and labour
    Bigus wrote: »
    Did you leave the car in for a service or an oil change ?

Would you be complaining if they gave you back the car in an un-roadworthy condition?

I can see your side of the story but also think what they did is not unreasonable, unless you specifically stated oil leak and oil change only.
    An oil change, no service. I would be complaining if he handed it back without an oil change cause that's what I asked for. What he did was highly unreasonable as I didn't ask for any of it and I was only a phone call away for clarification.
    kupus wrote: »
    edit: maybe not?
    cat320 wrote: »
    You should put them on here and shame them so no one else will go there in future..
    Don't want to do that unless he decides to change his tune today, also doubt the mods would be too happy.
    weeder wrote: »
    somthing is interesting me in all this, can the garage legally hold his car until he pays? just has me curious because i remember a similar thing happening before in somewhere i was working
    That's what I'm raging about also, had to bus it to work yesterday and possibly today if he won't release it.

And to answer questions, I am not a walk in. I bought the car there and have had every service there, he knows me by name. Basically, I'm hoping that this will all be sorted out this afternoon. Thanks for the responses

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

kupus wrote: »

lol........thanks for the laugh.:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

And oil and filter change and full vehicle inspection costs €65 in my place and would be similar elsewhere.

There is no excuse for being charged for checking the suspension and brakes, these are basic inspection items and as for being charged for topping up the washer bottle:rolleyes:

Nothing should ever be fitted without the go ahead from the customer(maybe basic bulbs aside) and if you don't want them then they should be removed and your old parts fitted.

Do you have an exact breakdown of the bill?

Hey all, got back this morning from an early morning visit. Didn't go too well, quite heated at times. My lack of knowledge of cars probably showed but I still think I'm in the right.

they tried explaining that the fixes they did was for my own good but after explaining that I should be the one to decide they eventually agreed that their failing was in not calling me but in fairness they did take off the cost of the tires and the wipers yesterday. I still made a point hat it should have never been done. When I asked to explain the suspension test, they said that it was a visual check when it was on the ramp (checking for the source of the noise from the engine) and they do so because if they saw something and didn't tell me and I crashed they'd be liable, really?

I was told that checking the noise involved a road test and a full check (the noise was to do with the oil tank so I asked why they didn't check there first as it would have made sense). At this point they started getting a bit defensive accusing me of accusing them of taking me for a ride. I kept reffering to the initial bill of €300.

I said I looked up oil changes and he said my bill doesn't just include an oil change so it's immaterial. He knocked of another €30 to make it €220 as a favour. I then said I want to take the bill away to have a think about until tomorrow, he said fine.

It then got pretty heated when I asked for the car back in good faith (haven't had it for work for near a week now). He wouldn't let it go because he felt that in spite of the the years of me going there and never questioning the repairs, the trust has been broken now and he wouldn't release the car.

It kicked off again there, I made a few errors here. 'Wiper Refill' charge is seemingly the changing of the wiper and not the reservoir refill (very embarassing for me:o). No accusations were made but it ended on sour terms and the car is still down there. I left fuming but probably because I just didn't get my way. Am I been out of line? The place has a good reputation so I'm expecting to be told that this is the price I'll have to pay.

I also accused them of giving me (and charging for) a service which I was told I didn't get although the bill breakdown includes checking and cleaning brakes, lights and a wash and a hoover (didn't ask for it although don't see it in the charges but will that bump up my labour cost?). I was charged for just under 2 hours labour at a cost per hour excluding vat. Any suggestion that this should be reduced due to labour on issues that I didn't ask for fell on deaf ears.

Basically, I'm bussing it to work tonight again, and just going to go down tomorrow and pay up unless I'm mad to?

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭questionquick

can you give us the breakdown of the bill

Something like..

Item A cost €xx

Item B cost €xx

Item C cost €xx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

I can tell you right now, I would not be leaving my car with them two nights in a row!

I would not leave until I had it back, they cannot keep it

can you give us the breakdown of the bill

Something like..

Item A cost €xx

Item B cost €xx

Item C cost €xx

Bill's at home but it was along the lines of labour at E150 and then various parts and oil added on.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Bill's at home but it was along the lines of labour at E150 and then various parts and oil added on.

still doesnt give a break down.
    Until you post a break down of charges and work done, posters are simply guessing at what to say.

• Advertisement

kceire wrote: »
    still doesnt give a break down.
    Until you post a break down of charges and work done, posters are simply guessing at what to say.

fair enough, I'll put them up when I'm home from work later on tonight. Wanted to keep it as confidential as possible but can't see what the prices would reveal. Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭bfocusd

They cannot do anything further than what you agreed to originally, if it requires any further checks or parts etc. They have to call you to confirm you agree to the work and addition in the price.

I had something similar happen in a dealership, where the car was bought too, left the car in for a service, that alone cost around 380, then got a call to say discs and pads were needed because there was a CRACK in one, at a cost of about 400, I hadn't the cash on me that day and said I'd ring back, thinking s*!t what will I do now, I can't drive it.
    Rang back and got through to reception and asked how long it would take etc and was it in a bad way, reception woman says, the LIP on them isn't too bad, but still needs changing and it will be ready today.

anyhow was in the area and dropped in insisting on seeing the car before the repair, wasn't a thing wrong with it, then the mechanic came back from lunch, got him called in to explain it to me in reception and the look on both their faces when they realised the story clashed.
    Then they both went down the crack on the disc route, I said I wanted the keys and as I was handed them I said, now if my car is deemed unsafe to drive and you just handed me the key, you are liable if I'm inane accident.

That's when they started saying they mixed up the cars, fking impossible I drive a red st, how many of them are they going to have in, I was fuming!

I left in the end and have not been back since, wouldn't recommend them ever, well if they were still in business I wouldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,147 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Know any guards OP? I'd be pretty certain they can't keep the car from you once you're prepared to pay the going rate for an oil change.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,664 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I had something similar happen a few years back..

Dropped the car into the main dealer I bought it from (it was still under warranty with them) to get an issue with the lights looked at - having been advised by another main dealer that I should get them to look at it under that warranty.

So I drops the car in and despite the above, I tell the service manager SPECIFICALLY that if anything comes up that's NOT covered, he's to call me first! Grand he says.. I sign the car hire agreement with Enterprise for the day and off I go.

Around 4pm I gets a call from the office manager l in the office saying the car is ready (naturally several hours later than promised as usual with servicing in my experience), but that I owe €200 for the work!

I went mad. Told her there was no way I was paying for work I hadn't authrorised and definitely not when I'd specifically told the Service Manager NOT to do anything that would be chargeable without my approval.
    She of course was off home at half 4 but insisted the bill would have to be settled before they'd release the car and I could sort it out afterwards.

So, fuming, I rang the sales guy in the same dealership I bought the car through and he ended up giving me the MD's mobile number - who was in London for the day

So I rang, and rang and rang (aren't free calls great :)) until I finally got him - by which time he'd been briefed by the Service Manager - and I gave him the same line as his office manager (in the meantime driving up to this dealership to get my car!). By the time I was pulling in off the motorway he said he'd talk to the Service Manager...

I pulls into the forecourt, goes in all ready for the row but the Service Manager tells me that if I just pay the cost of the hire car they'll drop the rest.

So I did and they did and I drove home - but I've never been back since (not least because of the ridiculous prices they were charging!)

Now I get the car serviced by a main dealer up north and they are a LOT better to deal with, nicer all round and generally shave a few quid off the already lower prices if there's an unexpected delay - they even wash it which (while a small thing!) I've never had a garage do down here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    - they even wash it which (while a small thing!) I've never had a garage do down here.

I used to get my car serviced at an independent garage and after every service car would be washed and vacumed. even though I never asked for it.

Those two little simple things got him 2 other clients (family and extended) because I told them of the work he put into the car. Its a small thing, washing and hoovering maybe 10 mins in total, but it showed that he doesn't view us as cash cows to be milked at every opportunity.

If other dealers would be like this, maybe opinions would change for the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 oJayTo

Op its a bad situation your in and you definitley shouldn't have to pay as others have said you have to be called 1st before any work commences.

And to the other posters here I'd would suggest that if you have the time look in to servicing your own cars. You save a LOT of money and its really not hard.

Especially with YouTube there's a tutorial for everyone's car guaranteed if your not mechanically minded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

What annoys me is when they say they have replaced plugs etc only they haven't. Of course they charge you for these fictitious parts.

Right, just home there. Breakdown of bill is as follows. I went in and asked for an oil change and for the noise that came from the engine to be investigated (probably my downfall :rolleyes:)

Bear in mind, this bill is the amended one with tyres and wiper work taken out

Job Description:
    To carry out full service replacing the engine oil, oil filter and air filter. Check and clean and adjust the brakes front/rear. Check the lights and levels replacing wiper blades as required. Topping up the coolant and washer bottle. Check the suspension and tyres carrying out two punctures, wash and hoover and road test.

This is what first scared the bejaysus out of me, all that work?!? Here's the breakdown of the pricing.

Labour 150
    Consumables(?) 13
    Wiper Refill 5
    taken out after we talked
    Air Filter 17 taken out after we talked
    Oil Filter 9
    Oil 24

In total, whole job comes to around 220 (I think). Have no idea what to think right now, really feel I have no choice to pay it as I need the car. But maybe someone might see above as as fair as I'll get at the moment? Going to bankrupt me for a bit. I guess I should have asked for the quote at the start and demanded to be called about any extras, live and learn I suppose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭RickRoll

Consumables would be the wipers I presume?

What exactly was the €5 wiper fill?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

RickRoll wrote: »
    Consumables would be the wipers I presume?

What exactly was the €5 wiper fill?

Wiper refill, i.e replacement rubber insert rather then whole wiper blade.

Advertisement