Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

England V Pakistan

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭booth70

dooferoaks wrote: »

Well done to Pakistan but no international team should lose from the position England were in.

And certainly not when you are the no : 1 team in the world !!

Nowadays every team is no : 1 in the world as long as you are playing at home.......really makes you admire the great West Indian and Australian teams of the past and how they dominated in ALL conditions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

booth70 wrote: »

Nowadays every team is no : 1 in the world as long as you are playing at home.......really makes you admire the great West Indian and Australian teams of the past and how they dominated in ALL conditions

Its very true, no one dominates Test cricket like they used to, in itself is a good thing, but I would love to see a team really make a good fist of trying to play in different conditions.

India havent bothered away from home, and England have been very poor in different conditions. Although I don't think conditions can justify some of the shot selection by the batsmen and particularly the middle order in these first two tests. 9 Batsmen scored 13 runs in the second innings today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭decies

Well done Pakistan . Come home Eoin Morgan they don't want you in their test side.

decies wrote: »
    Well done Pakistan . Come home Eoin Morgan they don't want you in their test side.

He was playing in this test, did as badly as most of the team.

England gave a perfect example of how not to chase a low total.....21 of the first 15 overs!!... and 8 of them overs were bowled by an opening batsman!!!

Strauss has not made a run in the last year and has pretty much lived off the successes of his team-mates.....surely at 35 he hasn't got much time left and England will need to start looking at a new opening partner for Cook

The less said about KP , Bell and Morgan the better....Bopara is not the answer...god knows he's had enough chances already!

Great to see Monty back in the team though:)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Trott, Broad, Swann, Prior and Anderson - 5 wickets in 11 balls, a South Africa or a West Indies of a collapse:pac:

England won't do much to remedy it by focusing on replacing Morgan. Pietersen and Bell have both toured India in 2007 (?). They should be experienced, this is Morgan's first Test tour there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

2 of the best ever teams in the Cricket history. No team comes close to the Great WIndies and Aussie teams.

Thats why I said England are not dominating force that many said they are. They played well at home and thumped everyone, but to prove you are undisputed number 1 you should do the same on away grounds and most importantly on sub continent pitches which is the biggest test for the likes of English, Aussies and SA.

For now they are doing just what Indians have done, playing well on home grounds. (England did win against Australia but they were on mini crisis who even lost to NZ).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,023 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

England gave a perfect example of how not to chase a low total.....21 of the first 15 overs!!... and 8 of them overs were bowled by an opening batsman!!!

hafeez to be fair is really good, he'd probably get into most teams for his bowling alone. If only he wasn't prone to gifting his wicket away when on the verge of a monster score, he would be an immense all rounder.

Probably will replace Misbah as captain in a few years as well.

England 6/1 in reply to Pakistan's 99 !!...What are the odds on this match finishing tomorrow?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

England are 9-2

• Advertisement

KP got out again to his favourite, good old left arm spin. Sky showed decision was very tight, and he was a bit unlucky, and if Trott had got his reviewed he would have still been in, for at least another ball or two anyway.

England 72 for 3.

Day ends on England 104 - 6, another poor display with the bat after the bowlers did so well.

I know SKY has daily highlights but does anyone know if there are higlights of the day's play on any terrestrial channel?

No terrestrial highlights for this series unfortunately.

Pakistan 36 ahead with 8 wickets in hand.....Given how poorly England have handled spin I reckon Pakistan will feel confident about defending a lead of 100;)

Pakistan finish 180 ahead on 222/2......Looks like the wheels have well and truly come off for England on this tour....if they dont strike with the new ball early tomorrow I think a 3-0 thrashing beckons

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

To be that far behind with so much time left and Misbah to bat yet, you fear that England's bowlers might be there for a while yet.

Slow grind, Azhar Ali and Misbah would be an awesome partnership to see pound England into extremely slow submission :D

England 36/0 chasing 324.....If England get a good start tomorrow this could still be a cracking finish

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Batsy

It wouldn't suprise me if the Pakistanis are up to no good again behind the scenes. A Daily Mail sports writer, at the start of the First Test, noticed that one or two Pakistani bowlers may have been bowling illegally.

It was Ajmal 'chucking' in the first test
    It was Trott getting the 'runs' in the second test

Wonder what excuse the English will come up with for the third test?!....The DRS I bet!!:rolleyes:

Well played Pakistan....thoroughly deserved 3-0 whitewash

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Cook and Trott averaged around 27 runs. (Cook with SR of 30). 5 Pakistan batsmen bettered that average.

Panesar took more wickets in 2 tests than Swann took in 3 tests.

Ajmal took twice the number of wickets than Swann and Rehman outperformed Swann by miles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭rudboy

The general consensus on the Guardian's cricket forum is Morgan out, he has been very bad but so has the rest of the batting order. So it will look as if its all his fault if they drop only him, real pity as i think if he is given more time he could be great but the writing is on the wall....

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭SSK

rudboy wrote: »
    The general consensus on the Guardian's cricket forum is Morgan out, he has been very bad but so has the rest of the batting order. So it will look as if its all his fault if they drop only him, real pity as i think if he is given more time he could be great but the writing is on the wall....

Morgan has looked out of his depth in fairness, he has well documented issues with quality pace bowling and has shown in this series that he doesn't really deal with spin all that well either. A lot of potential but I think he was promoted too soon in hindsight. KP is the next most vulnerable but won't be dropped, Bell has been too good over the last 18 months to drop on the back of one bad series.

Overall its good to see Pakistan with a quality and hopefully legitimate team with some good young players. Fully deserving of their series win.

rudboy wrote: »

Morgan looked good in his brief innings of 31 yesterday.....he always looks good when he attacks and a real mess when he defends....

I think England should and will stick with him for the Sri Lanka series particularly if he scores some runs in the one day series against Pakistan that starts shortly

If Bopara is the best replacement England have got it says a bit about their batting reserves!!

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭boksmashoffice

What the f**k is up with the Akmal clan? They could not catch for s**t. Cook should have gone way before he got near his 2nd hundred. fair play to him for taking his chance. I can see another 100 + run defeat. i hope i am proved wrong like the 2nd test. lets see.

What the f**k is up with the Akmal clan? They could not catch for s**t. Cook should have gone way before he got near his 2nd hundred. fair play to him for taking his chance. I can see another 100 + run defeat. i hope i am proved wrong like the 2nd test. lets see.

Umar is not a specalist wicket keeper, may get away with him in 20 overs but not in ODI sadly.

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Umar is not a specalist wicket keeper, may get away with him in 20 overs but not in ODI sadly.

True: However you need a player who can catch a ball behind the stumps. It gives the spinners a bit more confidence in him. maybe he will deliver with the bat. No MALIK in the team should help. The openers have to step up for 15 overs and set a platform.

LETS SEE

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭rudboy

Aye Cook could've gone for 28!! Disastrous fielding, on an Irish note Morgan was all over the place at the start of his innings but settled down a bit. Don't know if that gets him a spot in Sri Lanka with Bopara breathing down his neck.. hopefully he'll get longer at the crease Saturday.

One of the most inane efforts to chase I have seen in yonks. hafeez as usual after a good start pisses away his wicket to a nothing ball, the Farhat inning was so fluky and his dismissal was comical. Pleased he didn't get a 50 he did not deserve it. Afridi and Umar also gave it away after playing some big shots. Afridi missed a straight ball for **** sake.:eek:

And well that Rehman innings....,1 of 12 balls:eek::pac:

Such a shame that Malik and Razzaq are out of form because they are light when it comes to batting. It may be worth having a look at Azam.

feck sake. That is one that got away. Once it got down to a 20 over game, i really fancied Pakistan, however the selfish self destruct button was pressed. Rehman (are you kidding me should be a 11). The brains trust got that wrong. Bring on friday for more misery. The real number 1 team will show this big headed english team how to play in the summer. Hopefully a drubbing of NZ should put us no 1. All we need now is nationalise Ajmal. The brits have been poaching, might aswell start as we have no decent spinner. (Tahir is crap). Due to the lack of options in spin, he looks good.

• Advertisement

Why is Pakistan obsesessed with the Akmal clan?!!!....It seems that none of them can catch the ball!!!!

Having said that Cook has been brilliant and England thoroughly deserve the 2-0 lead

Advertisement