We have updated our Privacy Notice, you can read the updated document here
Mods please check the Moderators Group for an important update on Mod tools. If you do not have access to the group, please PM Niamh. Thanks!

Sporina's Quitlog

13

Comments

  • #2


    ezryder wrote: »
    Hi Sporina,

    I quit 17th Jan so i'm 1 day behind you and still off them thank God!! They kinda pop in and out of my head every now and again but no real cravings at this stage.

    Whenever Im in a stressed out situation i just think a fag right now would make this 100% worse!!

    Yes, i had coldsores too but their gone now, seriously not a good look!

    Here's to the next 4 months :)

    oh wow - that is sooo cool.

    and the above highlighted is such a good way to look at it! The guilt afterwards would be worse than the stress you experienced initially.

    best of luck and keep us posted..

    I had an urge today but it was only cos someone was annoying me at work.. but the thought did not last long in my head..


  • #2


    yeah…… been off them since jan 16th!! i no longer fear smoking when out anymore either which is a relief..


  • #2


    happy 6 months smoke free to me… :)


  • #2


    sporina wrote: »
    happy 6 months smoke free to me… :)

    Well done and congratulations.:)


  • #2


    sporina wrote: »
    happy 6 months smoke free to me… :)

    Happy 6 month smoke free anniversary to you, happy 6 month smoke free anniversary to you, happy 6 month smoke free anniversary dear sporina......happy 6 month smoke free anniversary to you!! Hip hip, hooray!!!


  • #2


    sporina wrote: »
    happy 6 months smoke free to me… :)

    Whoo hoo!!! Massive congrats Sporina...i've my 6 months anniversary today!

    It feels great doesn't it :D:D


  • #2


    going on holiday with a smoker in september.. THAT will be a realllll test!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


  • #2


    sporina wrote: »
    going on holiday with a smoker in september.. THAT will be a realllll test!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Oooh - a real smoker? A dying breed ;)

    Is it more than just you and the smoker? Easier if it is.
    Is it a country that is tolerant of smoking indoors etc? Harder if so.
    Is it a holiday where you will be outdoors a lot? Easier if so.

    Was actually talking to my OH about this the other night, I dont socialise with any smokers. Not on purpose!! The last bastion of smoking was myself and one other friend and she quit too. I was in a pub last week and we were just saying how horrible pubs must have been before the smoking ban, I mean I wouldnt have a clue, I was contributing to the general fug plenty myself!!

    Im sure you will be fine on holidays, you might even encourage your friend to quit by example.


  • #2


    so i gave up on Jan 16.. and like i said, I went on hols from September 21st - 28th.
    I failed.. I robbed a fag from my mate while she was asleep.. I was v v drunk and I went out to the balcony and lit it.. I only took a few drags of it before stumping it out.. I didn't enjoy it at all..

    I do not know why I did it… it was that voice again I think…. there were so many smoking around me. I thought I was missing out on something but I was not..

    I do not really feel Like I broke my pledge because I did not finish the cig nor did I enjoy it..

    any thoughts?


  • #2


    If all you did was light one and then get rid and youre still off them now then what harm?

    No failure.


  • #2


    Wouldn't be worried about it. If anything its just something else to remember next time you consider taking a drag.


  • #2


    thanks ya'll..

    but i was off them for soo long…

    i need to go on another holiday and not smoke in order to get over this..

    :mad:

    so am i off them nearly 9 months or 1 week?


  • #2


    sporina wrote: »
    thanks ya'll..

    but i was off them for soo long…

    i need to go on another holiday and not smoke in order to get over this..

    :mad:

    so am i off them nearly 9 months or 1 week?

    How long do you feel you are off them ????














    Thats how long you are off them !!


  • #2


    sporina wrote: »
    so am i off them nearly 9 months or 1 week?

    If someone told you they had never smoked in their life except once on holidays when they were drunk they had a few drags then stubbed it out, would you consider they had ever been a smoker?


  • #2


    Hi Sporina,

    Dont beat yourself up about this. So,you've had half a cigarette in 9 months. I'd say 12 months ago you would have taken that.

    The important thing is not to smoke again the next day. Remember the reasons you quit in the first place. I'm sure we all dream about taking just one more smoke no matter how long we are off them. I over 7 months off them and nearly everyday I still get the odd twinge for a smoke.

    As far as I'm concerned you didn't fall off the horse,the saddle just slipped a bit!!

    Keep it going,

    HB


  • #2


    Honest Bob wrote: »
    Hi Sporina,

    Dont beat yourself up about this. So,you've had half a cigarette in 9 months. I'd say 12 months ago you would have taken that.

    The important thing is not to smoke again the next day. Remember the reasons you quit in the first place. I'm sure we all dream about taking just one more smoke no matter how long we are off them. I over 7 months off them and nearly everyday I still get the odd twinge for a smoke.

    As far as I'm concerned you didn't fall off the horse,the saddle just slipped a bit!!

    Keep it going,

    HB

    excellent metaphor.. keep me coming..


  • #2


    as time goes by i do not think i see this as me giving it…

    i thought i was missing out on something by not smoking.

    but when i let the cig i realised that i was not missing out on anything.. quite the contrary..

    i have a wedding coming up soon so that will be a test also - one i will pass though me thinks.

    perhaps i got the curiosity out of my system.


  • #2


    Hi Folks, I feel of the wagon - been smoking about 18 mths... only 5 a day but none the less...

    Anyway today is DAY 1 of quitting again.
    I have the Nicorette inhaler..
    I tried the gum and it made my jaw click and tummy sick..
    I don't smoke enough for patches...

    Gosh my head is not in the quitting place at all but there is a huge part of me that wants to quit..

    But even as I type I can feel the addiction gnawing at me...

    Gosh how I regret ever lighting that first fag..

    Words of wisdom, encouragement folks please??? xx


  • #2


    sporina wrote: »
    Hi Folks, I feel of the wagon - been smoking about 18 mths... only 5 a day but none the less...

    Anyway today is DAY 1 of quitting again.
    I have the Nicorette inhaler..
    I tried the gum and it made my jaw click and tummy sick..
    I don't smoke enough for patches...

    Gosh my head is not in the quitting place at all but there is a huge part of me that wants to quit..

    But even as I type I can feel the addiction gnawing at me...

    Gosh how I regret ever lighting that first fag..

    Words of wisdom, encouragement folks please??? xx

    I send this to everyone who is on the line between decisions

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXsQAXx_ao0


  • #2


    thanks for that..

    been off them 5 days now,,, the 2nd day was the hardest so far - felt really down..

    the mornings are the hardest

    was at a party at the weekend; i thought that that would be a challenge but there were no smokers there..


  • #2


    Keep it up sporina. Day 3 is the hardest. Then it will come hard when you least expect it. Stay strong.


  • #2


    Orion wrote: »
    Keep it up sporina. Day 3 is the hardest. Then it will come hard when you least expect it. Stay strong.

    thanks for that...

    I was out at the weekend and smoked 1.. and to my astonishment, I enjoyed it. I was surprised as, I usually don't actually enjoy smoking,.. it was always like, I got this notion to have one, but then when I lit it, I would not actually want it.

    But on Friday night, I smoked a whole one I one go (normally I only smoke half at a time).

    I am still off them though.. I don't get any major pangs, though I am using an inhaler..

    My smoking addiction is weird - its like, Its just something for me to give me time out or something.. or maybe I am kidding myself - maybe Alan Carr is right - its just an addiction.

    I am eating more though... but I have lots of fruit in the house so I am not too worried about that.. and anyway smoking is worse than gaining a few pounds,. and luckily enough, I can afford to gain a bit.

    The main imminent reason why I wanna stop smoking is for my teeth.. I have some gum inflammation; smoking causes/exacerbates this.


  • #2


    i'm off the smokes 6 months, i had one lapse of a few smokes when i was a bit messed up from drinking too much, but since that about 4 months ago none. the first few days very hard to beat but believe me it get's easier. i hardly even think of them now. first of all you'll have to really want to give them up then it's beating the first few days and not smoking this may take a few attempts LOL. i used nicorette inhaler, when ever i wanted a smoke i had a spray of that, its takes a few seconds to take effect but that is all, and then your urge is gone. and only do it when your desperate for a smoke. i don't mean your crawling the walls but you really need a cig then go for a spray you'll know yourself don't have a spray because it's lunchtime and you always have a smoke at lunch time.


  • #2


    i'm off the smokes 6 months, i had one lapse of a few smokes when i was a bit messed up from drinking too much, but since that about 4 months ago none. the first few days very hard to beat but believe me it get's easier. i hardly even think of them now. first of all you'll have to really want to give them up then it's beating the first few days and not smoking this may take a few attempts LOL. i used nicorette inhaler, when ever i wanted a smoke i had a spray of that, its takes a few seconds to take effect but that is all, and then your urge is gone. and only do it when your desperate for a smoke. i don't mean your crawling the walls but you really need a cig then go for a spray you'll know yourself don't have a spray because it's lunchtime and you always have a smoke at lunch time.

    hi thanks for that - i was at a wedding at the weekend and fell off the wagon.. tried again today but fell; i bought a pack.. i will try again after this pack .. I am using the inhaler... its kinda hard to inhale? how do you know when its empty btw?


  • #2


    mine sprays liquid into your mouth, it has an acidic taste, i never finished a bottle so it never ran out. I have about six bottles at home unopened that the pharmacy wont take back as they class it as a medicine, anyway; The best time to give up is when you feel the urge to give up and do it straight away, just break your smokes and throw them in a bin outside your house. i used to always say to myself i'll give up after this packet. but anytime i did that i didnt have the same feeling to give up the smokes at the end of the packet that i did on that instant that i wanted to give up its 10 euro for a pack, so you feel your being cheated but in fairness it's 10 euro for your health, not too expensive LoL. if you don't really feel like it don't force yourself to give up, it never works. the urge may take days it may take weeks but it will return


  • #2


    I totally flopped - I stayed off them for two weeks only.

    I just had my last cigarette there - so tomorrow is day 1 again.

    I am not totally in the mind frame but I have so many reasons why I want to give up.
    Here goes again.
    Wish me luck.


  • #2


    Any updates sporina?


  • #2


    yep i fell and hurt my jaw a week ago - realised the other day that smoking was making it worse so not smoked since Wednesday ...

    It is easier knowing that I have an imminent reason not too.. no idea where my head is at long term though


  • #2


    sporina wrote: »
    yep i fell and hurt my jaw a week ago - realised the other day that smoking was making it worse so not smoked since Wednesday ...

    It is easier knowing that I have an imminent reason not too.. no idea where my head is at long term though

    Oh God I hope u feel better soon. I would have been off them a month since last Friday but iv bought 3 boxes since then so I can't say iv given up really . I used smoke 20 a day. The Times I bought the cigs I was having a really really stressful day so I need to channel that stress a different way. Patches ready to go for tomorrow anyway.
    Good luck.


  • #2


    ja1986 wrote: »
    Oh God I hope u feel better soon. I would have been off them a month since last Friday but iv bought 3 boxes since then so I can't say iv given up really . I used smoke 20 a day. The Times I bought the cigs I was having a really really stressful day so I need to channel that stress a different way. Patches ready to go for tomorrow anyway.
    Good luck.

    awe thanks and you too - awful awful addiction - so addictive!!! grrrr....:mad::mad::mad:


Society & Culture