Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photo locations around south Leitrim?

Options
  • 13-01-2012 6:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭

Would anybody have any suggestions for a site to take photographs near this location? Obviously there are some good options here but aside from that has anybody with local knowledge any suggestions?

Glencar waterfall, as stunning as it is, is too far away at 95km.

Poll an Easa seems like a very good option. Perhaps Fenagh Abbey would be OK, too. Anybody have any other suggestion for photos around this region, even a small scenic area near a river, lake or monastery/historic site?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭ajjmk

The harbour in Dromad is a beautiful location, though I can't find any pictures online that do it any justice! It's about a 10min drive from Lough Rynn :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055794180

dromod frozen

in dromod too

http://www.coillteoutdoors.ie/index.php?id=53&rec_site=72&no_cache=1

old ruins lake etc you cannot beat lough key 25-30 mins away

lough allen v nice

erne shannon waterway lots of photo ops

pm me if you want anymore info

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 troy1

Carrick can be good even at night. here is a photo I took a few days ago - http://www.anthonytroyphotography.com/2012photoblog/hBDCAEA8#hbdcaea8

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Dostoevsky

Thanks everybody. Somebody suggested a church near Lough Rynn. Is this the one they were talking about? Never noticed it before, even though we travelled around the lake last weekend. Will keep an eye out now.

Carrick at night, as lovely as it can be, is out as we'll only have 60-90 minutes to get photos taken between the church at 1pm and the reception in LR. As we're looking for water and/or some old historical or stone place, Dromod Harbour could be an option.

Going to Poll an Easa will add a total of 27km on to the time it will take us to get from the church to LR. Would any of you seasoned Leitrim photographers know if it would be worth going to in terms of the sort of photos you could get from it?

Thanks. All other suggestions for good sites for photographs on a July afternoon will be appreciated.

One other thing, on a sign in Lough Rynn a place named the 'Druid's Altar or Dolmen' was mentioned as being very close to Lough Rynn. I couldn't find it. Is it anything to write home about in terms of photographic opportunities?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Cul a cnoic

Dostoevsky wrote: »
    Is this the one they were talking about?
    No, I believe that Farnaught is where they were talking about. Its just a mile from Lough Rynn and would have been part of the Rynn estate. Fantastic looking church and there are many old buildings and houses in the area worth snapping. Behind Lough Rynn, beside the boat house is the ruins of an older castle. This general area should fill a few memory cards on the right day.

As for South Leitrim, there are loads of places you could go. Many lakes in the area and not forgetting the Shannon and the Shannon-Erne waterway with their boats, bridges and locks. Also the railway is not far away with Dromod been the closest station. Again nice old buildings and bridges.

Fenagh Abbey, Poll an Easa, Dromod are all very nice but you will waste too much time getting around to them if you only have an hour plus for photography.

What church are you leaving from to go go LR?

EDIT: Correct link to Farnaught below.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&ll=53.871306,-7.825192&spn=0.000003,0.002057&t=m&z=19&vpsrc=6&layer=c&cbll=53.871049,-7.825717&panoid=RGl5wvwCrWQ5KGZ_OFp9nw&cbp=13,332.31,,0,2.38

One other thing, on a sign in Lough Rynn a place named the 'Druid's Altar or Dolmen' was mentioned as being very close to Lough Rynn. I couldn't find it. Is it anything to write home about in terms of photographic opportunities?

Have a look here

No, I believe that Farnaught is where they were talking about. Its just a mile from Lough Rynn and would have been part of the Rynn estate. Fantastic looking church and there are many old buildings and houses in the area worth snapping. Behind Lough Rynn, beside the boat house is the ruins of an older castle. This general area should fill a few memory cards on the right day.

As for South Leitrim, there are loads of places you could go. Many lakes in the area and not forgetting the Shannon and the Shannon-Erne waterway with their boats, bridges and locks. Also the railway is not far away with Dromod been the closest station. Again nice old buildings and bridges.

Fenagh Abbey, Poll an Easa, Dromod are all very nice but you will waste too much time getting around to them if you only have an hour plus for photography.

What church are you leaving from to go go LR?

EDIT: Correct link to Farnaught below.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&ll=53.871306,-7.825192&spn=0.000003,0.002057&t=m&z=19&vpsrc=6&layer=c&cbll=53.871049,-7.825717&panoid=RGl5wvwCrWQ5KGZ_OFp9nw&cbp=13,332.31,,0,2.38

That Farnaught church looks class, both the stone and the garden, the nicest church I've seen in Leitrim (although this photo of Fenagh Church of Ireland is idyllic beyond words, and the Corrawallen CofI is also impressive).

Going on that Google Maps image I'd love to get married in Farnaught, but I doubt they or the CC would facilitate that (although I note there was an ecumenical service there recently). Getting photos there would certainly save time, if they'd allow us on the way back from the ceremony which is currently scheduled for Aghavas Church. Photos from both the Boat House and at the remnants of Reynolds' Castle next to the Lough Rynn lake would also be good and then I suppose a heap of photos could be taken in the walled garden (I noticed two weeks ago that the original walled garden was way bigger than it is now). Thanks. Keep the suggestions coming as we're going back down again next weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭storm2811

If I remember right, I think Hanleys ploughed through it to make way for the golf course... :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 troy1

Wasn't clear on the background to your photos till now. I have put up a photo of Poll an Easa to give you an idea of what can be achieved on a camera. It is here - http://www.anthonytroyphotography.com/2012photoblog/h15ca1c2b#h15ca1c2b
    If you click on the picture it will appear larger. Hope this will help you.

• Advertisement

Keep the suggestions coming as we're going back down again next weekend.
    How did you get on with your last visit?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 tonydatiger

A drive up to Sliabh An Iarainn for some snaps is highly recommended.

Advertisement