Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting two pigs next week

Options
  • 12-01-2012 3:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

We are keeping on a half acre, have priced sheep wire (its 150 ft by 4ft at 57 euro) Is this a good price and was going to put an extra layer of barbed wire at the bottom.
    We have a small outhouse on the land for shelter also
    Anything else?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭fodda

Electric fence not only for your perimetre but it would be best to strip graze your .5 acre.........so a moveable leccy fence as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Gilally

What do you mean strip graze?:o

So they are confined to one area per time.

Just divide your field up into 3 parts and let then in to one part for 2 months at a time, then move them and rest that used field for 8 weeks to recover and allow any parasites to die off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eguGJrqkO8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21-IkaHhSg0&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpOMsnDwG1U&feature=related

You also need plenty of water and a place they can roll in (wallow in)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭crackcrack30

Only allow them access to a part/fraction of the land parcel at one time thru fencing, allows for mor efficient control and management of food ect

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Have a place where you can confine them....for loading/inspection. Perhaps the outhouse fulfills this? And make sure they are familiar with this place, otherwise you may not get them in when you want to!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

a bucket of pig food and my pig will go anywhere!!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

No6 wrote: »
    a bucket of pig food and my pig will go anywhere!!!:D
    From experience, doesn't work everytime :confused:

But my fellows had a lot of natural foraging and it amazed me what they refused

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Forget sheepwire and barbed wire, just use electric and make sure you buy pigs that are trained to electric fences.
    They will root out the posts for sheep wire and escape.
    I use the plastic standards and 3 strands of polywire one at 2" one at 8-10" and one at 18"
    You can move these as you graze/root an area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Farmtrader

How are you getting on with the pigs ? I'm thinking of getting some and putting them in a small paddock next to the yard.

• Advertisement
Advertisement