Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Choice Music Prize Thread

Options
  • 11-01-2012 11:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭

Hey guys I didn't see a thread on the Choice Music Prize from this year or previous years so I said I would start a thread

The Nominees are
    And So I Watch You From Afar – Gangs (Richter Collective)
    Bell X1 – Bloodless Coup (Belly Up Records)
    Cashier No 9 – To The Death of Fun (Bella Union)
    Lisa Hannigan - Passenger (Hoop)
    The Japanese Popstars – Controlling Your Allegiance (EMI)
    Jape – Ocean of Frequency (Music Is For Losers)
    Patrick Kelleher & His Cold Dead Hands – Golden Syrup (Osaka Records)
    Pugwash – The Olympus Sounds (EMI/1969 Records)
    Tieranniesaur – Tieranniesaur (Popical Island)
    We Cut Corners – Today I Realised I Could Go Home Backwards (Delphi)

My money is on Lisa Hannigan :) any thoughts guys ? :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭deeks

Would love to see ASIWYFA win it. Great album.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Explosions in the Sky

deeks wrote: »
    Would love to see ASIWYFA win it. Great album.
    Their music says enough without lyrics :D, amazing record

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Think it'll be Jape or Hannigan to win it. Would prefer Richie to take it.

Agree about ASIWYFA but don't think it'll be all the judges cup of tea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭catch--22

Cashier No.9 would be my choice to win (I have €20 on them).

But I'd rather see ASIWYFA (I also have €20 on them ;) )

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭noideaforaname

Very surprised the Minutes are on that shortlist. They brought out a great debut.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭cossy09

Very surprised the Minutes are on that shortlist. They brought out a great debut.

Have to agree with that. They were being well tipped to win it never mind nominated. Still some good music nominated but I thought Marcata was a very strong debut.

Could be the best thing that ever happened them:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Jordo141

Deffo agree that The Minutes should be there.

ASIWYFA will probably win it, but I'd prefer to see Lisa Hannigan or Jape snag it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Explosions in the Sky

Bought Marcata recently, yes the minutes deserve to be there :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Jim_Kiy

I think the last band are top and deserve a claim!

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭val_jester

Its quite a strong list, really hard for me to pick a favourite but I would like to see Lisa Hannigan win it, she really made a superb album and she is excellent live.

Delighted We Cut Corners got a nomination, another fantastic live band and really interesting album.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

Tieranniesaur all the way but the strongest selection ever I'm pretty sure. Irish music is going through a solid golden age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

I've only heard Jape, Bellx1 & Hannigan, Jape would get my vote from those. Brilliant album (as I keep telling him on Twitter :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Joe_Dull

If there is any justice in the world ASIWYFA will win!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭FewFew

Irish music is going through a solid golden age.

Dunno about that. Many of the bands on the list are the aul mainstays that have had a solid following for years but haven't been able to cut the mustard in other markets.
    Being an Irish centred band doesn't make them bad, and isn't even the main point I'm making, but, it just feels very... meh.

If you're talking about the health of Irish music, I much prefer the years where there was a greater mix. This nearly feels like a shortlist for the UCD ball or something. The mainstays to get most of the punters in; the established alternative acts for the "other" kids; the token trendy bands for the hipsters.

I'm sure they're all great albums, but it's far from a good sign for the Irish music industry.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

I've only heard Jape, Bellx1 & Hannigan, Jape would get my vote from those. Brilliant album (as I keep telling him on Twitter :D)

He's a good guy is Rich!
    Fewcifur wrote: »
    Dunno about that. Many of the bands on the list are the aul mainstays that have had a solid following for years but haven't been able to cut the mustard in other markets.
    Being an Irish centred band doesn't make them bad, and isn't even the main point I'm making, but, it just feels very... meh.

If you're talking about the health of Irish music, I much prefer the years where there was a greater mix. This nearly feels like a shortlist for the UCD ball or something. The mainstays to get most of the punters in; the established alternative acts for the "other" kids; the token trendy bands for the hipsters.

I'm sure they're all great albums, but it's far from a good sign for the Irish music industry.

Disagree completely, the strength of Irish music can be judged by the number of great acts that brought out albums and didn't make the list.
    There's a great mix of bands on that list and where you see it 'aul mainstays' i see it as bands that have worked hard over the years and brought out a really good ****ing album. Something to be proud of.

Take the Jape album, he held off on releasing it and re recorded alot of it as he wasn't happy with it. A few years ago, he wouldn't have been in a position to do that. It's all about progress. (imo)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭FewFew

lordgoat wrote: »
    Disagree completely, the strength of Irish music can be judged by the number of great acts that brought out albums and didn't make the list.
    There's a great mix of bands on that list and where you see it 'aul mainstays' i see it as bands that have worked hard over the years and brought out a really good ****ing album. Something to be proud of.

Take the Jape album, he held off on releasing it and re recorded alot of it as he wasn't happy with it. A few years ago, he wouldn't have been in a position to do that. It's all about progress. (imo)

Yeah, I understand they're probably all great albums, but I'd have to debate using this choice prize as a snapshot of a healthy Irish music scene. Somewhat stagnant perhaps.

Don't get me wrong, I always argue that there's a good Irish music scene, because there is, whether you're into your Popical Island or your Richter Collective or whatever, I just don't think this year's Choice is any more deserving of the "indication of a healthy Irish music scene" tag than more recent ones.

Funnily enough, the Sunday Times Culture section has an article about the death of popular music and lists everyone of the Choice nominees. I don't completely agree with the jist of the article, but, interesting none the less.

Edit: And it's not even a bad list, I'd probably enjoy a higher percentage of the albums on it, but that's more down to a lack of variety. Where's the "I completely don't get this..." factor from bands making their own music that I just dislike.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Tree Scape

All of the bands are apparantly playing the live event in the olympia

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Bump....

Just announced Japes album Ocean Of Frequency has won. The man himself has commented on Twitter

"F**k me" :D

Well done Ritchie!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

It's a decent album alright but I don't think it was the best of the bunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,726 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Ritchie's rich, is the prize-money still 10Gs?

I agree with the decision, Ocean of Frequency for me was a slow burner but now I can't stop listening to it.

I heard Royseven won best song, meh.

Oh and I still think it was an injustice not to include The Minutes' Marcata.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭mehfesto

Just back from the show.

Great performances all 'round, though We Cut Corners and ASIWYFA were head and shoulders above the rest. ASIWYFA in suits was a sight to behold. And then the drummer got bored with wearing clothes before song two. The new lad in the band is also fitting in really well. They're tight as f*ck.

Overall though, the show was pretty shambolic. Yeah, the stage looked great and the sound was good (except for Cashier #9), but as a show for the punters, down-stairs at least, it was very, very poor.

First off the speakers protruded out further than normal, meaning that anyone in the front and near the edges of the aisle had quite badly restricted views. The seats were also too close together and people had awful trouble getting in and out of rows at the intervals. First time I've seen that at the Olympia.

Then there was the photographers (of which I was one). They weren't allowed in the pit because of the videographers (who also blocked the view for those seated) and as such they were left roaming around the venue, in front of people who'd paid to get in. The Olympia staff were apologetic to punters and photographers alike, but they said there'd been no plan for them according to the organisers. There were 11 photographers in all, which meant there was lots of movement all night.

Anyway, moaning aside I feel that Jape deserved it for being that nice of a guy at least. Great album too, but I'd a tenner on We Cut Corners.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,251 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Anyone go to the free ASIWYFA gig in the Mercantile after?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Stompbox

My God, that Royseven tune is MOR mediocrity at it's blandest.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭rock whore

mehfesto wrote: »

Then there was the photographers (of which I was one). They weren't allowed in the pit because of the videographers .

was the whole show filmed?
    i was flicking round the telly last night expecting to see it or at least some highlights. it's a shame that our national channels can show award ceremonys for british soap operas but didn't cover this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Stompbox

It was streamed live on Venue One.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

A little off topic but this thread got me looking and theres an excellent seies of ASIWYFA youtube videos:

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭rock whore

Stompbox wrote: »
    It was streamed live on Venue One.

never heard of that before, nice one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭Finneen

Stompbox wrote: »
    My God, that Royseven tune is MOR mediocrity at it's blandest.
    Have one of their albums, bland rubbish for bland people.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Did they not win for most (over)played Irish song as opposed to best song?

Woeful.

Delighted for Richie again, this a real grower of an album but not perfect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,530 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Did they not win for most (over)played Irish song as opposed to best song?

Woeful.

Delighted for Richie again, this a real grower of an album but not perfect.

Shame, as usual, how a successful band always get sweared blindly at for being successful. Saw Roy Seven support Director a few years ago in the ambassador and blew everyone away, had everyone talking about it for months after. Fair enough, they took a different direction and came up with one of the best produced Irish pop songs of the year and didn't need Louise Walsh, Simon Cowell etc to hype it up. I say fair play and well done for picking up the award.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement