Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did any of you play Subbuteo

Options
2»

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 3 genericspin

I was too young and couldnt get a look in, when subuteo was a thing in my life.
    I knew there was something going on with the figures but nobody would explain.

so I returned to playing with sticks.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

I was footie mad as a kid and desperately wanted it.
    got it cheap... set it up, and thought it was muck!
    Think I only played it once.
    Thankfully I already had supercup football and just loved that even more!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Olishi4

My brother had it and i think he lost alot of the players. Then my dad got him a new one and i dont think it was ever opened.

My brother use to use his Star Wars men and re-enact soccer games with the figures. He'd do a little commentary and Id sit and watch the "match".

I used to play house with the Star Wars figures. Princess Lia and Han Solo were the mam and dad, the Ewoks were the kids and the granny and granda were played by The Emperor and Yoda. They all lived in the Millennium Falcon/Bungalow :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭forzacalcio

Had a VHS video of the Italia 90 Subbuteo World Cup. Greece won the mens and Morocco won the juniors. Ireland didnt make it our of the group stages

EDIT: Here it is :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBlxGcXeSUo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭spoke2cun

Thanks for that forzacalio. Impossible to find anyone in Ireland who has any interest in the game. It's a pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

The Guy who ran our leagues back in the day still has every piece of his collection. He used to buy two sets of each team ,1 for playing and 1 for keeping pristine.
    The league was run like a military operation with set timeline for each round . Every street had its 'Home Pitch' in someones house where you played if your own set up wasn't up to standard. You had to have the pitch atleast Thumbtacked on the sheet of Chipboard. Chipboard being rough enough to give the baize a better grip. Pitches were brushed and ironed before league matches.
    Lots of lads would have got their own teams without ever having a pitch.
    We definitely had 2 divisions in the league as I remember missing out on Promotion

My Ma still has my collection and my Nephew took it out a few years back and just couldn't understand why we ever played it.

Thanks for sharing Esroh. Nice to hear stories of similar memories. Those were the days eh?

Subbuteo night in Derry this Monday 21st November 2016. Everyone welcome to come along to the new club. Hoping to start around 8pm. It takes place at the Derry City Club, Crawford square.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭smilerf

Could never understand the appeal of this or scaletrix
    one is flicking toy figures and the other was pressing a button and watch a car going round and round

wtf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Never really got into huge games of this but we came up with, what we thought was a better game ... goalkeepers only.

Slide to kick, you'd get some rockets in the top corners.
    We'd stick straws then to the posts to play GAA and rugby versions.

razorblunt wrote: »
    Never really got into huge games of this but we came up with, what we thought was a better game ... goalkeepers only.

Slide to kick, you'd get some rockets in the top corners.
    We'd stick straws then to the posts to play GAA and rugby versions.

Did you see this Razor? http://www.catchandkick.com

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

spoke2cun wrote: »
    Did you see this Razor? http://www.catchandkick.com

Ha that's great!

Advertisement