Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Hampshire Primary

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭Amerika

InTheTrees wrote: »
    Resurgence huh? Resurgance from their last debacle.

If you mean their continuing effort to scupper the budget by insisting on paying for tax cuts for the 1% by cutting benefits to pensioners, remember how well that went down with the public when they last tried it before xmas?

If they were half way competent they wouldn't need to "re-surge" because they wouldnt have plunged into insignificance in the first place.

Isnt the definition of stupidity not learning from your past mistakes?

Just keep thinking that way... please! :D

Much of us plan to focus our efforts on the Senate races this year. The voice will carry over into the general election.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭Suryavarman

RichieC wrote: »
    Before you mouth off perhaps you should do some reading. independent voters can vote in both primary elections in the state of new hampshire. Only those with declared party affiliations are restricted to either primary.

There are more independent voters registered in NH than there are registered republicans and democrats.

Before you mouth off you should realise that some people don't want to become independents only to change back to being Democrats a few weeks later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭RichieC

Before you mouth off perhaps you should do some reading. independent voters can vote in both primary elections in the state of new hampshire. Only those with declared party affiliations are restricted to either primary.

There are more independent voters registered in NH than there are registered republicans and democrats.

Before you mouth off you should realise that some people don't want to become independents only to change back to being Democrats a few weeks later.

Independants in NH break to the republicans statistically. Who said they re reg as democrats? Why be party affiliated when it matters naught?

Now, I havent looked this up but heres a guess. Younger voters areent affiliating and voting for Ron.

Independants in NH break to the republicans statistically. Who said they re reg as democrats? Why be party affiliated when it matters naught?

Now, I havent looked this up but heres a guess. Younger voters areent affiliating and voting for Ron.

People that voted for Ron in the Democrat primary were more than likely Democrats to begin with. To vote for Ron in the Republican primary they would need to register as independent. There is obviously some benefits to being a Democrat. These people are probably just disappointed with Obama's presidency and wanted to display their anger by writing in Ron Paul on the ballot. They don't like Ron Paul enough to vote for him against Obama in the general election so therefore they wouldn't waste their time registering independent to vote in the primary only to re-register as a Democrat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

I know that in my village most Democrats did not vote. They're waiting for the big one.

• Advertisement

Spread wrote: »
    I know that in my village most Democrats did not vote. They're waiting for the big one.

Heh. It's democracy, not a football match.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

There's no point in voting in the democratic primaries this year, Obama will win by a landslide and is the only declared candidate...

There's no point in voting in the democratic primaries this year, Obama will win by a landslide and is the only declared candidate...

Oh, I thought he was referring to the Republican primary! Which I now see that registered Democrats couldn't vote in NH.

Apologies from silly old me...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭RichieC

People that voted for Ron in the Democrat primary were more than likely Democrats to begin with. To vote for Ron in the Republican primary they would need to register as independent. There is obviously some benefits to being a Democrat. These people are probably just disappointed with Obama's presidency and wanted to display their anger by writing in Ron Paul on the ballot. They don't like Ron Paul enough to vote for him against Obama in the general election so therefore they wouldn't waste their time registering independent to vote in the primary only to re-register as a Democrat.

Well Im going on a break down of voters in a state where 40% of registered voters are independents and historically break for the republicans .. the liberal dems I know cant stand Paul and wouldnt even protest vote him.

I think it a far more likely case the "independants" voted and listed ron.

Some people vote in the primaries to keep a perfect voting record. I'm not sure what benefits there is to having such a record but apparently that's why many people vote anyway. Some people might turn up just as a show of support for Obama.
    Well Im going on a break down of voters in a state where 40% of registered voters are independents and historically break for the republicans .. the liberal dems I know cant stand Paul and wouldnt even protest vote him.

I think it a far more likely case the "independants" voted and listed ron.

There is plenty of anti-war Democrats who would have great admiration for his anti-war views though and they probably wrote his name in as a response to Obama continuing Bush's foreign policy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Some people vote in the primaries to keep a perfect voting record. I'm not sure what benefits there is to having such a record but apparently that's why many people vote anyway. Some people might turn up just as a show of support for Obama.
    Pride thing I think. I had it til the last 6 months or so, was close to not voting in the presidential election here, the winners of everything are decided long before we start to think about voting.
    There is plenty of anti-war Democrats who would have great admiration for his anti-war views though and they probably wrote his name in as a response to Obama continuing Bush's foreign policy.
    Those dreamers, looking for an alternative! :pac:

Advertisement