Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

selling Astra, need suggestions for new car

Options
  • 10-01-2012 12:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

Ok, so currently have a 06 astra 1.4 sxi 3 door with 95k kilometers on it. Wont even go into how much i paid for the piece of sh1t a couple of years back but am now selling it in order to save money.

Its fuel economy is shyte, its tax is high(er) than a 1.2, the wheels cost a bloody fortune to replace and its the sh1ttiest car ever designed (looks ok, but was designed by a blind non-driving pigeon)

So, selling it isnt the issue. I need some suggestions on smaller engine cars and dont mind dropping back in years. Im sick to my tits of paying them wannkers in government money (fuel tax, road tax, vat on tyres, tax on fresh air...) I only have a 10 minute commute to work daily and dont have no children so no baby seat room needed!

Any suggestions greatly considered people.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

a 1.4 car does not cost alot to run. those 3 door astras are very good cars and the standard 16" tyres are not expensive to replace. has it broken your heart with repair bills? or are you just angry at the government?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭veetwin

OP if paying road tax, tax on fuel, VAT etc are causing you such grief you might be better off on a bicycle.

Seriously switching to a 1 litre car might save you pennies and they certainly won't be any nicer to drive than what you have already. In reality most will be worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

An Astra 1.4 tax and running cost is bloody low. What exactly is your issue?

Sounds like you're going to trade down to something that will be so soul destroying you'll lose your mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭GaelMonfils

car is averaging 35 mpg which is total shyte. Wheels (for half decent tyres) cost 105 a corner. Bulbs blow and need replacing every 1000 kilometers. Comfortable ride postion - as long as you're not driving. And that fcuking indicator with its automatic turn off as you are trying to use it. Yes, great if you live on a motor way, otherwise, bloody stupid. Not to mention if you have any slight back ache at all, getting in and out of the car is a bloody nightmare (and thats counting on the weight of the door not slamming back and taking your shins off)
    And last but not least, the seat belt. Perfect for nimble 16 year old double jointed contortionists. Everyone else - tough poo poo.

And i also dont like the political system in this country but seeming as this is ireland, at the end of the day, im only interested in my own pocket:D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

What makes you think downgrading will improve any of those things?

• Advertisement

car is averaging 35 mpg which is total shyte.

Am I missing something here? You're getting over double what I get!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭barura

If your commute is 10 mins by car, then its probably only 30 at most by bike. Piratically free after the initial purchase.

Failing that a 999cc polo is cheap as chips to run.

Also, calm down with the cursing.

I think its going to be difficult to recommend a car for you. I woud suggest taking plenty of test drives and maybe seeking opinions here on particular cars here might be more useful!

If you car is blowing bulbs every 1000kms you should be get an auto electrician or mechanic to have a look at it.

smash wrote: »

Sounds like you're going to trade down to something that will be so soul destroying you'll lose your mind.

Not too pushed on my soul being destroyed, just sick and tired of forking out unnecessary cash on a materialistic item. No, im not a car person at all. I Used to be. Then i stopped as it was an expensive hobby. Looks and overall performance dont bother me anymore.

Sounds like a wind up thread

• Advertisement

the indicators? half click equals 3 flashes and full click equals constant....simples.

@ barura - apologies for cursing. Merely venting!

@smash - the conmbined average mpg for this car should be around 44-47 mpg. If you are getting only 17.5 mpg for your motor, i suggest you sell the Mitsubishi/Subaru/m3 . Also not a wind up thread.

@veetwin - had a couple of mechanics (reputable ones too) take a look at the car, and they said they found nothing wrong with electrics.

44-47mpg....oh jesus somebody take him away!

yes the astra does that. you flick the indicator like a normal one and it works like a normal one

the indicators? half click equals 3 flashes and full click equals constant....simples.

And im simple kind a guy. I put indicator on, indicator stays on. I put indicators off, indicator turns off.

44-47mpg....oh jesus somebody take him away!

???

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

OP it does sound like you are just pissed at the government and having a rant on the forum about your car but if you want to save cash and don't mind going back down the years, sell your astra for about €6.5k and buy a 10 year old 1 litre VW Polo for about 2k. It has €180 tax, cheap tyres and should get 40mpg.

Otherwise keep what you have, drive more economically, shop around for better tyres and suck up the relatively measly tax of €350 a year.

@smash - the conmbined average mpg for this car should be around 44-47 mpg.

You might see 44mpg on a motorway at 100kph. You certainly won't see it on a 10 minute commute to work or any short journey where the car doesn't even get properly warmed up. The same will be true of 1 litre cars.

Seriously, consider a bicycle.

166man wrote: »
    OP it does sound like you are just pissed at the government and having a rant on the forum about your car but if you want to save cash and don't mind going back down the years, sell your astra for about €6.5k and buy a 10 year old 1 litre VW Polo for about 2k. It has €180 tax, cheap tyres and should get 40mpg.

Otherwise keep what you have, drive more economically, shop around for better tyres and suck up the relatively measly tax of €350 a year.

Ideally i was looking at getting some suggestions from people who have owned/driven a range of small engined cars. I was ranting about the car - its crap. The government thing only goes hand in hand with having to fork out unnecessary cash each year. Apologies if my newly ascertained tight-arsedness has offend some folks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭no1beemerfan

'00 Nissan Micra FTW

veetwin wrote: »
    You might see 44mpg on a motorway at 100kph. You certainly won't see it on a 10 minute commute to work or any short journey where the car doesn't even get properly warmed up. The same will be true of 1 litre cars.

Seriously, consider a bicycle.

44 mpg on a motor way in my astra? Not a hope in hell. Tried, tested and failed!

Looking for advice on a car on a motoring forum and you suggest a bicycle. Cheers

• Advertisement

the astra has short gearing so will be at higher revs at motorway speeds hence why they are not meant for motorway crusing. no 1.4 petrol will get you over 40mpg op its crazy to think that.
    i had a mk2 punto 1.2 and it was very good on petrol and very reliable (despite what you may have heard).
    i have a 1.8 hatchback version of your car and i get about 32mpg around town. the engine doesnt have to work as hard to get the car up to speed which is the downfall of the 1.4. your coupe weighs about 1250kgs which is pretty heavy for an 88bhp engine so it needs to work hard and therefore uses more juice.

44 mpg on a motor way in my astra? Not a hope in hell. Tried, tested and failed!

Looking for advice on a car on a motoring forum and you suggest a bicycle. Cheers

The only reason I suggest a bicycle is that the cost of motoring causes you such pain. Look if you want to save money get a small 1 litre polo/micra or similar. They all cost more or less the same and are more or less reliable. If you buying an old one budget for repairs and maintenance such as clutches, suspension, bearings and timing belts all of which wear with age.

ardennes, thank you for that answer. Im not someone who knows this kind of stuff. Frankly it doesnt interest me so i dont care.

What are peoples opinions on clios?

reliable enough, probably the most reliable of renaults from the 00-04 era. wouldnt be my first choice certainly in that category

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Buy a moped/scooter? 100 mpg.

something like this http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2640634

Full?id=8400752

still new enough. very reliable. cheap to run and maintain

Buy a moped/scooter? 100 mpg.

cheers henry. Not great though for bringing my mother on her weekly shop!

Then drive properly because if I can get 38 out of my 2.0 Alfa on a motorway then you can get 44 out of your 1.4 Astra. My Rx-8 wont go above 17 though I'm sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

What type of driving do you do OP?

• Advertisement

EPM wrote: »
    What type of driving do you do OP?
    hopping off the rev limiter in stop start traffic by the sound of it.

Advertisement