Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is gay marriage a threat to humanity?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭a-ha

talkinyite wrote: »
    I actually don't get it. Do gays want to change the definition of marriage?

Did extending the franchise to women and men who didn't own property change the definition of voting or just allow more people to vote?

Did inclusion of non-rate payers and women in Irish juries change the definition of jury service or just increase the pool of potential jurors?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭lividduck

a-ha wrote: »
    Did extending the franchise to women and men who didn't own property change the definition of voting or just allow more people to vote?

Did inclusion of non-rate payers and women in Irish juries change the definition of jury service or just increase the pool of potential jurors?
    Bloody well said. If two people wish to marry they should be allowed to. end of.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Whoknos

All everyone here seems to be talking about is peoples' rights. And as has been mentioned the current system whereby straight people can marry but gays can't is discriminatory as it gives straight couples more rights than gay ones. But do you all really think that allowing them to marry or adopt children will lead to some form of equality? Seems far too simplistic for me tbh. I say let's create an actual equal society in this regard, but the following points must be adhered to if we are to achieve this:
    1. Fine, let the gays get married if they want. This may seem fine on the face of it, but to ensure equality, the mothers of all gay children must constantly nag and harass their off spring to find a spouse from the age of 20 onwards, they must also attempt to belittle the confidence of said off spring by pointing regularly to the spouses of their friends, and pointing out the reasons and character flaws which are stopping them finding a mate.
    2. On the issue of adoption, if a gay couple are in a happy relationship and wish to raise a child, then fine, give them full access to the adoption services and whatever other assistance which would be granted a similar straight couple. Again, however, this does not go far enough. Such a policy does not create equality, and more importantly, is just no fun at all. So in the interests of equality, where a gay couple are getting on fine and enjoying all the aspects of being young, free and gay, we can just foist children upon them to raise. We could call it crisis adoption, or something more fitting and hilarious if you like.
    If the above is followed, we can truly pride ourselves on an equal, and more entertaining society.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Whoknos wrote: »
    All everyone here seems to be talking about is peoples' rights. And as has been mentioned the current system whereby straight people can marry but gays can't is discriminatory as it gives straight couples more rights than gay ones. But do you all really think that allowing them to marry or adopt children will lead to some form of equality? Seems far too simplistic for me tbh. I say let's create an actual equal society in this regard, but the following points must be adhered to if we are to achieve this:
    1. Fine, let the gays get married if they want. This may seem fine on the face of it, but to ensure equality, the mothers of all gay children must constantly nag and harass their off spring to find a spouse from the age of 20 onwards, they must also attempt to belittle the confidence of said off spring by pointing regularly to the spouses of their friends, and pointing out the reasons and character flaws which are stopping them finding a mate.
    2. On the issue of adoption, if a gay couple are in a happy relationship and wish to raise a child, then fine, give them full access to the adoption services and whatever other assistance which would be granted a similar straight couple. Again, however, this does not go far enough. Such a policy does not create equality, and more importantly, is just no fun at all. So in the interests of equality, where a gay couple are getting on fine and enjoying all the aspects of being young, free and gay, we can just foist children upon them to raise. We could call it crisis adoption, or something more fitting and hilarious if you like.
    If the above is followed, we can truly pride ourselves on an equal, and more entertaining society.

Quite entertaining

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

If you don't agree with gay marriage, don't marry a gay person. Otherwise mind your own fecking business.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭RiseToTheTop

It's weird what'll happen though.

As far as I know before in history gay marriage has never been legalized. It's a first step.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

homosexual can't reproduce naturally. that they need the opposite sex to have a child just shows the natural order within the human race.
    its time society woke up to the fact and stopped wanting us to believe homosexuality is natural.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

You know this quote? I'm not gay, although I wish I were, just to piss off homophobes.

Well, this kinda makes me glad I'm a transsexual lesbian atheist, because **** YOU bigots!! :pac:

homosexual can't reproduce naturally. that they need the opposite sex to have a child just shows the natural order within the human race.
    its time society woke up to the fact and stopped wanting us to believe homosexuality is natural.

Does that mean heterosexual couples who cannot reproduce naturally are not normal either?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Breeders need to cut back on the amount of kids they are having...we will soon be smothered under the demands of our growing population.

Do the world a favour, wrap that **** up.

Also - regarding the "natural" concept...there is same sex intercourse in the animal kingdom as well. Hell, a horny dog will hump your leg.

People need to get over the connection between sex and the resultant sprogs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

So should straight couples have to undergo fertility tests before they're allowed to marry?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Gay marraige is wrong, full stop. I don't consider myself conservative or a gay basher, but gay marraige is unnatural. It's not just the religious aspect of it, itvis also the social. If countries allow this to happen, and in some cases it has, society will simply become disturbed. Marraige is sacred between man and woman. Now in my opinion there are many straight people who only consider marraige simply a day out and before you know it divorce papers are on the table. Divorce in my opinion was the worst thing to happen to this country. Marraige should be for life between man and woman, who then may create a family of their own by reproducing. Gay's can't do that, simply because life wasn't created that way. full stop. I say that with obviously no disrespect to childless hetro couples.

Here's what will happen when gay people are allowed marry. ready?

gay people will get married.

thats it. go about your business, keep calm and chive on.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I suggest that you google 'homosexuality in nature'. If it's unnatural then you should really go and tell the thousands of animal species that engage in homosexual behaviour - up to adopting and raising young in the case of some of them - that they're all being unnatural.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Babybuff

y'know sometimes homosexuals don't want to reproduce, sometimes they just want to have really great sex and or a very loving relationship.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Babybuff wrote: »
    y'know sometimes homosexuals don't want to reproduce, sometimes they just want to have really great sex and or a very loving relationship.

Absolutely, indeed sometimes heterosexuals don't want to reproduce either - perhaps they should be forbidden to marry too...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

Originally Posted by tatranska viewpost.gif

What is unnatural about it, it is a consensual sexual urge and desire that does nobody any harm, the opposite actually a good sex life does a person a lot of good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

There's plenty of hetero couples who can't reproduce naturally, are you going to deny them IVF?

There's plenty of hetero couples who can't reproduce naturally, are you going to deny them IVF?

Or tell them that they are an abomination? The fertility issue seems to be the deciding factor here - "gay people are freaks bc they cant reproduce". I say boll*cks to that. Some straight people cannot reproduce and even more straight people shouldnt lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Divorce in my opinion was the worst thing to happen to this country.

Cheers, love. My parents' divorce was the best thing that they ever did (except create yours truly :p ). They're both remarried happily and have been for over a decade.

Don't bitch about things you don't understand. It makes the world an angry place to be.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Divorce in my opinion was the worst thing to happen to this country.

Even worse than the potato famine? Really????:eek::confused::eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Worst things to happen to Ireland:
    Divorce
    FF
    Potatoe Famine

Have I for that right???

Cheers, love. My parents' divorce was the best thing that they ever did (except create yours truly :p ). They're both remarried happily and have been for over a decade.

Don't bitch about things you don't understand. It makes the world an angry place to be.

I wish my parent's had gotten a divorce - it would have made for a much happier life for everyone in our house.

efb wrote: »
    Worst things to happen to Ireland:
    Divorce
    FF
    Potatoe Famine

Have I for that right???

What about Jedward?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

iguana wrote: »
    What about Jedward?

Theyre surely after the potato famine since they came 8th in Eurovision- restoring national pride and all that...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

They seem to think divorce is new to Ireland...so i wouldn't worry too much about how they scale it with regard to impact.

In fact one could argue that not granting a particular divorce was one of the worst things that ever happened to Ireland.

If Henry VIII had been granted the annulment of his marriage to Catherine of Aragon when he wanted it, he'd never have had to mess about creating his own version of Catholicism and the religious persecution that followed may never have happened.

iguana wrote: »
    In fact one could argue that not granting a particular divorce was one of the worst things that ever happened to Ireland.

If Henry VIII had been granted the annulment of his marriage to Catherine of Aragon when he wanted it, he'd never have had to mess about creating his own version of Catholicism and the religious persecution that followed may never have happened.

Even better one could argue that divorce was freely available in Gaelic Ireland (anyone interested can check out Fergus Kelly's Guide to Early Irish Law) and it was only after we were conquered by England that divorce became 'difficult'..
    BTW - the Gaelic Irish had no problem with people being homosexual either - Henry VIII had a big problem with it - so he made it punishable by death.
    The English brought us homophobia back in the 16th century - along with spuds and tobacco....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,913 ✭✭✭✭Stark

This Henry VIII guy sounds like an awful cunt.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

I think this thread proves beyond any doubt that the gay marriage proponents have overwhelmingly won the argument. The people against it are like the devoutly religious types you bump into every now and again, you listen and you just nod your head, but silently think they are not all there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

If the KILL ALL HUMANS part of the same sex marriage vows was removed would that help?

Advertisement