Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you miss ireland while you live in london?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

cashback wrote: »
    I have found that to be true. It feels like people here need a fortnight's notice to go for a few pints. Well, not everyone but in general, people are less spontaneous.

There are several things that play into this, though:
    • There's a lot more to do in London than just head out on the beer, so it's not necessarily the default plan on any given night. If you go to a lot of gigs or shows, you'll be planning weeks or months in advance anyway, and thus you know when you'll be free.
    • TFL is great, but people can be lazy about heading out at short notice if they know they've got an hour (or more) of travel in each direction (especially on a weeknight).
    • Some people agree to do half a dozen things on any given night and choose which one of them to do at the last minute, then bail on the rest. They're known colloquially as "bellends".

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

iamthe43 wrote: »
    I miss being able to leave my wallet, phone and keys at the bar when I go to the toilet or out for a smoke.
    There is absolutely no way I would leave my valuables on a bar anywhere in Ireland.
    I don’t miss the Irish way of doing things.
    The Irish way of doing things? What way is that?
    Every time i go back i can't believe how sh*t Ireland actually is in comparison to London, regardless of whether its Dublin or my hometown Limerick, how small minded and petty everyone is, how crap the transport is and how bloody expensive everything is there. Never sad to leave the place, but i'm very close to my family so the monthly trips home (as well as a few trips over for them) keep the relationships going.

That being said i'm lucky London is the city i happened to find a job in. I couldnt see myself living in any other city in England or indeed Europe now that i have a taste for London and i do look at the departure boards in airports and say to myself thank fck i'm flying back to London and not some of those other places like Manchester, Birmingham, Glasgow, etc.
    With all due respect, that is the biggest pile of uninformed ****e I’ve read on this site for some time.

Ireland is not ****. Not by a long way. I dare say you’ve not seen much of the world if you think things are really that bad there. Granted, transport needs investment, especially outside Dublin, but labelling the entire country as petty and small-minded is downright ridiculous. Don’t ever forget – you’re living in a city that elected Boris Johnson as its mayor. Take a moment to think about that before you go casting aspersions on an entire country.

As for “expensive” – Ireland is more expensive than London? Seriously?

Not content with espousing ignorant generalisations about Ireland, you’ve decided to have a swipe at the entire UK outside London too. Have you actually visited Glasgow or Manchester, for example? Because they’ve got a lot going for them and I’d quite happily live in either. Civilisation doesn’t end at the M25, you know.

I cannot stand this “everything about Ireland is utter ****e” attitude that I encounter all too often among Irish immigrants in the UK.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

djpbarry wrote: »
    There is absolutely no way I would leave my valuables on a bar anywhere in Ireland.

I was thinking the same thing :D
    Ireland is not ****. Not by a long way. I dare say you’ve not seen much of the world if you think things are really that bad there. Granted, transport needs investment, especially outside Dublin, but labelling the entire country as petty and small-minded is downright ridiculous. Don’t ever forget – you’re living in a city that elected Boris Johnson as its mayor. Take a moment to think about that before you go casting aspersions on an entire country.

It may not be fair to tar the entire country with that brush, but Ireland as a nation is most definitely small-c conservative and I can certainly understand that the feeling of freedom that moving to somewhere as culturally varied as London can make home look fairly rubbish by comparison. That said, it can be easy to forget that London has downsides too, or that there are other great places in the UK and the rest of Europe.

I know from my own experience that a much greater proportion of otherwise-sensible I knew in Cork would be making googly-eyes at me if I told them that I was off the beer for no particular reason than I would get here. I know where that reaction comes from, culturally, but it's still a pretty sad state of affairs.

I don't agree with everything Brianderruner said, but I do think that Ireland, despite the progress that has been made in terms of cultural diversity over the last 20 years or so, is conservative. I find it funny (in both the haha and the peculiar senses) that there are people I know today who still think that being a blow-in makes someone's opinions or actions less valid (in saying that, I'm biased as I've been a blow-in my entire life).

Yep. Not as much now as it was about 5 years ago, but when I moved over here four and a bit years ago the only thing that cost me more here than back home was rent.

Prices have come down in Ireland, I'll give you that, but I still find it shocking that if I head out for some food and a few drinks it will definitely cost me more in Cork or Dublin than it will here. It's not just that there are some great cheap food places here, it's that everyone at home has for some reason accepted that ~€5 for a drink is somehow normal (I assume this is because almost all social activity back home seems to orbit the pub, therefore people feel like they can't do much about it).

Fysh wrote: »
    It may not be fair to tar the entire country with that brush, but Ireland as a nation is most definitely small-c conservative...
    Relative to the UK? I really don’t know about that.

I suppose I’m comparing London to Dublin really, rather than the rest of the country. But, Brianderunner was referring to the whole of Ireland, so that includes Dublin, and I think it is absolutely ridiculous to label the entire population of Dublin as small-minded and petty – that’s just plain crazy.
    Prices have come down in Ireland, I'll give you that, but I still find it shocking that if I head out for some food and a few drinks it will definitely cost me more in Cork or Dublin than it will here.
    Well, that depends on where you go, but generally, yes, eating out in particular is very expensive in Ireland – I won’t dispute that. But factoring in all expenses, the huge rents alone would ensure that London is going to come out on top in the cost of living stakes.
    It's not just that there are some great cheap food places here, it's that everyone at home has for some reason accepted that ~€5 for a drink is somehow normal (I assume this is because almost all social activity back home seems to orbit the pub, therefore people feel like they can't do much about it).
    I don’t know about Cork, but there are plenty of places in Dublin where pints are far less than €5. To be honest, I would say the price of a pint in Dublin and London is comparable.

It may not be fair to tar the entire country with that brush, but Ireland as a nation is most definitely small-c conservative...
    Relative to the UK? I really don’t know about that.

I suppose I’m comparing London to Dublin really, rather than the rest of the country. But, Brianderunner was referring to the whole of Ireland, so that includes Dublin, and I think it is absolutely ridiculous to label the entire population of Dublin as small-minded and petty.

More generally, it’s ridiculously simplistic to say that London is amazing while everywhere else in the UK and Ireland is ****e. That is incredibly small-minded and there are enough native Londoners espousing such nonsense already without Irish immigrants joining them.

I should qualify all that by saying that I certainly don’t think Dublin (or Ireland) is amazing – there are plenty of things I don’t like about it. But, there are plenty of things I dislike about London too.
    Prices have come down in Ireland, I'll give you that, but I still find it shocking that if I head out for some food and a few drinks it will definitely cost me more in Cork or Dublin than it will here.
    Well, that depends on where you go, but generally, yes, eating out in particular is very expensive in Ireland – I won’t dispute that. But factoring in all expenses, the huge rents in London alone would ensure that London is going to come out on top in the cost of living stakes.
    It's not just that there are some great cheap food places here, it's that everyone at home has for some reason accepted that ~€5 for a drink is somehow normal (I assume this is because almost all social activity back home seems to orbit the pub, therefore people feel like they can't do much about it).
    I don’t know about Cork, but there are plenty of places in Dublin where pints are far less than €5. To be honest, I would say the price of a pint in Dublin and London is comparable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭Mc Kenzie

Very little i miss about Ireland tbh now after 14 months here in London. I fly home every month or so and do all the things i want to do, like sporting events, road races, etc, i.e. catch the highlights and skip the lowlights. Every time i go back i can't believe how sh*t Ireland actually is in comparison to London, regardless of whether its Dublin or my hometown Limerick, how small minded and petty everyone is, how crap the transport is and how bloody expensive everything is there. Never sad to leave the place, but i'm very close to my family so the monthly trips home (as well as a few trips over for them) keep the relationships going.

That being said i'm lucky London is the city i happened to find a job in. I couldnt see myself living in any other city in England or indeed Europe now that i have a taste for London and i do look at the departure boards in airports and say to myself thank fck i'm flying back to London and not some of those other places like Manchester, Birmingham, Glasgow, etc.

Where is your Patriotism man!

Gosh its as if some people who have moved to london from ireland have became snobbish" to Ireland it is rare tho. and i also find that silly that you would bash the rest of uk..have you been there! ugh. Manchester is a great place and the people in my opinion are quite nice.

I was born in london, basicly reared in ireland, and iv always to been proud of my routes even as i child before my family moved to ireland......shame on you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭iamthe43

What do you mean "shame on you"...The man is entitled to his opinion

And I kind of agree with him. It is very difficult not to notice the differences when one returns home to Ireland.

And London is, in my opinion, far from the best city in the UK, but if thats where the work is, then so be it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Don’t ever forget – you’re living in a city that elected Boris Johnson as its mayor. Take a moment to think about that before you go casting aspersions on an entire country.

Oi - Leave Boris out of it, he's a great geezer & a breath of fresh air compared to that old 'Red Ken', Boris has personally overseen the introduction of the new hop on/ hop off Bus for London, three cheers for Boris & his bus! Yes he's an accentric, and he's as mad as a box of frogs (but in a nice way) :)

>

Picture of the Boris Bus for London > http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/37/Boris_bus_rear.jpg

As somebody who spent many years in London/Greater London, my reply to the OP would be to enjoy yourself, steep yourself in the city and live the life, and I'm not talking 'loads a money' just the excitement of living in one of the most brilliant Cities in the world! Ireland will always be here to come back to, (it aint going anywhere you know). Live out your fanticies in London and get stuck in while you are still young :) find a new girl??? live together, live the life & build up a catalogue of memories for when you return to Ireland in twenty years time? London really is a great place to live & party, so go on and have a blast, I did, and I'm not sorry!

Of course you will be home sick from time to time, work may be scarce too, that goes without saying, but keep going and don't give up. I too remember the pain of seperation from family (and the girl friend), but Ireland is so close to London when you think about it, and you can count your lucky stars that you are in London (& not in Sydney), or some other City on the other side of the Planet. Ireland will be here for you when you return, and yes, it will seem very slow & behind the pace, (which it is) when compared to London, so when you come home for visits don't compare, and don't knock slow old Ireland, (everything is slow after living in London), so enjoy Dublin & Ireland for what it is, it aint London, and that's part of the beauty and the magic of coming Home.

PS; I think that bloke in the LBC clip is Irish!

Mod hat on:
    Alright lads, let's dial back the tempers a bit. If you think someonels posted something a bit silly by all means explain why you think they're wrong, but don't be rude or confrontational about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

The Irish way of doing things? What way is that?
    With all due respect, that is the biggest pile of uninformed ****e I’ve read on this site for some time.

Not content with espousing ignorant generalisations about Ireland, you’ve decided to have a swipe at the entire UK outside London too. Have you actually visited Glasgow or Manchester, for example? Because they’ve got a lot going for them and I’d quite happily live in either. Civilisation doesn’t end at the M25, you know.

I cannot stand this “everything about Ireland is utter ****e” attitude that I encounter all too often among Irish immigrants in the UK.

No temper from me, i'll try and explain my viewpoints.

The reason i think Ireland is sh*te is that i have seen a good part of the world (the western world at least), after visiting Toronto the penny really dropped and i haven't thought about Ireland the same since.

I've zero interest in politics (thank fck) so the Boris Johnson comment means nothing whatsoever to me, even if you have a point. Irish people are petty and small minded yes. The cultchies with their small town gossip and the Dubs with their superiority complex over the rest of the country. It makes me laugh when i see it from the outside looking in.

Dublin transport needs a huge amount of investing, it took me an hour to get from the main gate in Phoenix Park to Clontarf a few weeks ago, if that was London you can be sure there'd be a train nearby and i'd be there in minutes. Also don't get me started on getting to Dublin Airport. The Luas green line and the Dart/commuter line are the only things going for Dublin transport, the rest is a mess. My thesis was on Dublin transport so i know what i'm saying.

I wouldnt say i was having a pop at the rest of the uk, just in comparison to London i'm glad i'm not living in them, and yes i've been to all the big cities in the UK. I would rate Birmingham as a much better city than Dublin for example.

Rent aside, yes Ireland is definitely more expensive than London. I spend a fortune every time i'm home cause of the (as Fysh mentioned) 5 euro pints, and ripoff food in bars, taxi's etc due to the slow or non existant public transport.

At the end of the day it's all about opinions, if i think London is better and you think Ireland is then fair enough, no need to have a drawn out argument about it. We can agree to disagree.

• Advertisement

Irish people are petty and small minded yes. The cultchies with their small town gossip and the Dubs with their superiority complex over the rest of the country.
    Dude, people can be petty and small minded, yes. Country folk with their small town gossip and the city-dwellers with their superiority complex. That can apply to any country. Londoners don’t have a superiority complex? Parisians? New Yorkers?
    Dublin transport needs a huge amount of investing, it took me an hour to get from the main gate in Phoenix Park to Clontarf a few weeks ago, if that was London you can be sure there'd be a train nearby and i'd be there in minutes.
    My missus’ folks live about a 15 minute drive from us here in London. Doing the journey by public transport takes about an hour. That doesn’t mean London transport is a mess.

That’s not to say that public transport in Dublin doesn’t need improving, but picking one particular journey to illustrate your point is a bit silly.
    I would rate Birmingham as a much better city than Dublin for example.
    I doubt you will find many people will agree with you. If Birmingham is so much better than Dublin, you’d think it would feature a little higher on quality of life indices, wouldn’t you? Granted, such surveys should be taken with a pinch of salt, but Dublin is consistently ranked higher than any UK city.
    Rent aside, yes Ireland is definitely more expensive than London.
    That’s kind of silly – you can’t say if we ignore x, y and z, London is cheap. Eating out in London is cheaper because people have less disposable income than in Dublin, for example.
    At the end of the day it's all about opinions, if i think London is better and you think Ireland is...
    I didn’t say that. What I said was that I don’t believe Ireland is ****e. That’s not patriotism, that’s just common sense. Personally, I don’t really have a preference between London and Dublin – there are pros and cons to both.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

Why are people even comparing Ireland to London? London is a megacity and one of the most important and powerful cities in the world, which houses all walks of life.
    I think Dublin is great, lovely people and a nice setting in the bay. The pub tran is crap but I can cycle from my parents house to town at a relaxed pace in 25 minutes. I can hastily lock my bike wherever I want and it never got touched in 7 years. I found it cheaper to get good food in Dublin before I left than it is here, in a sit down nice restauant that is. I also find the service in restaurants and bars far superior in Dublin.
    Either way they both have their good points, people saying Ireland and Dublin are sh*t because they don't have a tube or every race and nation under the sun living there are foolish really, it's like comparing chalk and cheese.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

This little shop in Tooting sells Tayto, Club Orange and all thing Irish!

Ah, that looks like Mandy's to me. Used to frequent it often, excellent shop.

old hippy wrote: »
    Ah, that looks like Mandy's to me. Used to frequent it often, excellent shop.

Cool! Not too far from Brixton, might cycle over at the weekend :D

BraziliaNZ wrote: »

Not too far at all. It's the oddest place, they have all the regional papers, food, softdrinks, claddagh rings and statues of Mary :)

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭duffarama

There's an Irish shop in East Dulwich as well which would be a nice cycle from Brixton as well, on Lordship Lane. You could check out Herne Hill on the way, nice little part of London

duffarama wrote: »
    There's an Irish shop in East Dulwich as well which would be a nice cycle from Brixton as well, on Lordship Lane. You could check out Herne Hill on the way, nice little part of London

Yeah HH is near, I'm the Brixton side of Brockwell, it's nice around there but the pubs are a bit too middle classy yummy mummy for my liking!

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭duffarama

Yeah HH is near, I'm the Brixton side of Brockwell, it's nice around there but the pubs are a bit too middle classy yummy mummy for my liking!

There's 1 place near there which isn't, the Half Moon is a nice spit and sawdust kinda place. Without spit or sawdust... :rolleyes:

I live in West Dulwich, I have zero options for a pint near the house! The 2 bars beside me are dreadfully middle class and devoid of atmosphere. I tend to drink in Tulse Hill if I want something 'local'

Have you checked out the Prince Albert, yet?

Have you checked out the Prince Albert, yet?

Yeah they do nice Guinness but it's not my type of place. A bit too posh for my liking. It's the ultimate gastro pub!
    I saw Tracey Barlow there recently from Coronation st if anyone knows who she is, she eyed me up! Pretty hot in real life too, very tall, she lives in East Dulwich

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Yeah they do nice Guinness but it's not my type of place. A bit too posh for my liking. It's the ultimate gastro pub!
    I saw Tracey Barlow there recently from Coronation st if anyone knows who she is, she eyed me up! Pretty hot in real life too, very tall, she lives in East Dulwich

The Tracey before her use to live around there one time

The Tracey before her use to live around there one time

God, she hasn't been on it in about 20 years!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

God, she hasn't been on it in about 20 years!

and it be 17 years since I lived in that part of London,

Posh? Must have changed a bit since I was last there :D I remember it being full of urban punks, smokers and anarchist types...

Posh? Must have changed a bit since I was last there :D I remember it being full of urban punks, smokers and anarchist types...

It's the ultimate gastro pub now. Extremely middle class. A main course there is about 16 quid for e.g.
    The Prince Albert on Coldharbour lane on the other hand is the complete opposite, more my kind of boozer!

Even the website is posh

http://theprinceregent.co.uk/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭iamthe43

If your looking for a tasty pint of Guinness, try the Ship Tavern in Holburn. The elders tell me that the owner is a Guinness drinking Galway man.

If your looking for a tasty pint of Guinness, try the Ship Tavern in Holburn.
    The Ship is almost always rammed.

If you want a pint of stout cheaper and better than Guinness, go to The Cittie of Yorke or The Princess Louise, both on High Holborn.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

Ooh, lots of good suggestions for pubs in all areas. Maybe we should have a pub review thread? ;)

I miss Ireland if I haven't been home for a long period. The longest for me was 6 months. I miss family, friends and the cats. I don't miss my home town but I miss Cork city. I don't miss RTE or TK lemonade, but I miss not being present at important birthdays, engagements and nights out.

I don't miss paycuts, rising prices, non-stop recession talk, everyone knowing your business and a lack of choice and opportunity.

I'm very proud of being Irish and always sing praises of Ireland's wonderful culture, history and achievements. That said, I'm happy I made the move and don't see myself leaving London anytime soon. :)

Is the ship the one that plays really loud punk music near covent garden?

• Advertisement

It's the ultimate gastro pub now. Extremely middle class. A main course there is about 16 quid for e.g.
    The Prince Albert on Coldharbour lane on the other hand is the complete opposite, more my kind of boozer!

Even the website is posh

http://theprinceregent.co.uk/

Ah, crossed lines - was talking about the one on Coldharbour Lane :D

Advertisement