Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Through the m50 toll 20 times without paying

Options
  • 09-01-2012 12:36am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 892 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

My brother has travelled through the m50 toll at least 20 times without paying over the past year. He said he forgot each time.

I told him the possible fines escalate hugely and he has started paying now.

What kind of fine could he be looking at now? Will they get debt collectors after him?

Strangely, he says he has received no letters about his as of yet.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,700 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Most likely a over a grand. Is the car not registered at his home address?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,362 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Motorist wrote: »
    My brother has travelled through the m50 toll at least 20 times without paying over the past year. He said he forgot each time.

How does he remember how to dress himself, or drive for that matter?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Motorist

coylemj wrote: »
    How does he remember how to dress himself, or drive for that matter?

Good question. I got him paying now anyway, better late than never. Havent received anything yet unless there is a delay.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭puppetmaster

They can Get fairly serious about it alright. sounds as if he's not registered to the address he's livin in, their on the ball with the letters. Even got a few that weren't for my reg lol.

Id advise talking to them. Longer it goes on (assuming its been recorded which is a safe assumption) the fines Gather and double up quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Well if he hasn't received a letter then he shouldn't worry about it.;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Tell 'your brother' to contact eflow and sort it out, and to put oil in your, sorry, his car

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Motorist

Danbo! wrote: »
    Tell 'your brother' to contact eflow and sort it out, and to put oil in your, sorry, his car

Ha I've had an e-tag since 2008 for work. Does read like that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

I forgot to pay two weeks ago and am still waiting on a letter.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Is the car not registered at his home address?
    ^This. If it's not registered at his home address, that's why he hasn't gotten any letters, and once it gets passed on to solicitors and/or debt-collectors, they will find him.

If it is registered at his home address, he may have just gotten very, very lucky.

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

I just called eFlow and paid my toll. The representative told me that there is no obligation on them to send a notice and that it is a reminder only. I got away without a penalty this time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Motorist wrote: »
    He said he forgot each time.
    20 trips * €50 (not paying the toll) fine = €1000 and then add on the late charges... lots of money.

When he does pay it all off, tell him to set up a post-pay video account linked to his bank account that takes the money out automatically when he goes through the M50 toll.

It's not a EUR 50 penalty:
    Penalties

To avoid any penalties, we strongly recommend that you register for an electronic tag or a video (number plate) account. These are the cheapest and easiest ways to pay the toll.

For unregistered users, if you don't pay your toll before 8pm on the day following your journey, a penalty of €3 is added to the outstanding amount.

If you fail to pay the toll and this €3 penalty within the next 14 days, a further penalty of €40.00 will be levied.

Failure to pay the full amount due within a further 56 days will result in an additional €100.50 penalty. Then if you still have not paid the total amount due, legal proceedings will be initiated.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭V Eight

Contact them and explain the situation - they can be quite reasonable particulary if you commit to signing up for an electronic tag or a video account.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

V Eight wrote: »
    Contact them and explain the situation - they can be quite reasonable particulary if you commit to signing up for an electronic tag or a video account.
    A lot of rubbish posted on this thread so far, this is the best advice.

If you've built up a lot of arrears and you proactively go engage with eFlow then you almost certainly will not have to pay €146.50 x 20 in late payments and penalties. I have one friend who was in a similar situation and when he started getting letters from Pierse & Fitzgibbon Solicitors (eFlow's legal eagles) and they offered him a compromise of paying the €3 toll with no late fees for each unpaid toll if he just signed up for a video account.

If you don't engage with eFlow though, you will be taken to court and have the book thrown at you.

Advertisement