Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

R4i Questions/Concerns

Options
  • 09-01-2012 12:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

So this past weekend, I attended MAGfest (a gaming convention on the east coast of the US) and I bought an R4 card from one of the vendors, specifically an R4i Unlimited Upgradable (it is white with black dots). He said (and it says on the card as well ) that it works for the 3DS. Being completely new to this (but not to ROMS), I asked if it came with any firmware or if I had to manually obtain it from a website. He said the latter was correct and that the website was located in the card (www.R4I-SDHC.HK).

After arriving home from the convention, I unpack my things and set to work on trying to figure what I can about R4 cards. I go to the website on the card (which is a Hong Kong website) and easily find the latest firmware (V1.4.3F posted on 12-28-11).

This is where things begin to confuse/frustrate me.

Every link to anything downloadable on that website is broken. They all time-out/404. From my research about R4 cards, it is imperative that the right firmware be used for the right card, so I can't just throw something on my micro-sd from the english website (r4i-sdhc.com). So, I am at a loss as for what to do.

If anybody has ANY idea on what to do, or if someone knows where to find a non-broken link to the latest firmware, I would be EXTREMELY grateful. My younger brother bought one as well, so I'm working with his also. I not entirely sure what else to do at this point, since Google seems to give me very little on this card specifically. I've learned a lot on how the cards work in a general sense, but if anyone on this site can give me more information on this one card specifically, that would be great.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

that site is working fine for me and downloads with no problem (a little slowly)
    do you have a dropbox or something and i will upload for you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Surio

I just checked the site out after your post and it does in fact seem to be working now. Thanks for the upload offer, but since the links are now working, I'll just download it. Thank you very much :)

So I got everything downloaded and running for the most part. My only concern at this point is that when I loaded a GBA game onto the card, put it into my 3DS, and tried running the game, it says "No flash cartridge in slot 2". I know that in the old DS's there was a second slot known as slot 2 for GBA games and such. But since I have a 3DS, I don't have any other slot. Any ideas on what is going on? ie, is there some option I have to change?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Surio wrote: »
    So I got everything downloaded and running for the most part. My only concern at this point is that when I loaded a GBA game onto the card, put it into my 3DS, and tried running the game, it says "No flash cartridge in slot 2". I know that in the old DS's there was a second slot known as slot 2 for GBA games and such. But since I have a 3DS, I don't have any other slot. Any ideas on what is going on? ie, is there some option I have to change?

The R4 card isn't compatible with Slot 2 software, there's only one flash card that is & it has additional ram or some extra hardware iirc.

Regards problems running copyright protected games, it's against the rules set out in the charter to discuss how to pirate etc.

Ah, ok. Thank you anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 JOEOLEARY

Hi there. I'm having the same trouble regarding the website. I can get to the site but none of the links are working. Any idea if i can get the firmware anywhere else or does anyone have it and would let me copy it?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 JOEOLEARY

Thanks a million subway, i got the firmware and it works on a dsi xl but not a 3ds. I'm sorry to be a pain but have you any ideas? The card says R4i unlimited upgrade revolution for Ds ( 3ds/Ndsi/Ndsl/Nds).

Huge thanks for the link.

It says there is an upgrade but i can't make sense of their English.
    This is it if you want to give it a try link removed by me

i just got the link on Google so do a full virus scan on it.

The other thing is maybe you updated your 3ds to an unsupported version?

Be very wary of google links/hotfile links & all that megaupload crap. They can be easily infested with virii & other major headaches - you have been warned :)

• Advertisement

the HK site is back up now, I've downloaded the firmware update for anyone who needs it
    http://www.4shared.com/rar/O_wIfvDb/r4i_updatepack_3ds3005.html

both this and the previous 4shared links are my own uploads of the firmware from the original so are safe, tested and checked as far as i'm concerned, but obviously, do your own checks before using them...

Seesee wrote: »
    IV

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭Seesee

Sorry last one was an error. I've entered a query on this topic here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056521311
    would appreciate if the posters on this thread could take a look see if they have any suggestions. thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Lori05

Hi guys! I have recently puchased a r4i sdhc 3d, i have a dsi filmware version 1.4.3, the website is not working for me does anyone have the latest kernal for this card help!
    thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

Lori05 wrote: »
    Hi guys! I have recently puchased a r4i sdhc 3d, i have a dsi filmware version 1.4.3, the website is not working for me does anyone have the latest kernal for this card help!
    thanks!

PM sent... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 41 coopershels

hey there,

i hope someone can help me on this, it's a bit strange.

i got 2 r4i renovation v2.20 cards last year and they were working fine. the two kids then got a 3ds each and at first they did not work after i stupidly updated the 3ds's. i updated the firmware and renewed all the games and then the card displays as chronicles of narnia but only one of them works on the 3ds( both are still working on the ds lite) on the menu of the r4i renovation it does not give you the option to upgrade when you go into configure, it just says configure or skin. is there a way of updating the game cart( not the firmware on the micro sd )

p.s i have tried switching the micro sd cards between the two r4i's to no avail, it is still the one game cart.

any ideas?? my head is melting so any help would be greatly appreciated......

Advertisement