Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Publican shoots hounds

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Landscape wrote: »
    The huntsman was going to take the hounds off straight away before he shoot them. He gave them no chance

Whether it's a hunt or an individual dog owner, if you can't control your pack then tough shít.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Landscape

The huntsman was going to take the hounds off straight away before he shoot them. He gave them no chance

Whether it's a hunt or an individual dog owner, if you can't control your pack then tough shít.
    Why couldn't he at least try and give them the chance to control them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Got multiple warnings in the past

And then went ahead and did it again.

It should be the hunt paying that two thousand euro award

idunnoshur wrote: »
    What do you all make of this?.

I think he's a stupid bastard.. In fact I'd like to take his shotgun and beat him to a pulp with the blunt end.
    Anyone with a bit of decency would think the same as you. FairPlay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Hunts routinely pay compensation to farmers for damage to lands.

Also it's very easy to steer a horse off someone's property, but it's not always easy to control a pack of (in fairness, pretty stupid) foxhounds trained to chase a scent. They can't exactly be hunted with leads.

• Advertisement

Why couldn't he at least try and give them the chance to control them?

'Control' is the key word there, he shouldn't be in a position where he losses control at all the idiot. Losing control of one dog is bad enough, but losing control of a pack of hounds? Well that's just plain incompetence.

mikemac1 wrote: »

Got multiple warnings in the past

And then went ahead and did it again.

Didn't intentily do it. They were going to be taken off straight away.

'Control' is the key word there, he shouldn't be in a position where he losses control at all the idiot.
    Funny, I would have said the same thing about the publican who was "at breaking point"

If he was going to shoot them, stupid as that would be, he should have used a proper gun and put a dog or two out of its misery. Shooting a dog with an air rifle is mindless cruelty that causes nothing but agony for the dog, who understands nothing of the ethics (or lack of ethics, some would say) in hunting foxes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

He'd have to leave the country if they were my dogs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Jake Rugby Walrus666

Does this guy own a business?

And is it any particular type of business?

• Advertisement

Does this guy own a business?

And is it any particular type of business?

Who, the publican?

later10 wrote: »
    Funny, I would have said the same thing about the publican who was "at breaking point"

If he was going to shoot them, stupid as that would be, he should have used a proper gun and put a dog or two out of its misery. Shooting a dog with an air rifle is mindless cruelty that causes nothing but agony for the dog, who understands nothing of the ethics (or lack of ethics, some would say) in hunting foxes.

I wasn't discussing the publican, but rather the idiots who can't control their hounds. But since you mentioned the publican, he really should not have shot the hounds at all. It would have been much more preferably, to put a couple of pellets in the master of the hunts ass.

later10 wrote: »
    Who, the publican?

yeah.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,578 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

yeah.

Well he's a 'publican' so yes he owns a business. The title 'publican' is the key there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

I think the man did the right thing, it was obvious that there was no respect being had for his land and if anything he made a mistake in the whole thing.

When you are dealing with dogs like this you must evaluate whether or not the owners are reasonable people and and you have to ask yourself do I ask them to remove the dogs and then prejudice myself myself if they refuse to the deal with the situation.

Farmers with sheep have this problem regularly and the solution often employed is shoot the dog on sight and dump the carcass and leave the dog to have "disappeared" and let its careless owner be looking for it then. Reporting the dogs to careless owners only leaves you open to suspicion and prosecution when you re left with no choice but to shoot them anyway. That judge was a disgrace to prosecute this man and he should have prosecuted the dog owners for failing to keep their dogs under control.

Blay wrote: »
    Well he's a 'publican' so yes he owns a business. The title 'publican' is the key there.

I bet you passed your junior cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,578 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

I bet you passed your junior cert.

So says the guy who asked if a publican owned a business:pac:

Blay wrote: »
    So says the guy who asked if a publican owned a business:pac:

Might of been a bit too subtle for you. I'll throw some memes at you in future. Maybe blast em with piss and yore ma makes you laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

He should have brought Rachel Allen along with him, she appears to be a fairly good shot.

Stinicker wrote: »
    Farmers with sheep have this problem regularly and the solution often employed is shoot the dog on sight
    There is logic behind this, as was already mentioned. Specifically

(i) The dog is killed outright, or ideally so.
    (ii) Reasonable cause: a valuable sheep will die; sheep vs dog: sheep trumps dog.
    (iii)A dog who chases sheep is likely to re-offend, it's ridiculously difficult to get him out of the habit.

In the case of this dog, the man used an air rifle. That's not going to kill a dog. Nor were the dogs themselves the instigators of the chase. It's the people who put the dogs there, therefore, with whom this man has a problem.

What this man did was the equivalent of my kicking your dog just because I have a problem with you.

• Advertisement

Might of been a bit too subtle for you. I'll throw some memes at you in future. Maybe blast em with piss and yore ma makes you laugh.
    Wait that was supposed to be a joke?

But, it wasn't funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Dog owners are meant to keep their animals under effective control. They're also meant to keep them off other peoples land, I never saw any amendment to that act that said twats on horses are exempt, so yeah, the hunt are responsible.

Had this been a farmer that had shot a pack of dogs on his land it would never had gone to court.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Stinicker wrote: »
    Farmers with sheep have this problem regularly and the solution often employed is shoot the dog on sight and dump the carcass and leave the dog to have "disappeared" and let its careless owner be looking for it then. Reporting the dogs to careless owners only leaves you open to suspicion and prosecution when you re left with no choice but to shoot them anyway. That judge was a disgrace to prosecute this man and he should have prosecuted the dog owners for failing to keep their dogs under control.

If they have attacked sheep, the farmer will shoot them and try to identify the owners. There's no point in doing the "disappeared" bit as it wont put money back in the farmers pocket. A friend of my fathers lost 35 heavily pregnant sheep to a dog attack (more than one dog) last year. The Gardai were very proactive in trying to trace the owners. Had the one dog that was shot checked for microchip. Unfortunately, as the farm was located just outside Cork city, the Gardai's story is that a lot of dogs were being dumped in the countryside because the owners cant afford to feed them. They are roaming "in packs" then when they get hungry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

A pack of hounds like that can easily tear a child apart in in minutes, they were out of control and the farmer was wrong to use an air rifle, he should have had a shotgun and dispatched the animals properly. The person responsible for those hounds needs to be sacked as they are obviously useless at what they do and I would also think the judge may have been sympathetic to the harriers because it is the sort of activity that judges and other such professionals get involved in.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

foggy_lad wrote: »
    A pack of hounds like that can easily tear a child apart in in minutes, they were out of control and the farmer was wrong to use an air rifle, he should have had a shotgun and dispatched the animals properly. The person responsible for those hounds needs to be sacked as they are obviously useless at what they do and I would also think the judge may have been sympathetic to the harriers because it is the sort of activity that judges and other such professionals get involved in.

No they won't attacks humans but if they see an animal they will go for it.

I love dogs but I wouldn't want hunting dogs on my property as they could be a threat to my animals.

How did the dogs get onto the land? Did the owners not have control over them? Where they left unsupervised? I'd be pissed off if 20 trespassed. I do think the landowner was right to shoot them, he complained numerous times. Not with an air rifle though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Hunts should'nt a loud to hunt, its cruel a bunch of snobby stuck up horsey folk riding around after a terrified fox.... :rolleyes:

its not like they eat it or anything... Which would be fair enough....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Snowie wrote: »
    Hunts should'nt a loud to hunt, its cruel a bunch of snobby stuck up horsey folk riding around after a terrified fox.... :rolleyes:

its not like they eat it or anything... Which would be fair enough....

I agree entirely, I don't get the satisfaction of watching a bunch of dogs ripping apart a smaller canine.

Top Gear played a game of British Bulldog where a bunch of hounds hunted a car instead of foxes :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Traonach wrote: »
    Those west Brit hunts think they own the countryside

? People have been hunting with dogs a lot longer before the Normans arrived.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

What an idiot. Most reasonable people allow the hound master a certain amount of time to gather the pack together and remove them.

Dogs don't get land right law.

The article states that the land owner had made a number of complaints so it would appear that the hound master and those involved with the hunt had been informed of the problem a number of times and still did nothing to respect private land.

I don't agree with animals being shot, but I don't agree with a man having to put up with his private property being trespassed upon a number of times despite him making it clear that he was not giving anyone permission to do so.

I wonder how many of those on here who are slagging off the land owner or Makiomi making comments about beating him to a pulp would react/feel if they had land that was trespassed upon a number of times by a pack of dogs. I wonder how they would feel if one of their own cats/dogs/rabbits or whatever got ripped to shreds by a pack of hunting dogs that were on private land.

Given that the man made numerous complaints, there should be serious questions asked of the hunt master and/or whoever was meant to be in charge of the dogs each time they managed to end up on this man's land.

Or maybe it is just ok to let packs of dogs onto private land and the land owners just have to put up with their land being used without permission.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

IvySlayer wrote: »
    I agree entirely, I don't get the satisfaction of watching a bunch of dogs ripping apart a smaller canine.

Top Gear played a game of British Bulldog where a bunch of hounds hunted a car instead of foxes :pac:

Thats part of the reason but i used to live in a hunting area You have to put up with half a mile of range rovers and ignorant wanker who take up the hole road...

now thats ok if you in a car but if your in a tractor carrying a load its a pain in the fvcking arse :mad:

no respect for know one and stuck up

and they take enjoyment of hurting creatures i like meet I'm not a vegi btu real hunter eat what they catch :mad:

Advertisement