Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applied Languages in UL?? (LM044)

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Bonbon1995

Was that learned reply from a UL student?
    Leaving cert student who isn't afraid of a bit of research actually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 casual observer

Well, when you get round to doing the Leaving Cert, read each question carefully, then answer it, a brief statement of your opinion won't suffice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 621 ✭✭✭if832uspx4eogt

Hi, sorry for reviving this old thread but I'm very confused! The UL website is very confusing.

Basically, I'm stuck between these three courses:

- Applied Lanuages
    - European Studies
    - Language and Literature

What I want to do is study French & Spanish (at beginners level). Maybe a bit of culture study in those courses as well.
    By the end, I'd like to work in some section of tourism or international relations, something like that.

I'd love a good grounding in those two languages, but I'd also like to study a few other modules as well around the culture, history of the languages etc.

I was leaning towards European Studies, but I'm really not interested in Law. Applied Languages looks good but very intense. I don't know much about Language and Literature. The website is extremely vague.

If anyone can offer any insight, that would be so good. Feel free to PM either! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22 doneanddusted

Hi Mumpty,

French is not offered at beginner's level in AL, proabbly not in the other two either but I can only speak for AL.

Spanish is, as is Japanese.

German and Irish are offered at advanced level. Though maybe german is offered at beginners level. I don't think so as along with french it is one of the most common european languages in Irish secondary schools so that is why. It is assumed you will have studied it at that level.

Advanced level basically means you have studied it to LC level and can continue on. It does not mean much really.

Hope that helps.

probably*

• Advertisement

There should be a Q and A section on UL's website where the course director responds to queries but as it's around exam time now they're probably not able to make time for it. However, previous queries should still be visible.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Midkemia

German is offered at beginners level

There you go Mumpty

Also, it's 4 years down the line but I think UL also have a Masters in International Relations. Both French and Spanish would be great for this. Any language would be I suppose but especially two which are spoken so widely.

Spanish is also offered at advanced level in case you were wondering.

Advertisement