Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HS2 given go-ahead to start construction in 2016

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,690 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

GB does not have an equivalent anti rail lobby as we have here. No one dresses up in lederhosen and promotes the ripping up of railway tracks in England!

But the UK doesn't have 1.1 million free loader passes in circulation and all Irish towns except Cork and Dublin mainly are like villages compared to town in UK with a decent rail service.

As UK people pay higher fares as well and passengers are still increasing with the increased costs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

There is a lot of hot air anti HS2 lobby in England. Mainly NIMBY's. I met David Higgins once, strikes me as a doer and very capable

Higgins...hmm....Irish name....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,123 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

He is Austrailian so proabably has some Irish ancestry

• Registered Users Posts: 19,638 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

corktina wrote: »
    Also the man in charge is asking for the Birmingham to Crewe section to be brought forward to stimulate the economy of that area.

This is proper rail investment. No "build and they will come" there!

Yeah I think the new plan to fast track the northern section of the line beyond Birmingham is a clever one from a political perspective- by building both lines at the same time the London establishment avoids northern allegations of being London-centric and they can point to how they're investing billions in northern infrastructure at the same time as the southern infrastructure.

The finish date for the line north of Birmingham had been something like 2032, under the new plan they claim 2024-2025 which is a lot more palatable.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,037 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

GB does not have an equivalent anti rail lobby as we have here. No one dresses up in lederhosen and promotes the ripping up of railway tracks in England!
    thankfully not anymore, they did have such people though, their either not alive, are irrelevant, or saw sense

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Advertisement

One word for you "sustrans" ...google it!
    would they not fit into the irrelevant category? i know they have some greenways on railways all ready but they could easily be moved, NR just refuse to allow them to use any more land if they don't move of wherever if a railway that their using is to be reopened

Oh yes...the same Sustrans who lobbied to stop the BRT in Belfast from running down the old BCDR line to Newtownards because of the Comber Greenway? Sustrans made sure that the old railway line could never be used for public transport again because a greenway was occupying the old permanent way. Now the BRT will run along the already busy Newtownards road instead of the railway line.

Oh don't worry "Corky" I googled Sustrans a long time ago.
    is their no legal mechanism to move them? unfortunate

The old lines are their property...and much use is made of them. My point is of course that the cycle path lobby is alive and very well indeed in the UK , completely the opposite to the position alleged in post 87. They have many ex-railways under their control and more to come.

The old lines are their property...and much use is made of them. My point is of course that the cycle path lobby is alive and very well indeed in the UK , completely the opposite to the position alleged in post 87. They have many ex-railways under their control and more to come.
    i see, but if NR need the land again their should be a mechanism by which they should be able to get it back, anyone who uses railway land for another purpose should be made to realize their a tenant and the railway can take it back if they need to, i take it this can't happen with the land this particular lobby control?

They aren't tenants and I'd say more people use them than ever did when it was a railway. These paths are huge over there.

Slightly different but related in an Irish context, there was a program on the box the other night about the Kennet and Avon Canal which was reopened about 25 years ago and the towpath and water alike were like rush hour! Meanwhile the Royal and the Grand et al slumber...

I'm not a cyclist but the benefits are so obvious it is unbelievable that more isn't done here in a similar vein

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,123 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

The railway took back ownership of the closed Airdrie to Bathgate line in Scotland from Sustrans. A new cycle path was built beside the reopened railway

http://www.sustrans.org.uk/ncn/map/route/airdrie-to-bathgate-railway-path

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Copyerselveson

I'm sure you did not mean to distort what I said Corktina, so here's post 87 again for clarification purposes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Copyerselveson

Sustrans aren't too popular in Railway preservation circles in England. Have a look at the linked discussion thread:

https://www.national-preservation.com/threads/sustrans-and-railways.26563/

I'm sure you did not mean to distort what I said Corktina, so here's post 87 again for clarification purposes:

I didn't distort what you said. I'm not aware of an anti-rail lobby here at all with the exception of those who would use the WRC as a Greenway. The Greenway movement (ie Sustrans) are much stronger in the UK. The Lederhosen quip leads me to believe it is these people you talk of.

Advertisement