Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Over 5,000 have child benefit suspended

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 554 ✭✭✭ThePower11

How much is Child Benefit? Might be worth my while impregnating some luck lady :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭claire983

I was one of those 5,000 people who did not respond to the letter.
    Well i did but just didnt post it. My bag is the Bermuda Triangle, i put something in it and never to be seen again. Anyway i received another letter stating my payment had stopped and i will receive again once the form has been signed and posted back. I did that only today.. I'v nothing to hide, just forgot was all.. My own fault, could of really done with the money this week.
    :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

mikemac1 wrote: »
    there are also genuine cases.

My mam for example. She has moved house since she started claiming child benefit, therefore didn't get the letter. She only found out about it when she rang the bank to see where the money was and the lady in the phone from the bank told her.

She rang them. She has to change her.address with them

The department are not mind readers :confused:

If you change address of course you need to inform them

I understand that, and concede it was her own fault, I'm just saying that an ad campaign of some kind wouldn't have gone a stray.

It's not something you think about, it just arrives in your bank account each month. They never have any kind of postal correspondence. It's something that would easily slip your mind to be fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

I understand that, and concede it was her own fault, I'm just saying that an ad campaign of some kind wouldn't have gone a stray.

It's not something you think about, it just arrives in your bank account each month. They never have any kind of postal correspondence. It's something that would easily slip your mind to be fair.

I agree that the postal correspondence is a little outdated, but think about how costly it would've been to run advertisements for reminding people.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭battries not included

I think the form below is supposed to be filled out if there is a change in your/child's circumstances..

http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Forms/Documents/cb56.pdf

• Advertisement

I agree that the postal correspondence is a little outdated, but think about how costly it would've been to run advertisements for reminding people.
    Thats a fair point, but even if they issued a press release, plenty of radio stations would have carried it.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Callipo

Load of bollix.

The Government are on a huge media spin via RTE and other media outlets telling people what they think they want to hear.

And guess what? They are right.

Smoke and mirrors.

If they put half as much effort into reducing the countries expenditure they would be doing well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

Those letters are standard, we got one when our eldest finished school.
    Basically, it said prove she was still in school or we've be cut off. She wasn't, do we were, no biggie. I'd say they are using that as a kinda, look we're doing something message

Don't think they are that standard letter, unless 9 year olds leave school, friend of mine got 2 in the last year in relation to their 9 year old.

Callipo wrote: »
    If they put half as much effort into reducing the countries expenditure they would be doing well.

Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but Is that not what this exercise is aimed at doing?

Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but Is that not what this exercise is aimed at doing?

That's what I thought aswell, if my maths is not wrong every 5000 equates to 8.4 million a year. To put that in context we had a referendum to save 5.5 million a year in judges pay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

That's what I thought aswell, if my maths is not wrong every 5000 equates to 8.4 million a year. To put that in context we had a referendum to save 5.5 million a year in judges pay.
    And that's only payments for one child. How many of the 5000+ have more than one child?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

You need a paper trail to make a case for/against an action (suspending payments for example).

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Callipo

No.

It is highlighting something that happens all the time to dupe people.

This is nothing new. It is how the system works.

El Weirdo wrote: »
    And that's only payments for one child. How many of the 5000+ have more than one child?

True, taking an average of 2 children saving in the order of 16 + million, per 5000.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

what about the people who dont have it but should?

my son was born in october and we registered him soon after. we still havent recieved child benefit

Tell him to get a job, bloody sponge.......joke

Callipo wrote: »
    No.

It is highlighting something that happens all the time to dupe people.

This is nothing new. It is how the system works.

I know a number of people who get child benifit, and other than the letter when the child is due to leave school, none of them received this letter before the last year or so.

You need a paper trail to make a case for/against an action (suspending payments for example).

except unless it's registered post, they won't have a paper trail, surely?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭nudger

Stopped ours last year, no letter, nothing. rang them and they said that they had sent out a letter earlier in the year and we hadn't signed it, crap.
    Sent out another one to say no we hadn't left the country. did they not notice the tax been payed from 2 pay packets every week for the last 20 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 firemansammie

my son was born in october and we registered him soon after. we still havent recieved child benefit

My son was also born middle Oct, got a double payment in Dec (for Nov & Dec) maybe you should give them a ring.

nudger wrote: »
    Sent out another one to say no we hadn't left the country. did they not notice the tax been payed from 2 pay packets every week for the last 20 years.
    Unless, you normally pay your PAYE directly to the Dept. of Social Protection instead of the Revenue Commissioner, like everyone else, they probably wouldn't notice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I think it will give the respondents time to make fraudulent paperwork and of course they will then get the payments backdated.

42 days is enough time to respond with relevant paperwork...

Not if your payroll dept is in India, like mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

except unless it's registered post, they won't have a paper trail, surely?

Not sure of the details tbh but AFAIK for important stuff there must be a hard copy of correspondence.

Not sure of the details tbh but AFAIK for important stuff there must be a hard copy of correspondence.

and so they probably have two copies of all letters sent out, on record. but that in itself isn't adequate to prove it was sent and that it was received.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭nudger

El Weirdo wrote: »
    Unless, you normally pay your PAYE directly to the Dept. of Social Protection instead of the Revenue Commissioner, like everyone else, they probably wouldn't notice.

Kinda thought the system wouldn't be that stupid at this stage.

nudger wrote: »
    Kinda thought the system wouldn't be that stupid at this stage.
    Unfortunately, it is.

Although I did hear talk of the two depts. attempting to open better channels of communication on the news some time in the last year...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

I know a number of people who get child benifit, and other than the letter when the child is due to leave school, none of them received this letter before the last year or so.

But then you also have the thousands like myself who have been filling in those forms as a routine for the past few years. My daughter is 6 so at least 6 years for me. Was your friend born in England or elsewhere abroad, or their spouse ? It's old news to me, and a blatant attempt to manipulate people's psyche into thinking the government are doing something new, when in fact it isn't one bit.
    Look, I've been here 15 years, and from the time I was able to understand the news and the system properly, I have been increasingly shocked at the amount of propaganda the government are spinning on RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

but when you're collecting child benefit, you bring your little book don't you? which has your name and address on it? which would surely stand out as something you have to change when you move house?

No books any more, you use your social services card if you want to collect it wherever you go to collect the payment (post office or wherever).

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭fortwilliam

Do you need it?
    i mean really need this payment to keep your child fed and warm?

just wondering why you feel I should pay for your children..?

No books any more, you use your social services card if you want to collect it wherever you go to collect the payment (post office or wherever).

yeah fair enough, or like others said you can get it into your bank apparently. I dunno, I deal with social welfare a bit, and one of the top things on my mind if I've to move is to sort them out.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Why would an ad campaign make any dfference ?

I would imagine a goodly number of folk got the letter and omitted to return it as is common in life "jeez I must send off that letter tomorrow".

We got it and sent it back immediately - because we knew if we left it hang it would get eaten by the sock monster..

Advertisement