Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marvel/Dc animated film

Options
  • 06-01-2012 7:38pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,331 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys,looking to watch some marvel or dc animated films
    What would people recommend?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭Ridley

PerrinV2 wrote: »
    Hey guys,looking to watch some marvel or dc animated films
    What would people recommend?

Ultimate Avengers (the book is better though) and maybe the Wolverine half of Hulk Vs. for Marvel, and Batman Beyond/Batman of the Future: Return of the Joker and Mystery of the Batwoman on the DC side.

Haven't see many of the DC movies admittedly, but the Marvel stuff is alright, I guess. The books they adapt or the live-action movies are of a better standard for me. Depends on what you like, really. Couldn't give a damn about Planet Hulk because Marvel's space stories don't interest me.

Give me an animated movie set in the 90s animated Spider-Man universe. ;)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,331 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

Ridley wrote: »
    Ultimate Avengers (the book is better though) and maybe the Wolverine half of Hulk Vs. for Marvel, and Batman Beyond/Batman of the Future: Return of the Joker and Mystery of the Batwoman on the DC side.

Haven't see many of the DC movies admittedly, but the Marvel stuff is alright, I guess. The books they adapt or the live-action movies are of a better standard for me. Depends on what you like, really. Couldn't give a damn about Planet Hulk because Marvel's space stories don't interest me.

Give me an animated movie set in the 90s animated Spider-Man universe. ;)

Now that would be awesome.
    Watched the Ultimate avengers film,didn't think it was great though.I'll have a look at some of your suggestions,thanks.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

There's an oldish thread here with some discussion & comments on the DC Animated Universe films which the OP might find interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Bistoman

Some Great films Here.

snip

Well worth skimming trough.

Fysh Sez:

Link removed because sites offering free streaming of commercial films are inherently of at-best-dodgy legal status and contrary to the charter.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Bistoman

Sorry. : (

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭DeadParrot

Superman & Batman: Public Enemy
    Batman: Under the Red Hood
    Batman Year One

Must get that avengers one meself

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

DeadParrot wrote: »
    Superman & Batman: Public Enemy
    Batman: Under the Red Hood
    Batman Year One

Must get that avengers one meself

It's only tangentially related but I've been somewhat surprised and impressed to find a good few Marvel cartoons on the UK Netflix, including the two Ultimate Avengers animated films (which, let's be honest, I was never going to pay to watch, but which I might watch if they're effectively free...). Almost nothing from WB though, which means no JLU or BTAS for me :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭Ridley

Fysh wrote: »
    Almost nothing from WB though, which means no JLU or BTAS for me :(

Just as reliable as their DVD releases then. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Batman Year One is great. Follows the comics well and Cranston is class as Gordon.

Batman: Under The Red Hood is fantastic, probably my favorite.

Ridley wrote: »
    Just as reliable as their DVD releases then. ;)

Oh, don't get me started...DC could have a couple of hundred pounds off me in no time if they'd just release proper Region 2 DVD boxsets for JLU and BTAS. But they don't release them, and then they whinge about piracy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Sesudra

Fysh wrote: »
    Oh, don't get me started...DC could have a couple of hundred pounds off me in no time if they'd just release proper Region 2 DVD boxsets for JLU and BTAS. But they don't release them, and then they whinge about piracy.

Agreed! I have all the DC animated stuff on Region 1 DVD, so bizzare that they refused to release them over here, apart from two seasons of BTAS and those 2 episode Justice League collections they put out. I imagine I'll have to import the Young Justice DVD boxset, whenever that comes out :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

What I'd do for this...

Batman-The-Animated-Series-The-Complete-Series.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Don't bother with Ultimate Avengers. Tried to watch it the other day and it seems to be aimed at age 12 and under. Had to turn it off.

Recommendations from me are:

Batman: Year One
    Batman: Mask of the Phantasm
    Batman: Under The Red Hood
    Batman/Superman Movie
    Superman: Doomsday
    Allstar Superman

I will also report back about Green Lantern: First Flight. Mistakenly ordered it instead of Emerald Knights but will hopefully still be good!

I will also report back about Green Lantern: First Flight. Mistakenly ordered it instead of Emerald Knights but will hopefully still be good!

Got 'em both. First Flight is awesome, Emerald Knights was boring.

Justice League: Crisis On Two Earths was great btw.

Might as well use this thread instead of creating a new one but ya I've pretty much seen all the dc animated features now including the most recent Justice League:War(wasn't a huge fan of supes in it though).
    Didn't watch too much marvel stuff,didn't seem as good as the DC stuff I thought.

Thinking I might watch some animated shows now,I would have seen the x-men/batman/spiderman shows from the 90's when I were younger so I dunno whether to re-watch that or something else I haven't seen.
    Any recommendations?

^^I did a rewatch of the entire Batman Animated Series recently and it's still awesome. Doing Spider-man at the moment and it's still good, albeit fairly disjointed in parts. Last season was always my favourite (Secret Wars and Clone Saga episodes) so I'm looking forward to reaching them. Big part of what I loved about those cartoons was the way they didn't bother with the origins. Just took you right into the action!

On the Marvel vs. DC thing, I find it hilarious how absolutely spot on WB are with their animated features, compared to how generally far off the mark they are with their live action efforts. Green Lantern and Green Lantern: First Flight are essentially the same film yet the live action movie is essentially a pile of garbage where the animated one is class. On the other hand, Marvel are the exact opposite. Iron Man films are awesome but their animated version is just a ****ty kids show. A good kids show, I can get behind but not a ****ty one.

^^I did a rewatch of the entire Batman Animated Series recently and it's still awesome. Doing Spider-man at the moment and it's still good, albeit fairly disjointed in parts. Last season was always my favourite (Secret Wars and Clone Saga episodes) so I'm looking forward to reaching them. Big part of what I loved about those cartoons was the way they didn't bother with the origins. Just took you right into the action!
    Kool I probably rewatch Batman and spiderman at some stage so but I'm tempted to try out some of the newer shows first,the spectacular spiderman and Young Justice seem to be well liked even though they got canceled.
    I think there's an avengers series but I dunno how good/bad it is, also might try one of the xmen ones that got canceled(xmen evolution/wolverine and the xmen) if they're any good

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

Kool I probably rewatch Batman and spiderman at some stage so but I'm tempted to try out some of the newer shows first,the spectacular spiderman and Young Justice seem to be well liked even though they got canceled.
    I think there's an avengers series but I dunno how good/bad it is, also might try one of the xmen ones that got canceled(xmen evolution/wolverine and the xmen) if they're any good

Of the newer ones, Wolverine and the X-Men and Spectacular Spider-Man were really good but got cancelled due to financing/Disney's buyout of Marvel.

There are 2 recent Avengers cartoons. Earth's Mightiest Heroes was excellent in my opinion, especially the 1st season and the 1st half of the second.

This was replaced by Avengers Assemble to bring the development in house and have the cast more in line with the movie. Unfortunately it's been a big step down. It's set in the same universe as Ultimate Spider-Man, which is a massive step down from Spectacular also. It's very childish.

Young Justice was very good as well, as was the recent Green Lantern CGI cartoon. Batman The Brave and the Bold was entertaining as well if you're looking for something more light hearted.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭silverbolt

Don't bother with Ultimate Avengers. Tried to watch it the other day and it seems to be aimed at age 12 and under. Had to turn it off.

Recommendations from me are:

Batman: Year One
    Batman: Mask of the Phantasm
    Batman: Under The Red Hood
    Batman/Superman Movie
    Superman: Doomsday
    Allstar Superman

i didnt like emerald knights at all - ok demi god of geek fillian is the green lantern which is good but it just went meh with me

Might as well use this thread instead of creating a new one but ya I've pretty much seen all the dc animated features now including the most recent Justice League:War(wasn't a huge fan of supes in it though).
    Didn't watch too much marvel stuff,didn't seem as good as the DC stuff I thought.

I really enjoyed supes in war. Thought it was a nice change but then ive always found superman to bit meh. The grittier flirty slightly sarcastic was a nice change.

• Advertisement
Advertisement