Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yet another Porcupine Tree question....

Options
  • 06-01-2012 1:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭

I have heard of this band, since 1999, but never actually heard an album of theirs. I had only heard some songs on the radio, and just checked out some live stuff.

I think I will start by getting one of their live dvds, as I think this would be anb excellent way of dipping my toes into PT. I enjoy watching live gig dvds too, so which one should I go for?

More importantly, what album should I start with. Just listened to Trains, and the banjo coming in halfways through is just fecking glorious!!

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

From what I've seen of them, Anaesthetise or Arriving Somewhere would be the best bet in terms of DVDs. I haven't watched them in full myself so you might get a better recommendation from someone else on that front.

Edit: Actually they're their only 2 DVDs :o I'd probably swing for Arriving Somewhere myself, based on the track list.

In terms of studio albums, Deadwing or In Absentia (the album Trains is from) would be my recommendations

Personally I reckon Deadwing is their best.

Listening to Trains on one of their live albums now funnily enough :D

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

I think Anesthetize is by far the better of their two live DVDs. But it's probably not great for a new listener, depending on what other stuff you like of course!!

Best album for starters is In Absentia, followed by Deadwing.

Enjoy! This band is like the musical equivalent to heroin, good luck listening to anything else once you get into them.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

I made the mistake of getting their discography and trying to listen to it all at once...

..it takes time to embrace such a band - one album at a time :D

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Deadwing or Fear Of A Blank Planet would be my choices as where to start with their albums.

You really cannot go wrong with any of their albums though imho.

As for getting one of their live dvds, I would have to say Anesthetize. I have it on blu ray (it comes in a bluray/dvd combo pack) and the sound quality is simply stunning in that format.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭RayCon

Dr.Poca wrote: »
    Enjoy! This band is like the musical equivalent to heroin, good luck listening to anything else once you get into them.

:D - true.

Albums go with :
    Deadwing
    Fear Of A Blank Planet
    In Absentia
    Lightbulb Sun
    The Incident

DVD's :
    Either one ... they're both excellent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Been checking out some live stuff all day, and while not familiar with most of their stuff, it's easy to see it's good straight off. I saw the Anesthetize dvd on their site for less than a tenner, no bluray left on the site....

I'll start with InAbsentia and Deadwing as albums, a live one, and then take it from there! :cool::cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,205 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Was nice knowing ya seachto.

I started with FoaBP. Oh that innocent typing noise. That or InAbsentia are best starting points. Man I hope the new album is done this year.

Must dig out On the Sunday of Life this weekend. Been too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭rednik

Anesthetize on blu ray is reference quality and is also an excellent concert, highly recommended.

Mushy wrote: »
    Was nice knowing ya seachto.

I started with FoaBP. Oh that innocent typing noise. That or InAbsentia are best starting points. Man I hope the new album is done this year.

Must dig out On the Sunday of Life this weekend. Been too long.

Just streaming FOABP off the Eircom site. I already listened to InAbsentia amd Deadwing earlier. I do like the live stuff, so will plump up for one of the dvds first. I don't have a bluray player though, so the regular dvd will have to do... :(

I only have the regular dvds too, they're still class.

• Advertisement

So I just ordered the Anesthetize regular dvd for €9 off their website.

I'm up in Dublin next week, so will have a look to see if I can pick up any of their albums.

I may just have to getthe other live dvd too.

I dunno what it is about bands, but even if I don't know their stuff, I will sit and watch live stuff for ages.....

EDIT: Just ordered Arriving Somewhere dvd too, as the setlist is different to Anesthetize. You can't beat live dvds!!

If you go to their website, you can see 'Way Out of Here' from the Anesthetize dvd. I remember only 'liking' that song...then heard that version and it kicked my ears in the balls.

If you go to their website, you can see 'Way Out of Here' from the Anesthetize dvd. I remember only 'liking' that song...then heard that version and it kicked my ears in the balls.

Yeah, the album version of Sleep Together sounds so tame compared to the live version which is absolutely immense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Nea

Yeah, the album version of Sleep Together sounds so tame compared to the live version which is absolutely immense.

+1,000,000.Stunning version.
    What Happens Now is equally as amazing.

Anyone buy Steven's Grace For Drowning?I cant get into it as much as I did with Insurgentes. It seems too jazz influenced for my liking. I have only got it so may give it more listening

Comparing PT to the musical equivalent of heroin is a great statement!

Nea wrote: »

Gah! What Happens Now on Anezthetize is f*cking incredible!! I love how into it Steve clearly is. That's what makes it the better live dvd in my opinion (discounting the better video/audio quality). Steve seems so much more in the zone, and those performances are incredible

Can't find the live version on youtube so I'll substitute it with another great song off that dvd :P

Nea wrote: »
    +1,000,000.Stunning version.

Anyone buy Steven's Grace For Drowning?I cant get into it as much as I did with Insurgentes. It seems too jazz influenced for my liking. I have only got it so may give it more listening

Comparing PT to liquid heroin is a great statement!
    Was never particularly into Sleep together, but seeing it live blew me away.

Not mad on Grace for Drowning. It's not bad, but like you, I find it hard to get into. Wasn't hugely enamoured with Insurgentes either, but I think it's the better of the two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭googsy

Hope they come back to Ireland soon..... gig in the tripod in 2010 was f*ckin' class!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,965 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I really missed the boat on PT, only starting to get in to them now after picking up The Sky Moves Sideways. The presence of Richard Barbieri in the band was the first thing to get me interested, since he was in one of my other favourite bands - Japan - years ago. He continued to work with Steve Jansen and Mick Karn of Japan, and at one point even roped in Steven Wilson for live work - so it was almost like a Japan / PT crossover. Here's an example from 1997:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

So ye know, Stevens next release will be Storm Corrosion, with Mikael Akerfeldt.

So ye know, Stevens next release will be Storm Corrosion, with Mikael Akerfeldt.

Yeah, it's gonna be interesting anyway. I was expecting weird ****, but they said recently that it sounds cinematic to an extent, which has me interested

• Advertisement

Yeah, it's gonna be interesting anyway. I was expecting weird ****, but they said recently that it sounds cinematic to an extent, which has me interested

Yeah because of their kast respective outputs, it wont be as extremely different than expected. Cant wait for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭rednik

Richard's next album is with Steve Hogarth which I pre ordered through the Marillion website. It will be released on Feb 12th. Luckily I got in the first 1000 to get it signed by both.;)

http://www.marillion.com/music/solo/hogarthbarbieri.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭RayCon

rednik wrote: »
    Richard's next album is with Steve Hogarth which I pre ordered through the Marillion website. It will be released on Feb 12th. Luckily I got in the first 1000 to get it signed by both.;)

http://www.marillion.com/music/solo/hogarthbarbieri.htm

hhmmmm interesting ... but Im on record as not liking Hogarth's vocal style.

got the first of my dvds yesterday, want to see it all in one sitting though, to get into the flow of the set...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Jim_Kiy

Based on this song I really thought wow

But I find them/him inconsistent and patchy brilliance..

Interesting opinion, personally I wouldn't rate time flies in their top 20 or so songs, it's a good song, don't get me wrong, but I think they have much better.

Jim_Kiy wrote: »
    Based on this song I really thought wow

But I find them/him inconsistent and patchy brilliance..

Obviously thats opinion, to me they have probably the most consistantly brilliant albums. Also, thats only half of time Flies:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 23 LetsZep

Excellent excellent band, hopefully they come back again soon

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭groovie

Does their drummer get much respect? I find his playing amazing.Like a relaxed Peart sometimes.

• Advertisement

groovie wrote: »
    Does their drummer get much respect? I find his playing amazing.Like a relaxed Peart sometimes.

Yes he does, although not as universal as it should be. Some grooves he has, love his stuff with O5RIC.

Advertisement