Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Australian Skilled Migration Visa - Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28 johnkerry

Just wanted to check if anybody has been refused for that reason or a similar reason. Fraud is a harsh word, you make me feel kinda guilty now for doing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,601 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

It might sound harsh. But its the very definition of fraud.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Mellor wrote: »
    It might sound harsh. But its the very definition of fraud.

Yeah but there was a regular poster who coined the phrase Visa Fibbers rather than Visa fraudsters, makes it sound almost accetable.

Anyway back to Topic I would say you are safe enough JohnKerry as obviously you didn't get deported or refused etc and the 2nd WHV scam was not discovered until late 2009 (Jan 2010) your details might not have been under scrutiny and it is unlikely they have hard evidence you done anything wrong.

I was pretty sure I was going to get sponsorship from the company I worked for. Recession hit, put a lot of contracts on hold. I didn't want to go home for obvious reasons. I took the chance. It worked out. I gained from my infidelity by having the best year of my life, no one got hurt. Harmless fraud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

johnkerry wrote: »
    Just wanted to check if anybody has been refused for that reason or a similar reason. Fraud is a harsh word, you make me feel kinda guilty now for doing it.

As Mellor said it is Fraud call a spade a spade.

No point worrying over it now but remember every time you sign something it says a little bit about you.

• Advertisement

I guess I'll just see what happens. It is Fraud....there, I said it.

I don't think it will hold you back with immigation tbh. And I don't think there is anything majorly wrong with what you did either. Its done now regardless

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 99 ✭✭yogimotorsport

Hi i have read the entire sticky but don't seem to have the answer to my question
    I'm in Australia now 12 months have been working with my company since May 2nd 2011 and have been on a 457 visa since October,My company are willing to nominate me for permanent residency.
    My question is am i eligible to apply as i have only worked for the company for 11 months.?
    I am a fully qualified mechanic with 8 years years experience so should have no problem with the TRA.
    Thanks in advance for any replies

There is no requirement to work for an employer for a specific length of time before applying for ENS.
    Employer sponsored visas are there to facilitate employing overseas workers. Many won't be in australia. So a employment requirement wouldn't make sense

Mellor wrote: »
    There is no requirement to work for an employer for a specific length of time before applying for ENS.
    Employer sponsored visas are there to facilitate employing overseas workers. Many won't be in australia. So a employment requirement wouldn't make sense

So am i right in saying it wont reduce my chances of residency being granted?

• Advertisement

So am i right in saying it wont reduce my chances of residency being granted?

as long as you are sure you can get a Skills assessment then you don't need to work for an employer for a specified time.

If you were stuck for a skills assessment then you just have to do 2 years on a qualifying visa, last 12 months being with the ENS sponsoring employer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 fizzlefozzle

I did a year WHV a while ago, and would love to return to Australia, to stay.

Basically, I have a masters in computer science, and about two years experience, but not in the last year. So I am kind of pretty much a graduate.

I reckon my changes at getting back to Australia are slim to none. I think to apply for the skilled migration, you need at least to be working for a year within the last 24 months, is that correct? So, I need to work for a year here in Ireland to get that 12 month out of 24 going, then I can think of migrating.

I dream of living in Australia, but it's something I really need to plan. Will the new skilled migration thing change the whole layout?

I was also looking at the skilled migration, and it looks like you essentially NEED to do an English test. Can anyone give me details of how that works?

Thanks.

I was also looking at the skilled migration, and it looks like you essentially NEED to do an English test. Can anyone give me details of how that works?

Thanks.

Generally if you have an Irish, British, Canadian or USA passport you don't need to do the IELTS Test as that automatically qualifies you for 6.0 (competent)

If you were short of points say because of age or work experience then you need to increase your points, state sponsorship or partner points can improve your points

also obtaining IELTS at level 7.0 or 8.0 will give you extra points.

You also need to have worked 12 months out of the last 24.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 328 ✭✭Codofwar

In under my boyfriends account but we are both hoping to go to Australia the end of the year..I am a Nurse and he is an electrician..I am in the process of getting my nursing registration at the moment and have been seeking help re: relocating downunder from an Irish company..who have links with hospitals in sydney. The process involves submitting your CV and various other forms and you have a pre-screening interview which if your successful in you will be offered a job. You cannot apply for the 457visa until u accept the job offer and it says it takes 12 weeks..just wondering with these new regulations coming in July will it affect me?Also for my boyfriend with getting a skilled migrant visa being an electrician?

Also the hospitals in sydney are recruiting irish/english/scottish nurses because it needs to be equal opportunity and in the last year they have employed many indian nurses so now they need to balance it therefore there are vacancies in hospitals.

Any tips or advice would really appreciate it..

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭memaul

I did a year WHV a while ago, and would love to return to Australia, to stay.

Basically, I have a masters in computer science, and about two years experience, but not in the last year. So I am kind of pretty much a graduate.

I reckon my changes at getting back to Australia are slim to none. I think to apply for the skilled migration, you need at least to be working for a year within the last 24 months, is that correct? So, I need to work for a year here in Ireland to get that 12 month out of 24 going, then I can think of migrating.

I dream of living in Australia, but it's something I really need to plan. Will the new skilled migration thing change the whole layout?

Thanks.

as far as i know its still possible for you. if you can get an employer to sponsor you and you do well in the IELTS exam you can make up the required points without having the required work experience. thats as far as i know anyway, someone here please correct me if i'm wrong.

the IELTS test is checking how good your english is through written, listening and speaking tests (google ;)). i'm sure its prob tricky enough to do very well in but maybe with a bit of study/practice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭foundry

Hi Declan, Liz and anyone that can help!!

Currently waiting on TRA to be approved, we applied 2-2-12. From reading a thread on Pomsinoz, the current waiting time is approx 6 months due to such a back log in TRA office.:confused: They are currently dealing with November entries! :eek::eek:

If 6 months is accurate that puts is in August and we have missed the July deadline.

Is there exceptions for people who have applied before a certain time or are we back to the start???

We are using an agent who told us the waiting time was 4-6 weeks.. pure bull.
    If we miss TRA deadline we still have to pay them for there 'services'?

Anyone in same boat, or anyone with advice please reply.

Thanks.

Just spotted this.. Does it mean April 5 is cut off?

The volume, complexity and insufficiency of evidence provided with applications for TRA Migration Skills Assessment (MSA) and Migration Points Advice (MPA) applications have resulted in substantially longer processing times than initially expected.

TRA will endeavour to provide an outcome by 30 June 2012 for all MSA and MPA applications received by 5 April 2012. Applications will continue to be processed in order of receipt. Applicants whose assessments are finalised between 1 June 2012 and 30 June 2012 will also be notified of their outcome via email where this has been provided.

Please check your eligibility for these programs and confirm that you have met the evidence requirements before submitting your decision ready application.

Please read the information about the MSA or MPA Programs available on the TRA website.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 96 ✭✭LizOHagan

foundry wrote: »
    Hi Declan, Liz and anyone that can help!!

Currently waiting on TRA to be approved, we applied 2-2-12. From reading a thread on Pomsinoz, the current waiting time is approx 6 months due to such a back log in TRA office.:confused: They are currently dealing with November entries! :eek::eek:

If 6 months is accurate that puts is in August and we have missed the July deadline.

Is there exceptions for people who have applied before a certain time or are we back to the start???

We are using an agent who told us the waiting time was 4-6 weeks.. pure bull.
    If we miss TRA deadline we still have to pay them for there 'services'?

Anyone in same boat, or anyone with advice please reply.

Thanks.

Hello Foundry

It is true that a large backlog exists and this is to be expected with July 1 changes etc. TRA are hoping to process applications rec before 5/4 that are 'decision ready' (so prepared correctly with ALL required evidence submitted) before the June 30th deadline. For those reliant on State Sponsorship this may pose a problem with timing and for those borderline applications I strongly urge them to consider the IELTS (this will depend on points score).

Good Luck, Liz

Liz thanks so much for your prompt reply.

We are confident our application is up to standard as we had an agent look over it. We are hoping to apply to the State of WA. We have the IELTS done, awaiting results.

Is there anything else we can do? Is it to early for medicals and garda clearance?

hi folks,

just one or two quick questions.

I possibly have a company that will be willing to sponsor me. I will be graduating as a Civil Engineer in May.

Am I right in thinking that the points system does not come into play for the 457.

Regarding the skills assessment the Engineers Australia website states that "Engineers who come to Australia on temporary 457 visa do not have have their qualifications assessed by an assessment authority provided that their visa application is accompanied by an employers acceptance of their qualifications"

I'm wondering if this is sufficient for the Australian Government or am I better to have my skills assessed. As I only have a months experience I want to make my application as good as possible and if it means having to get my skills assessed I'll do it. I just dont want to pay to have it done if there is no need.

Did anyone on here get their 457 granted without having much work experience. Is it good enough that you have the company willing to sponsor you and have your relevant qualification.

• Advertisement

Hi i have read the entire sticky but don't seem to have the answer to my question
    I'm in Australia now 12 months have been working with my company since May 2nd 2011 and have been on a 457 visa since October,My company are willing to nominate me for permanent residency.
    My question is am i eligible to apply as i have only worked for the company for 11 months.?
    I am a fully qualified mechanic with 8 years years experience so should have no problem with the TRA.
    Thanks in advance for any replies

Just one more question maybe Declan or Liz could answer
    Is there any visa such as regional or skilled that i could transfer my visa too in order that i wouldn't be tied to the one employer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Just one more question maybe Declan or Liz could answer
    Is there any visa such as regional or skilled that i could transfer my visa too in order that i wouldn't be tied to the one employer

I assume you are on a 457 if you are tied to one employer, you cannot transfer to a regional or skilled visa, you'll have to apply for these separately.

memaul wrote: »
    hi folks,

just one or two quick questions.

I possibly have a company that will be willing to sponsor me. I will be graduating as a Civil Engineer in May.

Am I right in thinking that the points system does not come into play for the 457.
    Correct
    Regarding the skills assessment the Engineers Australia website states that "Engineers who come to Australia on temporary 457 visa do not have have their qualifications assessed by an assessment authority provided that their visa application is accompanied by an employers acceptance of their qualifications"
    I'm wondering if this is sufficient for the Australian Government or am I better to have my skills assessed. As I only have a months experience I want to make my application as good as possible and if it means having to get my skills assessed I'll do it. I just dont want to pay to have it done if there is no need.
    Should be sufficient.
    Did anyone on here get their 457 granted without having much work experience. Is it good enough that you have the company willing to sponsor you and have your relevant qualification.
    Not me personally, but I know some people who had < 1 year exp in Ireland got a job here and were sponsored without hassle - albeit after working with them for a few months

thanks hussey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 GONEFISHING22

Hi, I have a few questions and would be grateful for some advice. I am going to apply for the WA state sponsor 176.

How common is it for people to get the full 20 points from the IELTS test. You must get band 8 in all 4 elements of the test not an average of 8. I will be taking the test here in Australia.

How long does it take to get state sponsorship prior to applying to DIAC for the 176 and do I need to prove 65 points before they will sponsor me as it will take a couple of weeks to get my Ielts results to come through.

Also if you want to claim 5 points for 3 years work experience what exact evidence must you provide and do you need to get it assessed by the relevant body in Australia like your degree.

Many thanks

Hi, I have a few questions and would be grateful for some advice. I am going to apply for the WA state sponsor 176.

How common is it for people to get the full 20 points from the IELTS test. You must get band 8 in all 4 elements of the test not an average of 8. I will be taking the test here in Australia. [LIZ] Many people struggle getting the 20 points first time so you may need to repeat, the key is to study

How long does it take to get state sponsorship prior to applying to DIAC for the 176 and do I need to prove 65 points before they will sponsor me as it will take a couple of weeks to get my Ielts results to come through. [LIZ] Now that we are so close to the June 30th Deadline timing is an issue - you would need to lodge state sponsorship application by June 1st if you want a result under existing program

Also if you want to claim 5 points for 3 years work experience what exact evidence must you provide and do you need to get it assessed by the relevant body in Australia like your degree. [LIZ] You need references and tax evidence of paid employment, it is not compulsory at this point to get points test advice by the skill assessing body

Many thanks

Hello...see my responses above...Liz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 SteveGalway33

Hi guys....very much in need of advice here....I am 33, 34 in May. I am graduating as a secondary school teacher in May 2012 also. I have no paid experience.
    I have however, employment as a Special Needs Assistant (SNA) since Janury for 9 hours a week and I also tutor students privately, on the secondary school curriculum, in my home or indeed, at theirs. I have evidence of this, only recently, going into my bank account as cash payments (I just kept it in my wallet and spent it previously :) )

I have an aunt that can sponsor me in a sponsor designated area (Perth), but I think, or it is my understanding, that the fact I do not have the 12 months out of 24 work experience, I still can't get sponsorhip. Is this correct? Seems harsh if it is.

Also, is their an appeal system I can approach with regards to, before applying for a visa? The reason I ask is due to the current state of employment in Ireland right now for teachers. It is required to have 20 hours a week paid employment, yet this is a full time teaching job and are very scarce, the most people seem to be getting are 14 hour weeks.

So as you can see, I'm in quite a conundrum and I'm really really stuck. Any advice or help anybody can give me as there seems to be an awful lot of mis-information on the internet right now, from migration "agents" and other companies.

Thanks in advance

Hi guys....very much in need of advice here....I am 33, 34 in May. I am graduating as a secondary school teacher in May 2012 also. I have no paid experience.
    I have however, employment as a Special Needs Assistant (SNA) since Janury for 9 hours a week and I also tutor students privately, on the secondary school curriculum, in my home or indeed, at theirs. I have evidence of this, only recently, going into my bank account as cash payments (I just kept it in my wallet and spent it previously :) ) [LIZ] Under skilled migration you need taxable evidence of paid employment

I have an aunt that can sponsor me in a sponsor designated area (Perth), but I think, or it is my understanding, that the fact I do not have the 12 months out of 24 work experience, I still can't get sponsorhip. Is this correct? Seems harsh if it is. [LIZ] Under the current skilled program you need the 12/24 work experience no matter what. This is not harsh as it is a skilled program and you need to demonstrate your skills by way of work experience.

Also, is their an appeal system I can approach with regards to, before applying for a visa? The reason I ask is due to the current state of employment in Ireland right now for teachers. It is required to have 20 hours a week paid employment, yet this is a full time teaching job and are very scarce, the most people seem to be getting are 14 hour weeks.

[LIZ] We are still waiting for full details of skilled program from July 1st however it would seem that the requirement for minimum work experience has been removed. However, with no work experience you will struggle to meet the points tests and under the new system the higher your points score the better chance of receiving an invitation to apply for a visa.

So as you can see, I'm in quite a conundrum and I'm really really stuck. Any advice or help anybody can give me as there seems to be an awful lot of mis-information on the internet right now, from migration "agents" and other companies.

[LIZ] I recommend that you review the skill assessment criteria and the IELTS test as your first step and then you can review the visa application criteria depending on what date you have completed the skill assessment/IELTS. Please also note you are considering your visa options at a critical time of change for Immigration so you will find alot of misinformation being circulated. At this point www.immi.gov.au is the only official source as well as experienced visa agents registered with www.mara.gov.au.

Thanks in advance

Hello ...please see my responses above which I hope you will find useful....Liz

LizOHagan wrote: »
    Hello ...please see my responses above which I hope you will find useful....Liz

Thanks for that Liz....
    My next step now is to get my teaching qualification ratified in May and sit an IELTS test

Am I right in assuming that if an employer in Perth or Sydney offers me a job, I "should" gain a visa?

Or will my lack of experience go against me for the visa still?

Thanks Liz

• Advertisement

Thanks for that Liz....
    My next step now is to get my teaching qualification ratified in May and sit an IELTS test

Am I right in assuming that if an employer in Perth or Sydney offers me a job, I "should" gain a visa?

Or will my lack of experience go against me for the visa still?

Thanks Liz

Sorry for bursting your bubble here Steve, but it is extremely difficult to get a full time teaching job with no visa, I know several teachers on WHV who are working as standin teachers, but they say it's extremely unlikely they can get sponsored.
    If you have no experience you'll find it even harder to get a visa. Even if your Aunt offers to sponsor you.

Advice would be to read this entire thread, and then read up on the immi website to see if you qualified.

A job offer is one thing, the red tape and sponsoring process is something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭RedPaddyX

Hello...see my responses above...Liz

Liz - quick question

What documentation for work experience assessment needs to be certified copies. I know the Reference Letters should be but what about: tax documents, payslips etc (other supporting documentation I am including) - do these need to be certified copies too or will photocopies suffice for these?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 seller2010

Hi justa quick question for experts out there. my husband is a telecoms engineer and from looking at recruitment sites it seems that they are in demand in Oz but the jobs offered do not offer sponsorship. We were looking at the 175 visa and cannot believe the cost of applying. We would happily pay it if we were to get a refund if visa was not forthcoming but seems that it is non-refundable??
    So, we were wondering if it is the case that his skill is particularly sought after then would we be better off waiting till after the new system is implemented in July i.e. if we submit our expression of interest and get called upon to submit an application then is this an indication of a good chance of success with our application?
    I should also point out that he is 39 so not sure if age is going against us at this stage. He would also be bringing baggage in the form of me and 3 toddlers, does this affect his application? I do hope to work there and while i'm on the sol, i don't think that i'm particularly in demand in Oz
    Thanks

Sorry forgot to add that I have a brother in oz with pr so would it be any quicker/easier/cheaper to apply for 176 visa with him as my sponsor?

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭bigbadcon

Just wondering how long the visa process takes from the point where your case office receives your medicals and police clearances for the 175 visa?

Im at this stage now. Im assuming its kinda in the bag at this stage...

hopefully :D

bigbadcon wrote: »
    Just wondering how long the visa process takes from the point where your case office receives your medicals and police clearances for the 175 visa?

Im at this stage now. Im assuming its kinda in the bag at this stage...

hopefully :D

Did they ask for it or you just gave them to them?
    They asked for mine and was finalised within a few days after

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭bigbadcon

hussey wrote: »

They asked for them so I'm in the process of getting them now.Will probably take me a couple of weeks to get all the stuff together as I have to add my son to the visa also with the 1022 form.

So is the visa activated from the date of the medical/police clearance?

If so is it always a year you get?

bigbadcon wrote: »
    hussey wrote: »

They asked for them so I'm in the process of getting them now.Will probably take me a couple of weeks to get all the stuff together as I have to add my son to the visa also with the 1022 form.

So is the visa activated from the date of the medical/police clearance?

If so is it always a year you get?
    No it's granted when it's granted(usually when police&med certs are cleared) and activated when you arrive in Aus (or for ENS on grant day)

and Yes 1 year for activation

Redpaddyx All documents need to be scanned originals or certified copies...Liz

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭trixyben

guys wonder if anyone can help me with this one...

im applying for a indepentant visa (175 i think) and am now at the skills assessment stage, i am a qualified nurse of 2 years and qualified here in Ireland, so my question is do i need a skills assessment done? someone said if you qualified in an EU country you dont need one any truth in it?

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Shrickman

folks,
    I think it's too late to get your visa app in before the 1st July. Why? Well in my case vetass the Aussie dept that assess my skills and qualifications don't seem to be looking at any new applicants this side of July.it says so on their website.in saying that they sent me the form and were willing for me to sbmir it with $670 fee. So without your. Qualifs being rubber stamped you can't apply for the visa.so your bunched until July.

I'm open to correction on this btw..
    Anyone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Fiona44

Shrickman wrote: »
    folks,
    I think it's too late to get your visa app in before the 1st July. Why? Well in my case vetass the Aussie dept that assess my skills and qualifications don't seem to be looking at any new applicants this side of July.it says so on their website.in saying that they sent me the form and were willing for me to sbmir it with $670 fee. So without your. Qualifs being rubber stamped you can't apply for the visa.so your bunched until July.

I'm open to correction on this btw..
    Anyone?

I was in touch in the institute that are doing my skills assessment and they said turn around time will be 1-2 weeks so as long as I have it in by the start of June I should be fine.

It must just depend on the department that is providing the skills assessment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

trixyben wrote: »

im applying for a indepentant visa (175 i think) and am now at the skills assessment stage, i am a qualified nurse of 2 years and qualified here in Ireland, so my question is do i need a skills assessment done? someone said if you qualified in an EU country you dont need one any truth in it?

cheers
    I would think so , what does the FAQ say in relation to your skill?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Shrickman

Hi Fiona,
    WHo is your assessing body? is it Vetaassess? cos it looks like theyre not taking anymore apps

cheers

Everyone needs a skill assessment for GSM, you cant apply without one or your application would be rejected, did you not read this?

I think 'someone' is confused with a 457 where certain countries have to do a skills assessment.

If you are a nurse you probably should look at this

http://www.anmc.org.au/userfiles/file/international_docs/On-Line%20Application%20Information%201%20july%202011.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 270 ✭✭s.c

cheers

Not sure of this is any good to you but when you apply online for 175 visa, there is the option for selection "Receipt for Skills Assessment" when you go to upload documents.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Dollymixx

A little off topic here but without starting another thread I'm hoping someone can answer my question. I'm in the process of applying for pr (856 ens) - do I need to complete Form 80 (character assessment)? I have a checklist from immi which is dated January 2012 which does not mention it, however I have heard of others submitting it and have seen it referred to in another checklist for the same visa, also from immi.
    Thanks in advance to anyone who knows - I've had a look through here and poms and can't find a definitive answer...

Dollymixx wrote: »
    A little off topic here but without starting another thread I'm hoping someone can answer my question. I'm in the process of applying for pr (856 ens) - do I need to complete Form 80 (character assessment)? I have a checklist from immi which is dated January 2012 which does not mention it, however I have heard of others submitting it and have seen it referred to in another checklist for the same visa, also from immi.
    Thanks in advance to anyone who knows - I've had a look through here and poms and can't find a definitive answer...

I did include Form 80 in my application, safer doing it rather than they come back and ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭RedPaddyX

RedPaddyX wrote: »
    Liz - quick question

What documentation for skilled work experience assessment needs to be certified copies for application to Engineers Australia? I know the Reference Letters should be but what about: tax documents, payslips etc (other supporting documentation I am including) - do these need to be certified copies too or will photocopies suffice for these?

Anyone got an answer to my question? Thanks guys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 270 ✭✭s.c

Redpaddyx All documents need to be scanned originals or certified copies...Liz

Does anyone know how difficult it will be to gain a visa once SkillSelect come in?

Will the minimum points still be 65?

Will a person be able to see their position on the list?

For example, if 200 people on the list, can we see their points, compared to mine etc?

• Advertisement
Advertisement