Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kopimism Ireland

Options
  • 05-01-2012 5:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭

By now I'm sure you've heard about the official recognition of the religion "kopimism" in Sweden by the Swedish Goverment

(If not here's a link http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-16424659)

(For those of you not bothered to read it, Kopimism is essentially a phony religion so people can say

"Well, piracy is our religion, therefore we should be allowed to do it")

Anyway, I was thinking, with the way things are going (SOPA etc.) maybe we should start something like this in Ireland, maybe get the Pirate Bay unblocked?

What do ya's think?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Jamez735 wrote: »
    What do ya's think?
    I think it's a load of bollocks and what were the Swedes thinking?

What special rights (if any) are granted in Sweden to religions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

It takes thirty seconds tops to get around the 'block' on Pirate Bay if you're on Eircom and know how to use Google, and all without having to pretend to believe in a religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭The One Who Knocks

It takes thirty seconds tops to get around the 'block' on Pirate Bay if you're on Eircom and know how to use Google, and all without having to pretend to believe in a religion.

Sure, but lets be honest, the adverage joe doesn't know how to use Google ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Dades wrote: »

I think it's fantastic. It shines a spotlight on the ridiculousness of states "recognising" religions or giving them special treatment (not sure if Sweden does but a lot do)!
    It will also hopefully lead to similar religions being set up throughout Europe and challenges being made when secular states discriminate and refuse to show them the same "respect" they show other religions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

I really think this should be their logo. To avoid confusion.

Trollface-3078_preview.jpg

I remember Kopimi getting started back before I stopped using TPB. As I recall (and as a quick google confirms) it was a little symbol you put on your work saying you were ok with it being copied as long as credit was given. It wasn't a license to pirate everything, more like legal piracy. Which is no fun.

Link

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Much as I'd prefer it to happen that way, I don't think religions will die out by application of reason and people being sensible.

It's probably going to happen because of new religions like Kopimism making religion overall more and more embarrassing. Plenty of "real" religions work on a person's sense of shame. Newer, dafter religions will make people ashamed of being religious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭18AD

Bring back thepiratebay!

I will pray* for this.

*upload

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

The Pirate Bay is still there and in fairly common usage. The whole trial thing didn't manage to kill it. Not sure what it's like anymore though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Why do people still use torrents?

While I fear such a discussion blurs the lines between kompimism's goals and that of piracy I'd imagine it's because of it's free nature. Usenet servers or file servers usually charge to give you full download speed.
    Each has it's strenghts and weaknesses imo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Someone PM me the best alternative to Torrents please! I hear there's some good ones...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Dave! wrote: »
    Someone PM me the best alternative to Torrents please! I hear there's some good ones...

-Downpours.
    -Deluges.
    -Turbulents (sp?).
    -Floods.

Rapidshare
    Fileserve
    Filesonic

etc etc...

I personally use Rapidshare and pay for the premium service, works out a few euro per month for full speeds, which means I can download a, ahem, ''file'', let's say 700mb as a completely random example in just a few minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Rapidshare
    Fileserve
    Filesonic

etc etc...

I personally use Rapidshare and pay for the premium service, works out a few euro per month for full speeds, which means I can download a, ahem, ''file'', let's say 700mb as a completely random example in just a few minutes.

I don't get it. How is rapidshare different to a torrent site? Seems to be the exact same thing on the surface?

BdW.jpg:o

For torrents you're relying on other people for your speeds, so sometimes it can be fast enough (600kbps etc), but then other times it may drop down to dial up era speeds, or it might not download at all. When I used torrents sometimes I'd be waiting days for something to download.

With Rapidshare, once a file is online I get an average download speed of 2.3mbps (using the premium service), meaning I can download what I want in minutes, costs roughly €6 per month which I am more than happy to pay.

If I get home from work and fancy downloading some entertainment, I find a link to it online, head off to make a cup of coffee and a sandwich and by the time I'm get back to my computer my 'entertainment' is ready for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

hmmmm... Intriguing. Where's the best place to find links to Rapidshare files?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

An outbreak of support for religion on A+A?

What a strange start to the year.

robindch wrote: »

haha, yeah about that, didn't really know what category this thread falls under....

anyway, how exactly does one go about getting kopimism officially recognized by the Government?

where do ya get the magical "make a religion" forms?

(RANDOM: ha ha just found out followers of kopimism are called kopimi)
    get it? KOPI MI (COPY ME)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Improbable

Jamez735 wrote: »
    RANDOM: ha ha just found out followers of kopimism are called kopimi)
    get it? KOPI MI (COPY ME)

ben-bernanke-clap.gif

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

robindch wrote: »

it's using religion as a cover for illicit activities, so A+A isn't so different from many religions...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

fitz0 wrote: »
    The Pirate Bay is still there and in fairly common usage. The whole trial thing didn't manage to kill it. Not sure what it's like anymore though.

I use it all the time, for music mainly, for which it's fine for maintream stuff not so great for anything a bit less so, i don't really bother downloading anything else as i wouldn't use it again except in very rare cases. Movies i just stream, my eh, religion, roman small hardriveism, forbids wasting hard drive space on movies i won't watch again!;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I assume when people are discussing torrents here, it is for non-copyrighted material?

Right? Right?

I assume when people are discussing torrents here, it is for non-copyrighted material?

Right? Right?
    Naturally, I'm an atheist, wouldn't dream of downloading copyrighted material.

it's using religion as a cover for illicit activities, so A+A isn't so different from many religions...

It's using the ridiculous notion of state favourtism for religious beliefs to continue to highlight it's cause. Kopimi is simply an invitation by the creator of some materials text, music etc. who offer their materials to be reused anywhere as long as they're are credited.
    The movement like the Pirate Party (horrible choice of name aside) is one that looks to change copyright law rather than to protect people who download illegally.

Whilst these groups tend to be a tad idealistic they provide a necessary alternate to the other extremes which are the likes of SOPA which allows sites to be shut down without fair process. These are the people that are so opposed in thinking that they will actually put effort in to fight SOPA and it's type whereas I and many others will sit and write about it.

Anyway, does anyone know anything about the laws related to religion registration?

I know in America, all you have to do is say you are a member, and thats it.

I've been talking to a few people on the Kopimism IRC and basically, if we can get the form, they can help us fill it out (with rituals etc)

So who do I need to get in contact with?
    And does the blasphemy law still exist in Irelannd?

thanks,

EDIT: oooh just thinking, if we made up a religious holiday , we wouln't have to go to work. GENIUS!
    lol Seed-mas,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Free, fullspeed, automatic downloads. Any more questions?

Right? Right?

Obviously, that 700MB example MagicMarker was referring to are old Linux ISOs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

Considering the blasphemy laws here, Irish Kopimism would prove a potent test for the legal system.

amacachi wrote: »
    Free, fullspeed, automatic downloads. Any more questions?

Torrents have changed since I used them then.

• Advertisement

Torrents have changed since I used them then.

Meh, been that way since around 2003 when I started using them when they really hit the anime scene. Set the upload speed lowish, start a coupla RSS subscriptions, done and done. Since the 512kbps Eircom connection I had back then to the 10Meg connection I have with another ISP torrents have always run at pretty much fullspeed.
    There's the odd thing that's hard to find easily on torrents but there's plenty that's I found on torrent sites that I couldn't find elsewhere. There's only been once when I had to use Megaupload/Rapidshare, probably not worth 60 quid a year. :pac:
    EDIT: IRC can be better again. Depending on how things go with the availability of torrents I may go back to it or try newsgroups. I sure as hell won't be paying for free Linux ISOs. :pac:

Advertisement